[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the average roman soldier equipped like this? Seems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 217x299) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 217x299
Was the average roman soldier equipped like this? Seems like full plate would be expensive for a foot soldier. Or is this just a Hollywood meme?
>>
Do you know what full plate is? I don't think you know what full plate is.
>>
It never supplanted Hamata and after a while they dropped it again.
>>
>>487146
The Roman state after Marian's reforms provided weapons and armor for every legionary, but I think chainmail was much more common than that.
>>
>>487146
1) That's not full plate
2) That's the average roman legionary. The Roman army is also soldiered by a huge number of auxiliaries.
3) Rome had better infrastructure than shitpile Feudal European kingdoms to whom fielding a professional fighter is already something that was fuck expensive.
>>
>>487146
The fighters were equipped with Segmentata but the average garrison unit or border patrol was equipped in Hamata.
>>
>>487146
>Was the average roman soldier
Define average.
That design would belong to Imperial period, Camillian and Polybian troops were completely different
>>
>Full plate

Kek

Anyway the average legionaire wore segmentata. The average any other kind of soldier wore a hamata (chain mail shirt)
>>
>>487169
>1) That's not full plate
Agreed
>2) That's the average roman legionary.
Segmentata was only used in larger numbers in colder regions like britannia or germania, not to mention it was only there for aroud 200 years
>3) Rome had better infrastructure than shitpile Feudal European kingdoms to whom fielding a professional fighter is already something that was fuck expensive.
>Kights aren't full-time profesional soliders
>>
>>487199
It took a whole village to support a single knight
>>
>>487205
I doubt it was otherwise in different times, also looting and tournaments are also a thing, you know
>>
>>487146
What he's wearing there is the Lorica Segmentata, it's actually pretty light and relatively cheap. Still it was used during the empire by mostly upper tier troops. During the time of Caesar they wore iron chain mail and mostly bronze helmets called gallias.
>>
File: fiaAsKe.jpg (522 KB, 1321x900) Image search: [Google]
fiaAsKe.jpg
522 KB, 1321x900
LATE EMPIRE
A
T
E

E
M
P
I
R
E
>>
>>487493
Looks Germanic as fuck
>>
>>487572
Meanwhile the Marian Romans looked Gallic as fuck and the Polybians looked Greek as fuck.
>>
>>487572
It likely was.
>>
File: 1446411395868.jpg (112 KB, 416x726) Image search: [Google]
1446411395868.jpg
112 KB, 416x726
>>487493
Based late romans
>>
>>487164
You mean segmenta? Hamata was pretty widespread.
>>
>>487164
>>492411
Nevermind, I misunderstood what you wrote.
>>
>>487146
Only briefly in the later 1st century AD and early 2nd centuries AD. Plus, most of the army was made up of chainmail wearing auxiliaries armed with spears.

The Romans had early factories which pumped these out in the Empire. Gradually vanished because it was too expensive for a standing army that mostly fought bumfuck barbarians.

>>487493
Ma nigga.
>>
File: really_nigga_roman.png (294 KB, 392x714) Image search: [Google]
really_nigga_roman.png
294 KB, 392x714
>>487146
lorica segmentata was used for a very short amount of time (50 years or so) by only a few legions due to problems with maintaining and crafting such equipment

roman legionnaires used lorica hamata mostly
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.