[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just how mad was FDR?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
Just how mad was FDR?
>>
He was so furious he had to sit down.
>>
Probably not much.
>>
>>475282

It was an election year and popular opinion wanted this to be done.
>>
File: jean-jacques-rousseau.jpg (155 KB, 939x1130) Image search: [Google]
jean-jacques-rousseau.jpg
155 KB, 939x1130
>>475513
>What's that? A solid majority says scrap the constitution and use it as natural manure? Get them scissors boys!
>>
>>475524
It was all constitutional though, the Supreme Court upheld the action.
>>
>>475528
It was unconstitutional. The Supreme Court kowtowing to public pressure does not vindicate the decision.
>>
Honestly a lot less people died (both Japanese and White Americans) with the Internment Camps than without them. As the stories of Japanese atrocities leaked into the public the mob violence against Japanese would have been epic in proportions. The Internment camps were as much used to keep Japanese in America safe as it was to protect the security of the United States.
>>
>>475625

The bank's took all the interned japanese's money tho and would not pay them back.

I think it took like to the 60's or 70's for the court to order the banks to pay back in full, without interest.
>>
>>475625
>mob violence against Japanese would have been epic in proportions
Were there lynch mobs against German Americans? Honest question
>>
>>475632
Fucking jew man
>>
>>475632
Also a lot of blacks took over and moved into Japanese homes when they were interned. So in a lot of places formerly Japanese neighborhoods became black neighborhoods.
>>
>>475528
It wasn't constitutional and it was an extremely controversial supreme court decision that was eventually thrown away.

But it was one of the greatest insults to the Constitution in American history.
>>
>>475638
During WWI, yes. During WW2 not so much but there were definitely cases of German Americans executed for treason and thousands of Germans (and Italians) were also interned during the war.
>>
>>475597
>The Supreme Court doesn't decide what is and isn't constitutional! I, an anon from 4chan, am the sole arbiter of constitutionality!
>>
>>475638
Read "War Without Mercy" by John Dower. The war between America and Japan was extremely racial on both sides in ways that were not present in the European conflict. Also the West coast had a long history of anti-Japanese (and Chinese) agitation, including the Alien Land Act of 1913 in California (passed by a Progressive governor).

Hell, there were massive race riots between white and black workers during the war, there would have been massive race riots against the Japanese for sure.
>>
>>475658
Not him and I don't know much about this particular ruling but SCOTUS had shitton of controversial rulings, and especially during wartime when it's politicized as hell.
>>
Are most Japanese Americans from that era even that butthurt about the internment camps, aside from George Takei?

I mean, in most documentaries about internment camps that I've seen there's usually much more nostalgia present in the interviewees than resentment.
>>
>>475716

yes of course they're upset about it what sort of question is it
>>
>>475723
There's a difference between being upset about something and letting it control your life.
>>
>>475732
They've been unjustly and arguably unlawfully detained and transferred en masse m8, I'd say they're entitled to be butthurt about it. If anything their reaction is more low-key than expected (compare it to blacks on slavery and such).
>>
>>475747
Seems like they realized how pointless it would be to lay around with a chip on their shoulder complaining about past wrongs and instead decided to make something of themselves with what they had available to them. And now Japanese Americans have some of the highest incomes of any ethnic group in America and are among the best educated. Imagine that.
>>
>>475760
Well the vast majority of Asian Americans immigrated after the war. But yeah.
>>
>>475775
Most Japanese Americans have roots in prewar migrations, though. But yes aside from small Chinese, Japanese, and Filipino populations prior to 1965 most Asians have come over more or less in the last 50 years.
>>
Not mad at all, he was probably happy to do it.
>>
>>475625
Why are you calling concentration camps internment camps?
>>
>>477711
Because that's what they were you dip.
>>
>>475775
That's because of the ban on Asian immigrants prewar. They would be a lot more numerous if not for racist sentiment keeping them out.
>>
>>477732
It's called being a sovereign nation and having control over your national borders, dingus.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.