[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Philosophy is dead Why did he say this? does he realize
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
>Philosophy is dead

Why did he say this? does he realize that discussing the reason philosophy is dead is in itself philosophy?
>>
>>486834
Looking at him he's way more dead than philosophy
>>
>>486834
Because autism inhibits abstract thinking.
>>
>>486834
>Why did he say this?

BECAUSE FOR HIM PHILOSOPHY IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN "DEAD" SINCE HE IS COGNITIVELY INCAPABLE TO COMPREHEND IT.
>>
>>486834

Fite me irl you wheelchair bound faggot
>>
>>486908
>beating a guy that wears glasses
baka smdh desu senpai
>>
>>486902
>autism inhibits abstract thinking.

THAT IS A POPULAR MISCONCEPTION; THE OPPOSITE IS ACTUALLY TRUE: ABSTRACT THINKING BECAME A HUMAN MENTAL CAPACITY DUE TO AUTISM.

ALSO, THE INCAPACITY TO COMPREHEND PHILOSOPHY IS NOT DUE TO A LACK OF ABSTRACT THINKING ABILITY, OR CAPACITY, BUT RATHER, IT IS DUE TO BIOGENETIC, AND PSYCHONEUROLOGICAL, PRENATAL, AND POSTNATAL, FACTORS NOT DIRECTLY CORRELATED WITH AUTISM.
>>
>>486905
>>486920
WHY DO YOU YELL ALL THE TIME
>>
>>486834
I wonder if he actually believes the things he says, or just does it to appeal to the shiteating reddit fedora faggots. It only takes someone immensely ignorant of physics and what it aims to and can accomplish to say something like "physics has supplanted philosophy."

Physics provides models that are tested and reaffirmed through experiment. But many of those models are just constructs that fit observable phenomena and to assume that there's any reality to the entities that science posits to exist (as is frequently done in pop-science books/television) is a reification fallacy of the highest order. There's a reason the philosophy of physics is an actual area of study among philosophers of science. It's just naive simpletons who take what black science man and sam "the man" harris says as biblical truth and revert to literally dead positivist thinking. suck my fat duck
>>
>>486935
So electrons don't real?
I might be shooting to far by saying this, but do you believe your own bullshit?
>>
File: 1447835456004.png (373 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
1447835456004.png
373 KB, 1000x666
>>486890
kek
>>
>>486940
While there's nothing confusing about the mathematical formalism in regards to how it explains the behavior of electrons and other particles, saying we actually understand what is meant by "particle" and the associated baggage of interpreting quantum mechanics is shooting too far. It's the ontology, as always, that is the problem.
>>
File: NK6uRh.jpg (73 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
NK6uRh.jpg
73 KB, 1024x768
>>486834
Stephen Hawking, the renowned physicist, has declared that “Philosophy is dead”.

Speaking to Google’s Zeitgeist Conference in Hertfordshire, the author of 'A Brief History of Time' said that fundamental questions about the nature of the universe could not be resolved without hard data such as that currently being derived from the Large Hadron Collider and space research. “Most of us don't worry about these questions most of the time. But almost all of us must sometimes wonder: Why are we here? Where do we come from? Traditionally, these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead,” he said. “Philosophers have not kept up with modern developments in science. Particularly physics.”

Prof Hawking went on to claim that “Scientists have become the bearers of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge.” He said new theories “lead us to a new and very different picture of the universe and our place in it”.
>>
>>486957
1. isn't an electron a wave and
2. isn't a particle a small portion of matter?
>>
>>486966
>isn't an electron a wave
An electron is neither a particle nor a wave. What it actually "is" is subject to debate.

>isn't a particle a small portion of matter?
That depends on what theoretical framework you're using. For example, quantum field theory suggest that particles are simply localized excitations of a field. But determining what a "field" actually is and whether it actually exists in nature is a matter of philosophical interpretation.
>>
>>486966
You don't seem very bright.
>>
>>486981
well, I'm not sure what do you mean about philosophical intepretation. Wouldn't a field simply be a section of space is being affected by something (ie a magnetic field has magnetic forces acting in it)?
>>
he's speaking of it's popularity.

it's true. and atheism killed it. people think they have the answer so they stopped looking and questioning.
>>
>>486993
A field is a quantity that has a value at each point in space. They're an incredibly useful construct, but whether there's actually "something" there is, again, open for debate. Surprising, isn't it?
>>
File: 1423114426956.jpg (10 KB, 177x192) Image search: [Google]
1423114426956.jpg
10 KB, 177x192
>>487015
so it's up for debate whether there's a magnetic force in a magnetic field?
>>
>>487015
At least there is a discernible causality in science.
>>
>>487020
It's up for debate whether the "magnetic field" is just a name for a factor in an equation which has to be multiplied by something else to give the numerical value of the force in question, or something that exists out in the world.
>>
>>487022
>>487020
>>486993

See:

>>486984
>>
>>487027
Yes, we already saw you very intelligent contribution to the thread.
>>
>>487026
interesting.
does reading high school physics textbooks teach about this stuff?
>>
>>487026
where can I learn more about this?
>>
>>486961
>Philosophy is dead!
>Now Science must answer the big questions!
>Science will answer these questions by utilizing the philosophy of Empiricism!
kek
>>
>>487039
Most physics textbooks will skirt the interpretation and tell you not to worry about it, which in my opinion, is extremely damaging to science and turns it into nothing more than an instrumental tool and not something that aims to explain nature. Which is precisely why Hawking and his ilk are incorrect in their assessment of the state of philosophy.

>>487042
Any book on the philosophy of physics really. I would recommend an introductory text. There are plenty of those
>>
>>487054
>I would recommend an introductory text.
any in particular?
>>
>>487058
"An Introduction to the Philosophy of Physics: Locality, Fields, Energy, and Mass"
by Marc Lange is a really good primer on these sorts of problems. Should really open your eyes to just how much physics concerns itself with results and skips around real questions
>>
>>487068
Thanks anon.
>>
>>486834
Philosophy has been always dead though. It's the most useless field of thinking ever.

Save for economic philosophy that is.
>>
>>487079
t. Pretentious STEM degree holder
>>
>>486834
>discussing the reason philosophy is dead is in itself philosophy
I'm pretty sure Badiou said something like that. If fucking hate STEM fags that talk shit about philosophy
>>
>>487099
Seriously, who thinks of Foucaldian Metaphsyical Hurdidurpderp *insert German name here* schools of thought all the time?

The most people give a damn about philosophy is when it matters: in economics. Hence all the cunts going to war over Marx or Capitalism/Free Market.
>>
>>486920
You seem a little defensive, mister autist.
>>
File: 1440053072730.jpg (4 KB, 190x190) Image search: [Google]
1440053072730.jpg
4 KB, 190x190
>>486890
>>
>>486834
The day philosophy dies is the same day humanity goes extinct
>>
>>487139
>98% of all human beings will NEVER even hear of what it is u just mentioned in that comment so therefore, it serves of ZERO importance to use to the human race
Literally you right now.
>>
File: smug41.jpg (46 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
smug41.jpg
46 KB, 1280x720
>>486834
>Why
To anger autists on internet forums and gain more readership on his interview.
>>486890
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.