[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here credentialed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: pepe_graduated.jpg (166 KB, 493x709) Image search: [Google]
pepe_graduated.jpg
166 KB, 493x709
Who here /credentialed/? I'm a fourth year in International Affairs with a history minor among others. My focus is Middle East studies and American foreign policy to the MENA region. I'm able to carry on a conversation about history, but never speak authoritatively unless it relates to something I just read or listened to.

/his/ already feels like one of the most educated boards on the site. Lets keep that up. I got the idea from the "flair" you can get on /r/askhistorians and /r/askscience, just interested who studies what and how credentialed they are.
>>
>>50192
Degree in history and minor in philiphosy.
>>
Degree in History and Archaeology (second year)

Albeit planning to make the move into Graduate Medicine, as I've realized that may be my call in life.
>>
>>50192
Do you support Assad? What do you think of Ba'athism?
>>
>>50348
I don't think anyone supports Assad.
>>
File: 1383532434765.png (8 KB, 400x367) Image search: [Google]
1383532434765.png
8 KB, 400x367
Working on my Double Major in History and Political Science.

Super excited. I love school.
>>
BA in Social Science. I claim expertise in all its subdomains and no one can stop me.
>>
>>50364
Lesser of two evils, enemy of my enemy, etc.
>>
File: le_question_faec.gif (393 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
le_question_faec.gif
393 KB, 500x273
>>50192
I'm deliberating whether to major in I.A. or Economics.

I'm just wondering what one /does/ with an I.A. degree, and what such a program can teach you that couldn't be learned independently or by playing Victoria 2.
>>
>>50364
He wouldn't still be in power if he isn't supported by his people
>>
>>50192
whats your stance on Syria currently?
What do you think are the chances of the Kurds achieving their objectives in establishing an independent nation-state?
>>
>>50348
>>50364
Weird that you asked, but I do, sort of.

Assad is a horrible dictator who does *not* constitute a threat to his population during peacetime. Contrast this with dictators who pursue a genocidal agenda, or who allow human rights atrocities to occur in service of heavy-handed peacemaking, like Saddam Hussein. Contrast it with irrational leaders like Ghaddafi.

At this point, 250,000 people or more are dead, and Assad did not personally point at each one of their mugshots and say "okay, this one next, the five year old with the teddy bear, let's Schindler's List this bitch." That's been the act of the Syrian forces, and the aftermath of WW2 proved that you can't prosecute an army, just its leadership, but will that really be justice?

At this point, and I think this is critically important, the Syrian conflict will not end or even draw down significantly if a stray missile hit Assad's compound and decapitated the regime. Another leader would come in and would be just as back-to-the-wall with nowhere to run and nowhere to run for the Alawites and other non-Sunnis that are going to be first on the funeral pyre if the FSA and auxiliary AQIL roll over the southwest of the country.

I think Russia will pacify the region in the way Alexander the Great did, and it may kill even more people, but it will not kill entire sects nor intentionally destroy art and artifacts and historical archives. Somehow Putin, a man who said "Minorities need Russia; Russia does not need minorities", is now the champion of the most persecuted groups of people in the Middle East. If we agree with liberalism's precepts we have to take this unlikely alliance.
>>
>>50480
Both kurds and turks are only one letter from turds
>>
>>50573
crap forgot my flair
>>
>>50414
Double major!
>>
>>50573
How was Gaddafi irrational? He was a bit naive and so is Assad
>>
>>50573
>the Syrian conflict will not end or even draw down significantly if a stray missile hit Assad's compound and decapitated the regime
yeah, I get the idea that its the SAA itself, not Assad, who really hold the regime together now.
>>
>>50593
Didn't quite answer my question m8erino.

Where are you studying, by the way?
>>
>>50364
You're on the wrong side
>>
Paralegal degree. That's humanities, right?
>>
>>50691
Pan Am Flight 103, tho. Did he not admit to crashing that plane with no survivors?
>>
>>50873
I would think Law is closer to social sciences instead of Humanities? But then you can claim that our conception of law stems from philosophy, so technically it is a subject that deals with human nature.
>>
>>50573
my issue with recent civil wars in the middle east is that america and the UN take a wait and see approach. except for american air strikes, this basically translates to lets wait for the regime to toppled so a militant islamic group can take control and ruin the country for the end of time. there is a reason nobody mentions libya anymore, because it was a failure. except america is taking the same approach with syria, ie destroy the government to allow the radical elements to take over.

except for egypt, which was only successful in its revolution due to a unified, competent and secular military, islamic countries require authoritarian governments to suppress radical elements. by assisting assad, we can prevent the genocide of the alawites and end the conflict sooner to prevent further death. if america had sided with the syrian government initially they could have had significant bargaining chips to influence the future development of syria in a more positive direction.
>>
>>50873
The sticky mentions law so yes. After all, the history of law is the history of civilization.
>>
>>50192
I feel like this is subtle bait

>Pepe
>Who here is qualified
>I got the idea from reddit
>>
>>50900
>In 2003, Gaddafi accepted responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing and paid compensation to the families of the victims, although he maintained that he had never given the order for the attack.

I know people who worked in Libya before. It was good country and Gaddafi wasn't even real dictator.
>>
>>50691
Ghaddafi was irrational in a crazy wizard way. He was famous for throwing books at the heads of other heads of state in the Arab League and telling them "Read this, you'll learn something." Look up Weber's definition of "sultanism" from before the Great War.

>>50710
The problem is if Assad leaves or not the West will want a sweeping regime change. That's bad news bears because the Levant needs to be either proportional democracy like Israel or confessional like Lebanon. Murica is going to slap a Murican paintjob of democracy on there and call it progress, and it's straight up not going to work.

>>50776
If you have to pick one pick Econ. I did the opposite and in some ways I would have preferred to double.
I study at Northeastern University, which is a great choice for IAF and has made my decision to study IAF a feasible one.

>>50928
I agree with everything you said. Are you American? The reasons behind Obama's decision to adopt a wait-and-see policy are very domestic in nature, and are best understood by Americans.

>>50989
nope
>>
I am doing A2 history at the moment, but I am kinda caught between computer science and history as a degree (if I choose comp sci, I will go back to uni and do history)
>>
>>51166
im not american. i understand that domestically there is very little support for further boots on the ground in the middle east and congress woldnt support him anyway even if he wanted to i imagine. however, the UN is also at fault for the lack of support for military action in the area with their constant rhetoric about not escalating the conflict and seeking diplomatic solutions; disregarding the fact that the syrian conflict has been an all out war since 2011 as well as being the highest intensity conflict on the planet since that time. if the UN took action then the international community could share the political and financial burden of large scale military campaigns. maybe i am simplifying the problem but my motivation for increasing intervention in syria is mainly humanitarian. less lives will be lost if the conflict is ended sooner rather than later.
>>
>>51387
UN is the emperor with no clothes. It's not a uniformed army, it's an army of uniforms that other countries can put on and "become" the UN. Peacekeeping forces are almost never hired except as military forces from an existing sovereign nation.

Who's going to send their forces into Syria, with the UN uniforms on or not? America? We just got out of there. Russia? They don't need UNiforms. China? Fuck no, they're busy gearing up to inherit the earth.

Some smaller country that risks actually losing, and losing a large number of their military forces? Why bother?
>>
>>50192

Degree in History here.

Speaking authoritatively about history is meme-tier (unless your counterpart is some Pepe speaking retardations out of pop general culture and movies) so you doing good lad.
>>
>>51537
UN peacekeepers are obviously useless and have been proven to be so due to their retarded operating procedures of almost never being allowed to use lethal force.

i see your point about why it hasnt happened. except the end result is that the most imperialist nations such as america and russia are the only choices. i support russia's intervention and hopefully they will end the conflict sooner and weaken the hold IS and al nusra have in syria. at least american is openly putting special forces on the ground now in syria.
>>
>>51808
It's cards on the table, can't turn out worse than it already is.
>>
>>50192

Polisci with emphasis on IR here.

1 year left until I graduate. Then... IDK, maybe military as an officer.
>>
>>52006
i hope you are conservative otherwise the military is going to suck for you.
>>
>>50192
Undergraduate Law degree.

Get on my level.
>>
>>52739
People who study law in their undergrad do the worst on the LSAT and actual law school if they get in. Pre-law students are a joke to students who are actually interested in being lawyers.

Math and/or philosophy are the best majors to prepare you for law school.
>>
>>50873
How on earth does one study a paralegal degree? That's a professional certificate, surely.

As for the question, it's not exactly humanities because it's professional in nature, not academic.
>>
>>52840
I don't study "Law" at undergraduate in the US, mainly because no such course exists and I don't live in the US.
>>
>>51267
If you're an average student likely to attend an average university, it will benefit you so much more if you study CompSci. However, if you're likely to be studying at a decent university, then consider history. The job market will look at you favourably.
>>
History graduate reporting in.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 811x536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 811x536
>>50414
>IA *and* economics

Warning: economics may make you lay awake at night crying because politicians just don't understand
>>
>>52882
There's a 2-year certificate and 4 years for a bachelor's degree. I was dumb enough to go for the latter.
>>
I'm about to start my International Relations major/European Studies minor and I can't wait.
>>
studied ancient civilizations with emphasis in mythologyfolklore + philosophy with emphasis on logic. though i don't do anything with it professionally these days, i still actively study and capitalize on research opportunities in my leisure.
>>
>studiesfags

What do you plan to do with your degrees? Put them up in the wall of your state owned house?
>>
>>53447
I suppose it'll make you more employable. Are there placements/paralegal internships sourced by the university, or just the academia?

What types of topics do you cover?
>>
>>53627
Pay you to put them up on our walls, you proletariat scum.
>>
>>51888
Alright what will happen in five years if assad and Isis is allowed to exist containerized
>>
Give me your synopsis on the Lebanese Civil war. Who you believed was in the right, and who do you believe wasn't?. Do you believe that Arafat's PLO was a terrorist group that aimed to destabilize Lebanon, or do you believe they were justified in there war against the ethnic, pro western, anti pan arab, and Maronite Christian majority Lebanese. Do you believe that the ideals and theory of Pan arab beliefs is rational, and justifiable.
>>
>>53807
Who do you*
>>
>Degree in History

I'll take a latte, thanks.
>>
>>53873
>just taking a history degree because you think it's easier than STEM without thinking what you'll do with it
These wastrels will be working in Starbucks no matter what's printed on their piece of toilet paper.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.