[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can the Latin Church call itself the true Church when she
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: 1402034996761.png (98 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
1402034996761.png
98 KB, 600x500
How can the Latin Church call itself the true Church when she banned administering the Blood of Christ the laypeople in the Council of Constance, one regarded by Rome as Ecumenical, and then backpeddled?

Priests who administered the Blood of Christ were prescribed excommunication, in fact, by the Council of Constance

>This holy synod also decrees and declares, regarding this matter, that instructions are to be sent to the most reverend fathers and lords in Christ, patriarchs, primates, archbishops, bishops, and their vicars in spirituals, wherever they may be, in which they are to be commissioned and ordered on the authority of this sacred council and under pain of excommunication, to punish effectively those who err against this decree. They may receive back into the church's fold those who have gone astray by communicating the people under the forms of both bread and wine, and have taught this, provided they repent and after a salutary penance, in accordance with the measure of their fault, has been enjoined upon them. They are to repress as heretics, however, by means of the church's censures and even if necessary by calling in the help of the secular arm, those of them whose hearts have become hardened and who are unwilling to return to penance.

So which is it? Was the Council simply wrong? Or was is actually a heresy back then, but no longer a heresy?
>>
File: 1450526351426.jpg (219 KB, 1273x1024) Image search: [Google]
1450526351426.jpg
219 KB, 1273x1024
>organized religion
>>
>>501633
Me on the left
>>
File: 1451811295283.jpg (27 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1451811295283.jpg
27 KB, 600x600
>>501633
>God is disorganized
>>
File: 1429031582031.jpg (29 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1429031582031.jpg
29 KB, 447x444
>spelling "pedal" as "peddle"
>>
>>501675
Put the peddle to the meddle
>>
>>501675
>tfw committing subvocalized thoughts to writing without taking the time to correct
>>
>>501690
Metal of Honor.
>>
>every council proclaims dogma

it was a disciplinary measure for those days, m8
>>
>>501706
In that case, it wouldn't be heretical.
>>
>>501713
what was heretical was the idea of certain priests who administered both species acting on the idea. The act of giving both species isnt heretical
>>
>>501719
No, the act of administering both species was heretical in itself. I suggest you re-read the OP. The Paragraph quoted is titled: "That no priest, under pain of excommunication, may communicate the people under the forms of both bread and wine"
>>
>>501629
>Priests who administered the Blood of Christ were prescribed excommunication, in fact, by the Council of Constance
Disobeying a Bishop warrants excommunication
not administrating the Blood

And the First Bishop among equals said no more wine

why they changed it I can't say
people just liked it better that way
>>
>>501770
So administering the Blood was heretical then, but it's not any more?
>>
>>501774
>Disobeying a Bishop warrants excommunication
>not administrating the Blood
>>
>>501782
>it's heresy to disobey a bishop
Uh, how so?
>>
>>501629
As a political organisation striving for power, they can say and do whatever they want as long as they have the resources (in every sense of the word) to afford it. This should answer all of your questions about any major historical church you have concerns about.
>>
>>501928
what the actual fuck does any of that have to do with anything OP posted about?
>>
>>501936
Nice.
>>
File: 1433848104722.jpg (28 KB, 358x350) Image search: [Google]
1433848104722.jpg
28 KB, 358x350
>>501673
>the church is God
>>
>>502222
>Christ isn't God
>the Church is no Christ's Body
Even your beautiful quads cannot redeem this level of heresy.
>>
>>502254
>Catholocism: Not even once
>>
File: 1431536501570.jpg (42 KB, 541x498) Image search: [Google]
1431536501570.jpg
42 KB, 541x498
>>502254
>Church is the body of Christ
>Chuch is also the bride of Christ
>Christ married his own body
>mfw
>>
>>502275
It says it right in the NT
>>
File: rekt.jpg (49 KB, 404x330) Image search: [Google]
rekt.jpg
49 KB, 404x330
>>502254
>it's not between me and God
>it's beetween a bunch of people with money and power, and God
>>
>>502543
>I should be able to take the Word of God to mean whatever I want
>>
File: this is not a game.png (170 KB, 250x366) Image search: [Google]
this is not a game.png
170 KB, 250x366
>>502562
>implying the Bible is that open to interpretation
Jesus said "don't be an asshole", hence don't be an asshole
Wow!

>I am but a lowly man myself, I cannot trust myself to interpret the Word of God, I should let these nicely dressed people do it for me, they can't have an agenda at all
>>
>>502582
>the meaning of "asshole" doesn't change over the course of 2000
If you oppose female clergy, think women should dress modestly, think same-sex relationships are morally wrong, and think we should respect authority, guess what? You're an asshole by today's standards.
>>
>>502589
The Church's credibility entirely resides on the stuff Paul said. You know, the guy who gave advice, orders and personal opinions to pagan converts, 2,000 years ago. Who was not Jesus.
>>
>>502603
Let me add, I'm not saying that papal infallibility isn't a debated question. But Jesus made it pretty clear that it is between you and God before anything else, and if the Church takes priority over the gospels I'm fucking done.
>>
>>502603
You know, the oldest Christian source by far.

>>502630
The Church is Christ's Body
>>
>>502638
Oldest but not messianic.

>>502638
The Church is Christ's Body... according to Paul. Because they all rejoiced under Jesus with the Holy Spirit's influence. It doesn't relate to the rules, actions and agendas of the Church itself.
>>
>>502655
Do you think the Gospels are an exhaustive record of everything Christ taught?
>>
>>502691
No, but most of their content is shared so it gives us a solid idea.
Paul's teachings are also in line with them, but he was only a person, what he was giving was strong advice rather than legal authority (and had the purpose of separating the communities he was talking to from pagan tradition and immorality), and he even admits a couple times of giving his own opinion. Whether it is enough to make an institutional, organized Church is a different question, but I really don't think it's fair to make a claim linking the modern Church to the Christ himself from Paul's texts.
The Church was the body of Christ because everyone, under the Holy Spirit's influence, came togerher to effectively live under the Christ's rule and act together as he would. But then the Church ended up possessing political power, helping toward spreading Christianity without a doubt, but effectively going against Jesus' teachings and lifestyle.
Nowadays the Church doesn't have political power anymore but it does have its own agendas. It is too human to effectively consider it the body of Christ in my opinion, and again, Jesus himself made it clear that, before anything, faith is a relationship between the individual and God.
>>
>>502729
Right, Paul explicitly says when he gives his own opinion. Most of the time he is performing his job as bishop (an extremely respected one) in telling various parishes how to keep orthodox.

The Church is Christ's Body because the whole thing is about communing with Christ, c'mon, m8.
>>
>>502739
It doesn't mean that it hasn't, and doesn't, make many human mistakes. Which is the main reason people don't want to be associated with it. In effect, it keeps a doctrine that says we must do things Jesus didn't say, it does stupid shit as soon as it gets political power, and it creates peer pressure that shouldn't be there.
>>
File: 1437732327757.jpg (55 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1437732327757.jpg
55 KB, 640x640
>>502750
>I know what Jesus said better than the Church because I have here a record for less than 1% of the things he said in his life that was written by the Church and has its seal of authenticity, in contrast with the dozens of other Gospels, by Church approval
>>
>>501629

Because the Catholic Church is the one true church founded by St Peter the rock of Jesus and the Pope is the Lord's infallible emissary on Earth.

The "orthodox church" is for heretics and losers and all of its followers deserve to burn for heresy.

That's all you need to know heretic scum.
>>
>>502762
Poor false flag, tbqh
>>
>>502767

I know. I have been drinking.
>>
>>502758
The Church bases itself off more than just the 4 canonical gospels? Didn't know
What are the other ones?
>>
>>502807

The Gospel of James and the Gospel of Mary.
>>
>>502807
They aren't written down because the point of the Gospels in the Bible isn't to convey most of Christ's teachings, even though they tend to convey good stuff he said. The point of the Gospels is to tell the story of the Mystical Supper, Christ's Death, and His Resurrection, particularly for retelling in Liturgy. The Gospel of St. James, for instance, did not make the cut largely because it didn't include this, even though the Gospel of St. James is mostly held to be authoritative.

Christ's teachings weren't even to people who could write, for the most part. The job of the Apostles was to preserve his teachings,and they passed that job onto other bishops through appointment. That is why, even though the Orthodox and Coptic Churches have been separated for 1,600 years over a misunderstanding (we would both be in the right if the other side actually held the opinion we thought they were espousing), they now get together and see that, other than they, are still completely on the same page. Christ's teachings have been that well preserved.

Christianity isn't a hobby, it is an all-consuming worldview and RELIGION with sacraments and so on, and you can't half-ass it.
>>
If Orthodox Church is the true church why has all scientific advance taken place in Catholic countries?
>>
>>502834
Thanks

>>502861
>Christianity isn't a hobby
This is my problem. I believe in Jesus as the son of God and I do my hardest to follow the teachings found in the Bible but I have a hard time approaching any of the three churches because they all have their own doctrines that aren't found in the Bible (or require a very specific interpretation).
>>
>>502925
>This is my problem. I believe in Jesus as the son of God and I do my hardest to follow the teachings found in the Bible but I have a hard time approaching any of the three churches because they all have their own doctrines that aren't found in the Bible (or require a very specific interpretation).

This is why you should do absolutely everything the bible says and ignore institutionalized Christianity.
>>
>>502940
Is this sarcasm?
>>
>>502942

No. Why would it be?
>>
>>502958
Because that view is at the complete opposite of the anon's I was arguing with.
>>
>>502940
The Bible tells us Christianity should be institutionalized and organized, you fucking retard.
>>
>>502979
Where?
>>
>"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations"
>hold sermons exclusively in latin, a language most people can't understand
lol who came up with that bullshit? Luther was right!
>>
>>503337

Jesus said don't go the goys at all only preach to the Jews, but hey that isn't in line with speaking Latin either.
>>
>>501822
it isnt, there is nothing that implies heresy in the OP
>>
>>502903
The head of USSR space program was Orthodox. The first man in space was Orthodox (despite the falsely attributed quote about God not being in space).

Who are the Catholic equivalents to these guys?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.