[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Assuming the Ostrogothic Kingdom survived into the Middle Ages.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Ostrogothic_Kingdom.png (35 KB, 536x284) Image search: [Google]
Ostrogothic_Kingdom.png
35 KB, 536x284
Assuming the Ostrogothic Kingdom survived into the Middle Ages. Would it be very different from "canon" Italy (With genoa, venice etc) ?
>>
>>489506

There would not be Lombardic Italy to begin with.

And you should take in account that would not only change Italy, but the whole Europe, do they keep a strong state?
Then they wouldnt be the easy prey for the Franks liek the Lombards were.
Do they keep close relations with teh Visigoths?
A strong Gothic Alliance could have emerged.
>>
Probably not because the rise of things like the Papal States led to the fragmentation of Italy and with the rise of Papal States people were like fuck this shit I'm out.
>>
>>489506
Roman Empire 2.0
>>
>>489506
You're changing too many variables and you're not even telling us what variables do you changed to make the Ostrogothic Kingdom survive.
>>
>>489526
I doubt there would be Papal States or anything that resembles it with an ostrogothic king still ruling. The Pope would have power in the city of Rome at best.
>>
>>489558
I think OP meant something like Justinian doesn't become emperor
>>
>>489506
in all timelines i end up cucking you, so no
>>
>>489601
Easy then. Another emperor sooner or later destroys the Ostrogothic Kingdom because they're barbaric heretics that hold the eternal city and can't stop fighting each other after Theodoric's death.

Justinian is the less important factor, I'll say that his generals are more important here. And anyways what's important is that the Ostrogothic kingdom was a complete failure that only survived thanks to having one of the most brilliant germanic rulers on history.
>>
>>489652
>And anyways what's important is that the Ostrogothic kingdom was a complete failure

Because?
>>
>>489729
Like it's western counterpart, in-fighting. Under most of the reign of Theodoric it was probably the greatest power in western Europe. The thing is, Theodoric was the one to start it all and he was clearly unable to build an stable enough empire that could survive his death. The roman-germanic dichotomy, well managed by Theodoric, was not resolved and it's one of the causes of the in-fighting. It was also one of the causes of Justinian's intervention, since the pro-roman faction leaded by the Queen directly asked him to help.
>>
>>489538
Would be just as Roman as the Holy Roman Empire.
>>
>>489506
what do you mean?
Genoa,venice e.t.c were ostrogoths
>>
>>490193
I think Genoa was Lombard, Venice.. I don't honestly know
>>
>>490145
So, it would be the Roman Empire of the West? While the Greek Empire is the Roman Empire of the East?
>>
>>490287
Yeah but Greeks had tenure with the Roman Empire, so it made much more sense with them than it did with the bar bars in the West.
>>
>>490308
Well, the Holy Roman Empire had Italy and the Bishop of Rome. At least when they were not fighting each other.
>>
>>490312
Personally I feel like immediate successor states have more leverage than location-based ones. Sure the West has the Pope, but the ERE has an actual Roman emperor and not a Germanic usurper.
If their politics were more like China where anyone who conquers is rightfully acknowledged, it would be a different story.
>>
>>490274
Venice is a mix of various refugees from the invasions that racked Italy after Rome fell.
The settlers of the Lagoon are a mix of lagoon natives and refugees from Aquileia and other major Northeast Italian urban centers. The Venetian lagoon was permanently settled by former Roman urbanites after Attila's invasion. I'm not sure if Venice could necessarily be called Ostrogothic, but they probably ended up accepting a bunch of refugees after the kingdom fell
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.