[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
British Empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: The_British_Empire.png (411 KB, 2753x1400) Image search: [Google]
The_British_Empire.png
411 KB, 2753x1400
Why is it not taught in school?
>>
But it is. You've noticed we have a Tory government, right? Who likes to wank over the empire because MUH RAILROADS, MUH NO SUNSET
>>
It's a condition of modern society's view of the world. The empires of the past are seen as a shameful and guilt ridden aspect of history.
>>
>>476788
I learned about it.

t.american
>>
Lefties feeling ashamed
>>
Noble savage syndrome
Muh evil empire
>>
It is in my country because I don't live in North Korea.

Or South Korea. They're both the same in terms of the literacy of the population.
>>
>>476788
You're a fucking retard if you think the "multicultural for all England tory's" are pro-empire
>>
it was a meme empire 2bh
>>
>>476795
>You've noticed we have a Tory government, right? Who likes to wank over the empire because MUH RAILROADS, MUH NO SUNSET

You sound like a drooling retard. The Tories are so ideologically weak at the moment that their centrism stops from them ever regarding the empire as a good thing. Nobody has publicly admitted that the empire was a good thing for literally decades.
>>
>>476788
I think you should look for a better school OP.
>>
>>476788

>Japan has to apologize every year for having an empire for a few decades

>no other country with an empire is expected to do the same
>>
>>477756
Murica cucked them pretty hard
>>
>>477756
Proper armed forces and some nukes would probably fix that though.
>>
>>477756
>>no other country with an empire is expected to do the same
Germany
>>
>>477791
retard pls go
>>
>>477801
Belgium.
Holland.
>>
>>477822

They give annual apologies of the kind Japan is expected to give?
>>
>>477866
Asked and answered you horrible puss filled fuckhole.
>>
>>476788
it's mostly quite dull, shit and boring

india is shit
africa is shit
australia is basically a penal colony and new zealand is barely any better
the middle east is shit and we fucked it up entirely with the french
canada is lame and boring
the usa is our greatest creation however, since thanks to them the de facto global lingua franca is english.

t. john smith
>>
>>477883

Then the answer is yes?

Could you link me to the actual text? Clearly google hasn't heard about it.
>>
>>477887

>burger trying to post as a bong

I see through your ruse traitorous yank
>>
>>476788

It's not very politically correct.

Plus it doesnt feed into the liberal agenda, they dont want people to see Britain as a powerful world player. They want to push the fact that Britain is small and powerless, a nation that needs to invest in the welfare state and cuck itself to the EU to survive.
>>
>>477929

There was a time when it was politically correct to unquestioningly support the Empire too.
>>
>>477940

That time has long passed.
>>
>>477756
No one gives a shit about the empire of Japan per se, its more about the method and manner they conducted themselves that would be abhorrent in most centuries past the middle-ages, let along 19th and 20th.

Not saying there isn't a good chunk of hypocrisy there, but hypocrisy in itself doesn't absolve Japan of how batshit insane they were. I fucking hate the Chinese with a burning passion and still think that Japan went too far.
>>
>>477887

It's a meme that murica made English the Lingua Franca.

The largest English speaking nation on Earth is India, then you've got all the African shitholes, Canada, Australia etc.

Murica may be keeping the ball rolling but that's about it.
>>
>>476788
Too much to cover in each part of the world unless you want to do empire wankery.
>>
>>476788
>Why is it not taught in school?

Oh but it is taught about in every school in China.

The Opium Wars, the unequal treaties, the colonial exploitation, the foreign concessions, the Boxer rebellion and the invasion of the Eight-Nation alliance. The whole century of humiliation is covered in gruesome detail.
>>
The British Empire was 1. The greatest in all history 2. Ultimately had a positive effect on the world

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>479494
Simple. The vast majority of modern Brits are ashamed of it. Why would something good bring shame?
>>
>>479494
>1. The greatest in all history

Mongols would disagree

>2. Ultimately had a positive effect on the world

All modern geopolitical conflicts can be traced back to British colonial era border divisions
>>
>>479497
Ah, I fully admit that the Empire commit loads of terrible crimes, and they were shameful crimes. Especially considering that they were often done for the supposed good of the victims.

But "The British Empire committed loads of crimes" and "Ultimately had a positive effect on the world" are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>479458
This is what concerns me.
>>
>>479512

Even the Balkan Wars?/Dissolution of Yugoslavia?
>>
>>479494
>2. Ultimately had a positive effect on the world
Are we talking in absolute or relative terms? Because it's easy to note that the world was better off in the 20th/21st centuries than in the 18th (now that the British Empire collapsed, natch) but it's not obvious that historical alternatives would have turned out worse.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.