[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is /his/ Yorkist or Lancastrian?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: roses.jpg (16 KB, 204x247) Image search: [Google]
roses.jpg
16 KB, 204x247
Is /his/ Yorkist or Lancastrian?
>>
>the eternal anglo
>>
>>486591
idk york who gives a fuck and whats the difference
>>
>>486669
>Why have discussion when we can just post le ebic meme replies XD
>>
/his/ see all Norman descended dynasties as usurpers and wants the restoration of the House of Wessex, the legitimate Kings of England.

Either that, or a Republic modelled in the old witans of Anglo-Saxon England.
>>
>>486772
Both houses of Lancaster and York were descended from the house of Wessex though?
>>
>>486772
>Witan
>Republic

Jesus anon.

Anyways Lancastrian all the way.

York is full of yorkshiremen, which all Englishmen find to be detestable assholes.
>>
>>486591

Up until 1483 Lancastrian. From then on, Yorkist.

The more you read up on him, the more a horrible prick Edward IV becomes. Richard III seems a cool guy who doesnt afraid of anything.
>>
>>486782
Most of the armies of the wars of the roses weren't actually compromised of men from the respective duchies of the commanders, there were loads of different reasons a particular region would declare for one side or the other.

Also Lancaster a shit York's claim was the true one
>>
>>486591

Lancastrian. Fucking Yorkist usurpers ruined everything.
>>
>>486782

>he doesnt know that most of Yorkshire were Lancastrian lands
>he doesnt know that the city of York was a Lancastrian stronghold

Interesting to note there's not a single battle in Lancashire at any point during the Wars of the Roses.
>>
Henry VII was the greatest ruler in English history. He dragged England out of the Middle Ages and made it a world power.
>>
>>486814
Edward iv is my favourite English monarch

>Proven front line battle commander
>Avenges fathers death
>Doesn't bow down to intimidation by Warwick
>Excellent womaniser
>Sides with greatest ally Burgundy over France
>Tallest English king ever (manlets btfo)
>Screwed over societies expectations by marrying Elizabeth and not giving a single fuck

He's the type of king I'd want to go on a night out with.

Richard wasn't bad either though.
>>
>>486829
>Thank fuck Lancastrians are oppressing Yorkshiremen
>>
>>486840
I'd say calling Henry vii a Lancastrian is a stretch at best, yea he was descended from John of gaunt but it was through a female line and half the English nobility were also descended from gaunt through the female line.
>>
STARK
>>
>>486850

>Let a Lancastrian bishop go but confiscated most of his property
>Bishop hides some silver plates and cutlery
>After a few years Edward announces hes coming to visit
>Bishop is extatic he's been forgiven and brought back into royal favour
>Brings out his fancy tableware for a celebration
>Edward arrives, has him arrested and confiscated the remaining tableware

I'm genuinely struggling to decide if this is brilliance or bastardry.

Cant for the life of me remember which bishop it was.
>>
>>486860

If you want to get really nitpicky, you could argue that the Wars of the Roses a conflict between the houses of York and Lancaster, ends in 1471 at Tewkesbury/London.

Bosworth is effectively a Yorkist civil war, with most of Henry's army being former supporters of Edward, fighting against supporters of Richard, with a bunch of mercenaries and exiles with a bone to pick jumping in.
>>
>>486591
Most yorkists werent from yorkshire
most lancastrians werent from lancashire
most of the war not even fought anywhere near either places
people still think it was just two counties fighting each other
>>
>>486918
I'd definitely still class it as part of the conflict, just that Henry VII was so distantly related compared to the previous crop of Lancastrians that it feels more like a brand new player entering the conflict than a revival of the old Lancastrian dynasty.
>>
>>486938

True. They're still the same people fighting for the same reasons, only with a new bonus character unlocked.

Like I say, you'd have to be nitpicking.
>>
>>486951
>tfw you haven't unlocked Napoleon for the wars of the roses yet
>>
File: 2a.jpg (143 KB, 511x1003) Image search: [Google]
2a.jpg
143 KB, 511x1003
>>486591
Fuck these frogs
Tudors all the way!
>>
Yorkist. Richard III didnu nuffin.
>>
>>486591
Starks are York and Lannisters are Lancaster right? Definitely York!
>>
>>487001
I don't even know where to begin with this image

Cnut, Harold Harfoot and Harthacnut were certainly not English they were Danish.
Calling the Norman dynasty Franco-Danish is silly, any Danish ancestry they had over a hundred years ago will be negligible compared to their recent ancestry such as Matilda's mother being Scottish or Henry I and William II's mother being Flemish, just call them Normans if you insist on penning them in as one ethnicity.
And whilst the Plantagenet Dynasty certainly had French origins that were occasionally topped up with French princess', by 1400 I'd say they were certainly English as Henry IV couldn't speak a word of French.
Calling William III Scottish when he was clearly Dutch?

Ever since 1066 the English royal family has been a complex mix of european ancestry and that graph is stupid, please tell me I just fell for bait.
>>
T U D O R

U

D

O

R
>>
>>486591
York. Lancasters and Tudors were traitors and cowards who brought Protestantism to England.
>>
>>486591
Can't say, though I am a Jacobin. Francis II is the true king.
>>
>>487339
Fuck, I meant Jacobite.
>>
>>487330

Except the Yorkists are the ones who betrayed their anointed king and murdered him in cold blood.
>>
>>488790
So Henry IV didn't depose Richard II and have him murdered? and he didn't ignore that even without Richard the throne should have gone to Edmund Mortimer?
>>
In 1470, as Warwick’s armies seized control of England, it was Edward who was force to flee into exile. The feeble Henry VI was nominally returned to his throne, and for six months Warwick controlled the country while Margaret (with her son – another Edward, the Lancastrian Prince of Wales) bided their time across the Channel.

They may have waited too long. In the spring of 1471, everything changed again. That March, Edward IV was back, and with a fresh army. On Easter Sunday, 14 April, he met Warwick’s forces at Barnet, in an encounter in which Warwick was slain. This was the news that greeted Margaret after she landed at Weymouth, causing her to fall to the ground, the chronicles report, “like a woman all dismayed with fear”.

But all was not yet lost. While Margaret gathered more troops, her ally Jasper Tudor raised another army in Wales. However, she was separated from him by the river Severn. The crossing at Gloucester was blocked by the Yorkists, so she turned towards Tewkesbury.
>>
File: wpb4d2613c_05_06.jpg (124 KB, 920x372) Image search: [Google]
wpb4d2613c_05_06.jpg
124 KB, 920x372
>>489173
The race to the river was on. The weather was unseasonably hot for early May, and men and horses became frantic for lack of food and water. When they reached the town of Tewkesbury late in the afternoon of 3 May, Margaret’s exhausted men could go no further. Battle was joined the next morning, in terrain one chronicle describes as a morass of “evil lanes and deep dykes, so many hedges, trees and bushes, that it was hard... to come to hand”.

Margaret herself took refuge in the abbey. Legend tells that she mounted the 200 steps of its tower from where she could view the fighting all too clearly. What she saw, to her horror, was an overwhelming Yorkist victory, thanks in part to Edward’s clever deployment of his forces but also to the failure to advance of one veteran Lancastrian commander. A nearby field is still dubbed Bloody Meadow in memory of the slaughter of hapless Lancastrians that took place there. Among the dead was Margaret’s son, probably killed as he fled the battle scene.
>>
File: col_gag_600_large.jpg (84 KB, 944x523) Image search: [Google]
col_gag_600_large.jpg
84 KB, 944x523
Many of the defeated Lancastrians fled into the abbey, claiming sanctuary. The different chronicles vary sharply in their versions of what happened there.

Edward and his two brothers – George, Duke of Clarence, and Richard of Gloucester – pursued the fugitives onto consecrated ground, demanding that the abbot hand them over. One tale tells of Edward bursting into the church itself, sword in hand, at the very moment Mass was being celebrated, only to be confronted by the abbot wielding the Host. The story describes a bloodletting so great that the church had to be reconsecrated.

Margaret was kept in custody until she was eventually ransomed back to her native France, where she died in poverty. After Tewkesbury she had become irrelevant. She had been a formidable fighter – a “tiger’s heart wrapped in a woman’s hide,” as Shakespeare would describe her. But now she had no Lancastrian claimant for whom to fight.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.