[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is consciousness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: db3.png (71 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
db3.png
71 KB, 500x461
What is consciousness?
>>
I'm sure a thread on a Taiwanese Basket Weaving forum will finally solve this question.
>>
>>470520
Aware! Miraculously Aware!
>>
>>470525
its as good as any.
>>
A higher level of instinctive “thought"
>>
at it's very core, a complex system of neurological processes. all biological.

it's also a mind capable of thinking about itself, have self awareness, relying on empathy and subjectivity to develop this superior functioning.
>>
The constant exposure to phenomenona
>>
>>470745
How do you know that?
>>
hello yes I'm 14 and this is my question
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-27+at+12.59.06).png (8 KB, 336x400) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-27+at+12.59.06).png
8 KB, 336x400
>>470757
pic related it's my favourite meme
>>
>>470754

it's just my opinion. but i've read a lot about the subject, from Libet to Damásio.
>>
The more complex a neuron network is, the more and clearer it picks up Being like a radio signal. Consciousness is everywhere
>>
The only real proof we have of our own existence, or of the existence of anything at all for that matter.
>>
> Muh emergent properties from complexity
It's like I'm talking to sociology students
>>
>>470789
I hate when people say this. Where is the evidence for consciousness being "something" that is out there in nature as a form of matter and energy?
>>
>>470877
Do you have any other explanation than consciousness being an epiphenomenon of a material brain? It seems the most likely conclusion given what evidence we have about the brain, but you are welcome to disagree.
>>
>>472974
We only see consciousness in matter, so there's no reason we shouldn't aspect matter has also a consciousness component. Read about panpsychism
>>
>>472991
It doesn't explain what consciousness is, just where it arises
>>
>>472998
It doesn't accurately explain it's substance philosophically no, but since we cannot know if consciousness is possible without their being matter first, then it might not even have any substance.
>>
>>473012
>substance

is it a substance?
>>
Well you have your ego, which is your thoughts. It is a survival tool. It has expectations and limitations and if left uncontrolled it will cause a great deal of pain and suffering.
Then you have your higher self, which is basically your connection with god. Enlightenment is making this higher self absolute
>>
Wouldn't it be easier to classify what consciousness is not?
>>
>>470520
I think it's the name we give to a combination of our perceptual capacities, the material those capacities provide, our capacity for language/logic, and the ability to apply that capacity to the aforementioned items I listed. Would welcome any thoughts on this since I'm not too sure myself.
>>
>>473812
no
>>
>>470520
the capacity of a system to respond to stimuli
>>
>>472974
atoms are units of consciousness
the more ordered atoms in a system, the more conscious that system is

basic shit m8
>>
>>472974
Where is the evidence for the United States being something that is out there in nature as a form of matter and energy?
>>
>>473983
>the more ordered atoms in a system, the more conscious that system is

Solids are more ordered than liquids, is a rock more conscious than a river?
>>
>>474079
Probably mane, who knows
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.