[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When neurologists have proven the nature of consciousness to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
When neurologists have proven the nature of consciousness to be a behavioral process in the brain how long will it take philosophers to abandon the intellectual poison that is dualism?
>>
I don't think very many philosopher still hold the position, even the religious thinkers seem to be dropping it.
>>
wtf, name one philosopher who is a serious dualist in 2015.
>>
>>505554
A person who wants to believe in dualism will still believe in dualism.

Homeopathy has not been completely dropped yet either.
>>
>>505554
It will never explain why things are the way they are which is the actually interesting question, sure everything works in a certain physical way in our physical reality but the subjective experience itself is a lot more interesting to research.

also our understanding of the outside world is limited by our senses and human point of view, we can't know what is actually out there.
>>
Dualism sounds too specific to me, like they are chasing a carrot when they consider it. How can we know anything without putting an amount of value into what we think? Without the value, that is automatically assigned in our heads, what is there? We cannot know, we have a value for this assigned in our heads.
>>
>>505554
What do you mean by "behavioural process" in this statement?
>>
>>506628
Daniel Dennett?
> But he's a computationalist
It's dualism in disguise.
>>
>>505554
most aren't
>>
>>505554
>When neurologists have proven the nature of consciousness to be a behavioral process in the brain

> when

Yeah sure buddy, that shit's right around the corner. Neuroscience gots them fancy 'putas and whizzy-magoos now, so this should be a matter of days.
>>
>>505554
>He didn't read Hegel yet...
Dualism died with Descartes

Also would gladly like some sources on your assumption, it's quite interesting
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.