[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lds/ - Mormon General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: 64277537.jpg (207 KB, 500x673) Image search: [Google]
64277537.jpg
207 KB, 500x673
:)

>their temples are tip-fucking-top tho
>>
>God is an alien and has a wife
pretty idolatrous, m8
>>
How was sacrament for you guys today? Anyone go to a YSA ward?
>>
>>505838

>watching that distorted gobbledy-gook on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnaa5MQIH94

those hieroglyphics were abraham bro
>>
>literally at war with the US government
>leader assassinated after he announces his run for the presidency
>huge cross-country exodus
>Mountain Meadows Massacre

I don't care about their theology but they have a fascinating history.
>>
Went full capitalist after being deprived of the joy of multiple wives. Prosperity gospel is a fundamental part of the religion.
>>
Welcome to eternal salvation guis, with a voiceover by James Earl Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms6ny86rXU4
>>
ENDLESS
>>
>>505829
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4y7x9LRyY
Josheph Smith was called a Prophet dum dum dum dum....
>>
>>506063

...dum!
>>
>>506063
... That sounds kind of...
Dum dum dum dum!
>>
>>505861
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE
>>
File: Washington_D.C._Temple_At_Dusk.jpg (2 MB, 2948x2004) Image search: [Google]
Washington_D.C._Temple_At_Dusk.jpg
2 MB, 2948x2004
>tfw I live 2 miles from this
When I was really young I used to think that the LDS Temple was actually the Emerald City from Oz.
>>
Fucking space christians
Not gonna lie tho your book made me kek super hard, I wonder why you call zeus by another name, elohime.
>>
>>508724

kind of appropriate that it's saudi arabian tier tacky, given that its a whacky, polytheistic heavily localised version of christianity written by a conman "prophet"
>>
File: 95.jpg (87 KB, 291x299) Image search: [Google]
95.jpg
87 KB, 291x299
Literally Islam for white people.
>>
File: 31.jpg (130 KB, 1497x957) Image search: [Google]
31.jpg
130 KB, 1497x957
>>508930
Classic Arabian and Muslim architecture looks a lot better than that, which seems designed to be as ugly and unnatural as possible, reminds me of pic related. That only looks like contemporary capitalist Arabian architecture.
>>
>>508937
>Lutherans using this as a criticism
Martin Luther also took note of the similarities between Islam and Protestantism in the rejection of idols, although he noted Islam was much more drastic in its complete rejection of images. In On War against the Turk, Luther is actually less critical of the Turks than he is of the Pope, whom he calls an anti-Christ, or the Jews, whom he describes as "the Devil incarnate".[16] He urges his contemporaries to also see the good aspects in the Turks, and refers to some who were favourable to the Ottoman Empire, and "who actually want the Turk to come and rule, because they think that our German people are wild and uncivilized - indeed that they are half-devil and half-man".[17]
>>
>>508963
The Ottomans also felt closer to the Protestants than to the Catholics. At one point, a letter was sent from Suleiman the Magnificent to the "Lutherans" in Flanders, claiming that he felt close to them, "since they did not worship idols, believed in one God and fought against the Pope and Emperor".[18][19]
This notion of religious similarities was again taken up in epistolary exchanges between Elizabeth I of England and Sultan Murad III.[20] In one correspondence, Murad entertained the notion that Islam and Protestantism had "much more in common than either did with Roman Catholicism, as both rejected the worship of idols", and argued for an alliance between England and the Ottoman Empire.[21]
In a 1574 letter to the "Members of the Lutheran sect in Flanders and Spain", Murad III made considerable efforts to highlight the similarities between Islamic and Protestants principles. He wrote:
"As you, for your part, do not worship idols, you have banished the idols and portraits and "bells" from churches, and declared your faith by stating that God Almighty is one and Holy Jesus is His Prophet and Servant, and now, with heart and soul, are seeking and desirous of the true faith; but the faithless one they call Papa does not recognize his Creator as One, ascribing divinity to Holy Jesus (upon him be peace!), and worshiping idols and pictures which he has made with his own hands, thus casting doubt upon the oneness of God and instigating how many servants to that path of error"
—1574 letter of Murad III to the "Members of the Lutheran sect in Flanders and Spain".[22]
>>
File: 1309156965214.jpg (18 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1309156965214.jpg
18 KB, 320x240
>>508963
>>508964
>Why would Protestants be sympathetic towards, and find parallels in, the religion of an empire that stands opposed to European nations that have Catholicism - a church that at the time brutally repressed Protestantism - as a state religion?
>>
>>508979
>Protestants didn't engage in rampant and brutal repression of variations of Protestantism they didn't like
>>
File: Martin.jpg (148 KB, 1023x681) Image search: [Google]
Martin.jpg
148 KB, 1023x681
>>508963
>>508964

Would you care to estimate how much beer and pork Luther consumed during his lifetime?
>>
>>508979
Well with stuff like the 30 year war the Catholics were a far bigger threat than the Islam. In fact the Turks would make natural political allies as both the Protestant countries and the Islamic ones would want to see the Vatican weakened.

You need to understand this was a time when the Pope would literally tell his generals to go conqueror your country if your king decided he was Protestant.
>>
>>505861
I was with you guys at nonstop space orgy, but I don't think that I could go through life with no donuts.

Sorry, I guess the LDS just isn't for me.
>>
>>509018
I was just being sarcastic, for the Catholic LARPers that seem honestly confused as to why Protestant kingdoms would view Islam and the Ottoman Empire as a lesser threat - or even potential ally - when compared to neighbouring Catholic kingdoms
>>
>>508724

I drove by this building on my way out of Washington. It caused everyone in the car to wonder what it was.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.