[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the greatest invention of all time and why is it the Internet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: Internet-IPv6.jpg (479 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Internet-IPv6.jpg
479 KB, 1000x750
What is the greatest invention of all time and why is it the Internet?
>>
The wheel
>>
>>49685
>>49701
Language and then written language
>>
Paper, followed by the pen.
>>
internet sucks
>>
AI
>>
I'd say it's a toss up between Democracy, The Scientific Method or Capitalism.
>>
Anything that facilitates communication.
>>
Memes

by Richard Dawkins
>>
>>49750

nice meme answers!

I bet you think the Greeks invented democracy too!
>>
File: plain doge.jpg (65 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
plain doge.jpg
65 KB, 700x525
>>49794
Here's your reply.
>>
>>49794
which civilization is responsible for democracy?
>>
File: ACHTARMIGEN SWASTIKA.gif (10 KB, 333x333) Image search: [Google]
ACHTARMIGEN SWASTIKA.gif
10 KB, 333x333
THE GREATEST HUMAN INVENTION IS AGRICULTURE.
>>
>>49794
Let me guess you think communism was the best invention of all time
>>
Electric mandolin.

>>49861
Fuck off rei you nonce.
>>
>>49832

Democracy exists in the most basic hunting and gathering societies. It has always been around.
>>
>>49685
How is the internet an invention?
>>
sliced bread followed by canned bread
>>
Alcohol is pretty high up on the list.
>>
>>49928
Al Gore built it in his garage.
>>
>>49902
thank you for the serious answer.
>>
File: 1349363070390.jpg (535 KB, 805x1094) Image search: [Google]
1349363070390.jpg
535 KB, 805x1094
Dogs desu
>>
>>49685
How about libraries? Weren't these essentially the original intranets
>>
>>49750
Democracy is and was terrible and will lead to the death of humanity
>>
>>50061
It's true, the unenlightened masses cannot make the judgement calls.
>>
>>50087
>Hindo-Catolonian
Eh?
>>
>being able to communicate internationally, instantaneously
>vast stores of knowledge, in some cases replicated globally to prevent loss
>accessible by nearly every person

Internet Protocol is easily the greatest invention ever known to mankind. We haven't even truly adapted to it yet either.

Electricity is also up there.
>>
>>50347
>>being able to communicate internationally, instantaneously
Hi faggot
>>
>>50347
This desu senpai
>>
>>50203
Don't worry. He just learned about it in school today, and is excited.
>>
The onahole
Only people who never used on would disagree.
>>
The first water container

It showed our ability to understand scarcity and planning and allowed for us to increase our geographical range and thus knowledge

Internet is just behind that
>>
>>49685
agriculture blows everything else out of the water.
>>
Are we talking about things actually invented by a singular person or group? Because most of the answers here were developed over years or centuries.
>>
The printing press
>>
>>50683

Agriculture wasn't an invention, it was a discovery.
>>
Flight.
>>
>>49832

Greeks, kinda. The idea of the republic is far more important than the idea of democracy.

For that, you can trace it to renaissance and enlightenment thinkers.

Obviously democracy is a failure, just as much as most other forms of gov't. Republicanism is the way to go.
>>
>>52013

TO DISCOVER SOMETHING IS TO BRING SOMETHING THAT IS IN A LATENT CONDITION TO ACTUALITY, TO INVENT SOMETHING IS TO CREATE SOMETHING DIFFERENT FROM SOMETHING ALREADY ACTUAL.

AGRICULTURE IS AN INVENTION, NOT A DISCOVERY; A METHOD; A TECHNIQUE; THERE WAS NO AGRICULTURE IN A LATENT CONDITION WAITING TO BE DISCOVERED AND IMPLEMENTED.
>>
>>49685
>CTRL+F
>no weed
wtf
>>
>>49685
The best and amazing part of the Internet is that it's full capacity and capability is not yet achieved
>>
>>53124
>零

HELLO OLD FRIEND
>>
>>55942

WHO ARE YOU?
>>
>>49685
Top ten because they are all so fucking great and their impact was so widespread

>the written word (should be obvi)
>wheel (transport becomes a breeze)
>the plow (farming is actually useful now)
>domestication (animals are no longer enemies, they can be tools)
>the ship (transportation and exploration)
>smelting process (funny little rocks become tools)
>astronomy (you can now make heads and tails of the cyclic nature of the planet)
>printing press (knowledge is now available to nearly everyone)
>the saddle (makes the horse a weapon of war and personal transportation)
>the firearm (allowed for the democratization of the world)
>>
>>50472
Yes, even your post is amazing when you think about it desu
>>
How long before /his/ has 3x3 threads?
>>
>>49750

democracy is great until people that disagree with you are allowed to vote

then it's the fucking WORST
>>
>>56533
I agree with all but the saddle. It was of course a nice invention but no where near top 10 of all time. You trying to tell me saddles are more important than aqueducts or electricity?
>>
>>58149
>electricity is an invention

just wow...
>>
>>58216
obviously meant the utilization of electricity into every day use you fucking nitpicking mongoloid
>>
>>58149
Aqueducts and electricity yes.

simply because it is such a necessary invention for human beings to have anything resembling a modern state.

We as human beings have existed and done quite well without harnessing electricity past the novel hobbyist stage of the 1700s.

Aqueducts? probably could argue for that, but in terms of human impact?

Those who could ride horses when others could not (Indo-European barbarians in Ganges river valley, the Conquistadors, the colonial powers in Sub-Saharan Africa) or just simply do it better than their victims (Mongols, Huns, Sioux, Parthians etc) have survived better, and impacted world development in ways that boggle the mind.
>>
>>60126
my point was people can and did ride horses without saddles. saddles were more of a luxury when compared to say, the radio or the ability to move water over large tracts of land reliably.
>>
>>49685
Internet
The smartest and dumbest thing ever invented
>>
the most important invention since 1900 would have to be the transistor.
>>
>>49685
The Human Brain.
>>
>>65333
That wasn't really an invention.
>>
File: image.jpg (305 KB, 1349x797) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305 KB, 1349x797
The best, most influential invention was the spinning jenny. When aliens visit us, we should present one to display our technological prowess.
>>
>>49685

The internet stripped down is just a bunch of inconsequential people with too much time discussing inane stuff and circulating the stupidity. It is the key difference between the future people of the 80s and early 90s envisioned and what actually happened.

If you have a good filter, it may be be used as a research tool, but a relatively shitty one compared to a library at any university worth a shit.
>>
>>50061
So how do you want to be ruled?
>>
>>49685
that's not the baka desu senpai filter
>>
There are no good inventions
The worst human invention is agriculture
>>
Abstract thought
>>
Fleshlight
>>
>>50156
>>
>>67925

This fucking guy.
>>
The agricultural revolution and writing for me. They changed the game senpai desu.
>>
Anime desu
>>
>>49685
I believe it's Philosophy. That way humanity can find for excuses to live
>>
>>57975
Underrated post.
>>
I would say that the best invention was the one that kept us around for hundreds of thousands of years before civilization

I would have said basic tools but it has been said we used rock hammers out of instinct like birds make nests.

So probably fire
>>
The internet is what caused retarded movements like 3rd wave feminism and furries to become as big as they are now so I don't think it was a good invention at all
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.