[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did medieval armour piece together? I want to understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 16
File: ARMAH.jpg (146 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
ARMAH.jpg
146 KB, 900x600
How did medieval armour piece together?

I want to understand more, so I can draw it. I've loe to depict a battle scene, bit I'll need an understanding of how the armour functions.

Also, a big breasted woman probably couldn't wear a standard breastplate, but wear a modified cuirass, I'd assume.
>>
No, women did not wear standard breastplates.
They didn't wear shit, because they didn't go to war.
>>
>>502418
>Also, a big breasted woman probably couldn't wear a standard breastplate, but wear a modified cuirass, I'd assume.

6.5/10, decent b8
>>
>>502443
Nah, just asking in context to all the fantasy shit you see with the 'boobplate' which never would have been practical in a proper situation.

If a woman were to wear armour, I'd assume it would be a breastplate or cuirass same as anyone, but if her tits were too big, she'd be fucked on that department.
>>
>>502418
>>502448
She could probably bind her breasts. Unless she has really huge tits, that should be enough to enable her to fit into a typical cuirass.
>>
File: yRjDKpF.gif (840 KB, 420x717) Image search: [Google]
yRjDKpF.gif
840 KB, 420x717
>>502418

Everything ties onto a short, close fitting jacket called a doublet that has laces attached. You start at the bottom with the feet and work your way up.

Gif highly related.
>>
>>502459
That's convienent? I thought it was a case of throwing on chainmail, and then working from the chest outwards.

You'd place a gorget on, then affix your breastplate/cuirass, then your arm armour, then the pauldrons or whatever.

I've never heard of the doublet. That's interesting.
>>
File: grace_holley_plate11.jpg (369 KB, 500x819) Image search: [Google]
grace_holley_plate11.jpg
369 KB, 500x819
>>502448

They would modify the cuirass in some way to fit the body of the wearer. Having the curves in different places but still close fitting.

Not just sticking two bowls on the front for her to shove her boobs into.

Pic related is what women's armour should look like. Just like mens armour only a tad more shapely.
>>
>>502470

Greatly depends on the era and type of armour of course. Throwing on a maille shirt, tying maille trousers to your regular trousers, then strapping on a breastplate is more or less how it worked when plate armour started to come back. By the 15th century rolls around though, the armour is close, almost tightly fitting to the wearer (as it's protective enough by itself without another layer of maille below, so you need to strap and tie it close to the wearers body.
>>
File: Hastings.jpg (74 KB, 200x208) Image search: [Google]
Hastings.jpg
74 KB, 200x208
>>502470

Also if you go from the chest outwards, the bits you've already put on will get in the way of what you need to do next.

This site has a good explanation, with pictures, based on 15th century instructions.
>>
>>502505

http://www.selohaar.org/essays/arming.htm
>>
>>502505
>>502506
Ah, thankyou a lot for this!

See, I'm wanting to make a lot of art with armour like this, albeit with a slight fantasy vibe, so understanding it helps massively, considering I wanted to do a soldier being armed in armour from start to end.
>>
>>502472
Isnt the belly area kind of bad? Seems like a good spot to thrust something and it to not just deflect away.
>>
>>502581

Not really. It's still rounded and you can see its angled slightly so a thrust would still be deflected away.

It's also from a movie so some artistic licenser should be factored in. Possibly have the fauld (the 'skirt' playes) a little higher where her middle fingers are, but it's a minor detail. On the whole that's what a womans armour should be like, not two metal bowls taped to her nipples.
>>
>>502459
one must be feel awesome and fucking unstoppable when in full plate
>>
>>502605
Someone who had full plate also knew about its weaknesses, so they would be more concerned about guarding their weak spots.
>>
>>502605
>>502621

Yep, you're a tank. An unstoppable badass.

But also acutely aware that there are also other tanks and tank hunters out there as well.
>>
>>502605
Mail also does this. I can't overstate the effects of an enclosed helmet on my mentality, either.
>>
File: 1309461007487.jpg (671 KB, 970x1540) Image search: [Google]
1309461007487.jpg
671 KB, 970x1540
>>502418
>Also, a big breasted woman probably couldn't wear a standard breastplate, but wear a modified cuirass, I'd assume.
A cuirass is rarely completely skin-tight but there is often space in-between, since underneath padded clothing was worn. It would take exceedingly large breasts to actually be bothersome when wearing armour. If you want armour to have a somewhat feminine shape, and I'd argue that the Gothic ideal with the often rather defined hips already was quite androgynous, you could go with something akin to Kastenbrust armour which came before Gothic armour to add some space to the chest area, like they did in Walkure Romanze.
>>
>>504012
Pic for reference.
>>
File: Gothic_armour.jpg (212 KB, 670x1050) Image search: [Google]
Gothic_armour.jpg
212 KB, 670x1050
>>504017
Another pic of already quite androgynous Gothic armour.
>>
>>502418
Most of the army didn't use armour
>>
>>504022
During the high and late middle ages, most of the army would have used armour. Perhaps not the finest plate affordable, but everyone would at least been wearing a helmet, a padded jack, gambeson, etc.
>>
>>504020
Those feet though
>>
>>504022
Stop letting hollywood educate you
>>
File: Gothic_armour_01.jpg (163 KB, 600x1524) Image search: [Google]
Gothic_armour_01.jpg
163 KB, 600x1524
>>504156
Armour always mimicked the fashion of the day and craftsmen put great effort into shaping "clothes" out of steel. Armour was usually also quite modular, and the oddest looking pieces were often not meant for combat and either were completely separate suits of armour made for processions as costumes or for artistic reasons or they were pieces of otherwise functional suits that could be removed and replaced with something more practical for actual warfare.
>>
File: ARMAHNEEDED.png (31 KB, 367x258) Image search: [Google]
ARMAHNEEDED.png
31 KB, 367x258
Another reason I ask?

This big-titted lass needs armour. How is a breastplate going to fit on her without being a boobplate?
>>
>>504438

Seriously wide/deep cuirass and a hell of a lot of back support.
>>
>>504438
She'd need an armourd carriage first for those scooby snacks
>>
>>504017
Is Celia's armor historically accurate? Would it work in combat?
>>
File: 1446860991172.webm (2 MB, 794x472) Image search: [Google]
1446860991172.webm
2 MB, 794x472
>>502605
>You're shopping with your girlfriend when this guy slaps her ass"

What do you do?
>>
>>504020
>>
>>504502

Remind him he's married and to get back to writing the next book.
>>
File: images_AH4131_1_l.jpg (274 KB, 1356x1006) Image search: [Google]
images_AH4131_1_l.jpg
274 KB, 1356x1006
>>504502
i slap his ass with this
>>
>>504501
>Completely exposed arteries in the thighs
>>
>>504502

I calmly unholster my CCW Desert Eagle loaded with Depleted Uranium slugs and place two in the upper torso
>>
>>504501
yeah it would work great untill someone chopped her legs off
>>
File: PICT0300.jpg (51 KB, 342x613) Image search: [Google]
PICT0300.jpg
51 KB, 342x613
>>504521
Putting an awful lot of faith in his moral compass mate.

>>504527
Good call.

>>504532
To late lad, you're already eating four feet of sharpened steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_KJ1R2PCMM
>>
>>504530
Yeah, the cuisses and fauld should be longer. She also needs tassets.
>>
>women in armor
Kill yourself sjw tumblr retard
>>
>>504542

That video looks like its from the early 90's, today the cop would have shot the guy if he even took a step forward or moved his hand near himself
>>
File: jeannedarc_sacreingres.jpg (213 KB, 790x1100) Image search: [Google]
jeannedarc_sacreingres.jpg
213 KB, 790x1100
>>504545
Calm down /pol/.
>>
>>504542
imma start bring knifes to all my gun figths

>>504561
the cop would have shoot him from the car so he could get to MickyD's faster
>>
>>502505

No groin or lower belly Protection? Ouch.
>>
>>504561
I hope the guy carrying >>504532 isn't like the average american cop then.
>>
>>502472
That is terrible armor, a solid blow to her sides, which is typically one of the weaker part of women, would just break her.Youd have to make the armor stronger, so therefor heavier...
And oh my god, so many things wrong with it.

I mean, works better than the stuff that has two bowls for breasts, but you should not have armor that compliments a coursett.
>>
File: 7.jpg (31 KB, 250x597) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
31 KB, 250x597
>>505390

>implying real cuirasses aren't effectively metal corsets to begin with

How do you mean a blow from the side? The > < shape between torso and hips? That's what most 15th century armours have.
>>
>>505415
Yeah, thats what I mean, looks like if you hit it, theyre done. But I was thinking about arms and shields.
Youd have to be a shitty soldier to let that get hit hard.
>>
File: 1271371323895.jpg (237 KB, 934x1024) Image search: [Google]
1271371323895.jpg
237 KB, 934x1024
>>505422

It seems odd (litterally the whole reason boobplates plates are idiotic is they draw a blow in, just like these) but that's what they did. Armour was fitted and more like an exoskeleton than a suit of clothes, so it matched the bodies contours.

Possibly positioned that way so the weight is distributed into the hips andnot all, carried by the shoulders. If you look most a few have a second plate called a plackart strapped over this section, giving the possibility of double thickness in this area.
>>
Guys, I want to buy Gothic or French themed armor, along with a sword and shield, for educational purposes. I live in Ontario. What would the price be, and who should I buy from?
>>
>>505512
Bump :(
>>
>>505512

Kult of AthAthena is okay for off the peg mass produced stuff. There may be an SCA armourer nearby who can make you stuff or you can send measurements to someone further afield
>>
>>505586
Thanks
>>
>>502432
Yes they did there are like 92 recorded french chavaliesses. Not to mention sheild maidens and samurai ko women have always fought just never is large numbers it would be a stasical impossibility for a woman to have never been on the battle field as a combatent man you just sound like an idiot when you asset otherwise.

To get around to OPs question the curasse would not need to be modified in plate there is plenty of buffer space inside but draw what you lik man
>>
>>505512
>for educational purposes
Who wants to bet this is /pol/ and he's going to attack a mosque on a self-styled Crusade to "reeducate" Muslims?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.