[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anything ever happen in Belfast except for almost constant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: belslow.jpg (555 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
belslow.jpg
555 KB, 1280x853
Did anything ever happen in Belfast except for almost constant rioting?
>>
>>468734
My grandfather got on a boat and got the fuck out,.
>>
they built boats so that people could leave
>>
they built the titanic
>>
The United Irishmen
The Titanic
CS Lewis
Van Morrison
Snow Patrol

The Troubles introduced urban warfare as a fighting style to the world for the first time and provided a "training ground" for the battles that were fought by western forces in the Middle East in the 21st century. Once heard that little robot they send in to disarm bombs was developed and first used in (London)derry.
>>
>>469142

glad Belfast made such innovative advancements to human knowledge
>>
>>469142
>The Troubles introduced urban warfare as a fighting style
Do you mean urban insurgency? I'd say the Algerians did it first when they fought against the French.
>>
>>469166

there's also like, WW2
>>
File: sten coolguy.jpg (216 KB, 1242x1234) Image search: [Google]
sten coolguy.jpg
216 KB, 1242x1234
>>469166
>>469142
Actually, scratch that about the Algerians. The various WWII resistance groups like Holger Danske executed assassinations as well as bombings and hit and run attacks as well.

>>469180
Yes I thought about that afterward.
>>
>>469166
Yes, thank you for the correct terminology and mentioning Algeria. Some of that was parroted from pub conversations I had when I was in Belfast. It's a lovely city, it's remarkable how far it's come.
>>
>>469187

>people in Belfast take pride in helping advance the field of urban warfare
>>
>>469207

people in the UK and Ireland have literally no standards in what they'll take pride in
>>
>>469142
>>469166
>>469185
He means the Easter Rising of 1916. The reason he's not defending/correcting his views are because he got them from reddit and mixed up the wars in his head.

The Russians took the plans for the Easter Rising and used them for the defense of Stalingrad.
>>
File: denmark.jpg (96 KB, 1012x649) Image search: [Google]
denmark.jpg
96 KB, 1012x649
>>469185

>Danske
>resistance

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
There was that time when Verminous and Rod Nukem hid a nuke in Belfast and gave one trigger to a Catholic and one to a Protestant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uvujCPzbu0
>>
>>470341

>ha, everyone will blame the jews
>>
Belfast is just a shitty british town stuck in a 1970's timewarp, pretty much full of chavs
>>
>>470707

is it safe to call it british?
>>
>>470728
Not in parts of it.
>>
>>470728

yes though people might have opinions about it
>>
>>470728

Obviously not a good idea since you will either start a fight or just anooy somebody who wont talk to you any more
>>
>>470822

not necessarily, Belfast is considered the most unionist part of NI despite having a few hardcore republican areas
>>
>>470738
>>470743
>>470822

But isn't it part of the British Isles and therefore british even if it wasn't in the UK?
>>
>>470095
I would say that the Communards introduced it in 1871
>>
>>470828

>a few hardcore republican areas
>a few

The voting majority of city now

>>470866

Thats a great conversation opener for visitors to use
>>
>>470866
geographically all of Ireland is part of the British isles, but not of Great Britain which consists of the countries within the larger landmass, i.e, England, Wales and Scotland (IIRC). Northern Ireland is part of the UK. (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). The British Isles are a geographical term not a political term, so the appropriateness of the the term " British" for use in Northern Ireland is contentious. Though i dont see any problem in identifying as British if your from NI, or vice versa identifying as Irish. We have cultural claims to both
>>
>>469244
>>469207
I reckon as nation, Irish and especially Northern Irish people, we have the global equivalent of little man syndrome. As such small countries we feel like nobody knows anything about us, so anything that can put us on the map or in the spotlight, we will flock to, admire and take over bloated pride in.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.