[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the height of a man as glorified in older times, no matter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: charlemagne.jpg (48 KB, 387x490) Image search: [Google]
charlemagne.jpg
48 KB, 387x490
Was the height of a man as glorified in older times, no matter what century, as it is nowadays? Did people offer you certain jobs, special military units or anything else? Did shorter people have it worse in any way, or was it completely irrelevant? If so, when did height become such an important thing in most societies nowadays?
>>
>>479966

Is this a subtle manlet bashing thread?
>>
>>480000

No I'm serious.

Nice quads tho
>>
>>479966
>special military units
The First King of Prussia was obsessed with tall guardsmen. There was a height requirement to be a Prussian Guard to the King.

Also Grenadiers were big men since the belief being large cunts can throw grenades further. Eventually Grenade throwing was phased out and Grenadiers were just selected for their physical strength as they were shock troops and expected to ace in hand2hand combat.
>>
"You see what it is to be six foot tall and a lord!"
>>
>>479966
It's only decisive between equals.

Height is just another way for poorfags to throw their weight around, like bling and bodybuilding.

Notice rich people avoid bling and look down on bodybuilding - because they're playing the social status game at a much higher level. The war and diplomacy and high finance level.
The length of your arm pales in comparison to, say, the ability to invade Iraq and distribute war booty to your buddies.
>>
There's actually an old poem called the manlet where the writer bashes them.
>>
File: 59052.jpg (67 KB, 495x702) Image search: [Google]
59052.jpg
67 KB, 495x702
>>479966
Serbs were big in medieval times also (judging by skelets of their nobles)

This guy, the Serbian Tsar Dushan (1345 A.D.) had a knights guard that was recruited of men that were by todays measures around 2,00m height (he himself was 2,17m, according to the length measurments of his thighbone).
>>
>>480078
This is some stupid shit mate
>>
>>480795
It's completely true.

Bring fit is only a status symbol for the poor and powerless.
>>
I guess like the story about David and Goliath, there was something spectacular about being tall
>>
>>480983
>>480078
Think of it like collecting points.
Six digit salary -> 10 points
Fit body -> 2 points
Handsome face -> 5 points

Etc, it's all a balance between different things we value as positive, same thing applies to everything, such as height, hand size, etc. you can be handsome as hell but still dirtpoor skeleton with anxiety. Guess which one people would hire or would attract the most women - poor handsome skeleton or fat rich guy.
>>
>>479966

In the 15th century Paston letters, they repeated refer to picking out 'tall men' for military service.
>>
>>480029
This is where the Napoleon being short meme came from, since despite being average height he looked tiny compared to his guardsmen.
>>
>>480215
sup with balkan mountain people being tall? Im 175(manlet king) home in Norway, but when i traveled in the mountain region between Croatia and Bosnia, i felt like a hobbit.
>>
T. E. Lawrence was 5'5", but history will remember him as the 6'2" Peter o'Toole.

I'm sure the same goes for how all great men are shown to tower above all others. I think it's more, in terms of art and reputation, a way of showing their character, rather than their actual body.
>>
>>481505
Also:
>Hitler= 1.73m
>"lol little big man syndrome."
>Churchill= 1.67m
>"What a great leader! So amazing!"
>>
File: defeating-the-Sea-Peoples.jpg (137 KB, 847x458) Image search: [Google]
defeating-the-Sea-Peoples.jpg
137 KB, 847x458
>>481505
Thats bullshit, Egyptian pharaohs were obviously over 5 meter high.
>>
File: Tomb-of-Ramses-II.jpg (88 KB, 617x403) Image search: [Google]
Tomb-of-Ramses-II.jpg
88 KB, 617x403
>>481551
Is it true that they would draw their wives much tinier too or was it only slaves and servants?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.