[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scenario: Napoleon, following the defeat at Waterloo, escapes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: napoleon.jpg (124 KB, 1078x728) Image search: [Google]
napoleon.jpg
124 KB, 1078x728
Scenario: Napoleon, following the defeat at Waterloo, escapes across the Atlantic to the United States.

What happens?
>>
>>488193
He's arrested and given to the British
>>
>Be Napoleon
>Survive a hundred horrific battles
>Escape to America
>Get shot
>>
He would probably just live in a fancy house in New Orleans and then nothing would happen and he would be remembered the exact same way he is now
UK relations with US probably would not be affected, especially since the people in Britain were actually pretty sympathetic to Napoleon when he was captured and wanted him to live free
>>
The US could appoint him a general and go to war with Britain again for control of Canada.
>>
>>488240
>Canada could've been American and not DUDE WEED the country
>>
>>488240
Can you imagine?

I need a hack SF writer to knock this out in a week so I can buy it on paperback. 10/10 would read.
>>
I wouldn't be surprised if the Americans would hang onto him just to stick it to the British, but I think he'd basically be put into retirement anyway.
>>
>>488289
I can see it now:

Napoleon arrives in America in 1815 pleading James Madison to grant him asylum. Madison agrees on the condition that Napoleon becomes a general in the United States Army. In return for conquering Canada from the British, the Americans grant Napoleon sovereignty over Lower Canada, which now becomes the Republic of Quebec, while Upper Canada and Rupert's Land become an American state and territory respectively.
>>
File: United States of North America.gif (37 KB, 830x720) Image search: [Google]
United States of North America.gif
37 KB, 830x720
>>488306
>Napoleon arrives in America in 1815

The U.S. and Britain were at peace by then, (as of Feb 1815, Waterloo wouldn't happen until June 1815 and Nappy wouldn't try to bug-out of France until July 15th) so you need a point of departure that keeps the War of 1812 going, for Madison to continue the war.

But I'll agree that the map just looks wrong with a separate Canada up there like that.
>>
>>488193
Nothing, he'll just be a celebrity.

He'll tour the country being invited into dinners and parties.
>>
>>488193
Would probably can some residence somewhere in the south, maybe New Orleans, and live life devoid of political activity outside of a few parades here and there. Same as most post-Revolution emigres and White Russians in the US.
>>
>>488289
The Civil War happening 30 years sooner would be the main outcome
>>
>>488816
And the South would have won.
>>
>>488202
Top fucking kek
>>
>>488193
>What happens?
He moves onward to SA because like hell the americans are gonna restart the war for him, whereas there's plenty of revolutionary nutjobs ready to take up arms for independence in the spanish viceroyalties.
>>
>>488193
he falls off the face of the earth and is mocked back in europe for being a coward
>>
>>488240
>The US could appoint him a general and go to war with Britain again for control of Canada.
Yeahh it's not like the war of 1812 didn't almost split the country and strangle the trade, america would totally go for another war right afterwards for purely aggressive reasons against the most powerful country in the world still on war footing.
>>
File: Sans titre.jpg (141 KB, 497x652) Image search: [Google]
Sans titre.jpg
141 KB, 497x652
>>488193
Not much I guess
He'd probably find a quiet place to end his life
>>
>>488841
fuck you people are idiots
There is no scenario where the south wins.
Napoleon, Arthur Wellesley, Alexander the Great, Julius Ceasar, Marshal Villars, and fucking Hannibal could all have been southern generals and the North STILL would have won.
>>
>>489826
holy shit my DICK IS DIAMONDS
>>
>>491321
What if the south developed an atomic bomb?
>>
>>491419
harry turtledove please
>>
File: ---.jpg (43 KB, 302x350) Image search: [Google]
---.jpg
43 KB, 302x350
>>488193
There was a plan in 1817 to rescue him from St. Helena. It was devised by a group of defeated separatists in the Brazilian province of Pernambuco, through the emissary Cruz Cabugá, in contact with Joseph Bonaparte, exiled in the United States. Counted also by the informal cooperation of US officials, notably the consul in Recife, and many former French military based in the US.

The idea was an expedition with two warships and about 1600 men. One would attack Jamestown, attracting the island's defenses, weakening the guard over Napoleon. The other would rescue him.

It did not happen because some people leaked the plan to the wrong people before. In the end, the British were informed by the Brazilian authorities, and a good number of people, among Brazilian, French and American conspirators, were imprisoned.
>>
>>488404
Geometrical/artificial borders always look disgusting.
>>
>>489826
>>491398
>Lord Cochrane had ideas to rescue Napoleon and set him up as ruler of a unified South America.

Cochrane was B A S E D.
>>
>>493998
Please Please Please point me in the direction of something to read on this plot
>>
>>494189
Not same guy, but here you go:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-secret-plot-to-rescue-napoleon-by-submarine-1194764/?no-ist
>>
>>491419
>A atomic bomb.
Does it have the ability to deliver it? One bomb is useless. It'll need at least 80 to be a credible detterant
>>
>>488202
rofl
>>
Well he said he always wanted to make a scientific voyage through America, from the Northern to the Southern tip, and that's what he had planned for his exile.

But there were also these South Americans who tried to get him broken out of Saint Helena to make him emperor. So once he got to South America he would probably have been given an army and ended up conquering and building a Latin American empire, and we would have gotten Napoleon 2: Latin Fever.
>>
>>488193

>Napoleon comes to the US
>lands in New Orleans
>takes over
>establishes a French Louisiana country in America
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.