[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made Indo-europeans so successful,/his/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11
File: display-2613.jpg (60 KB, 500x460) Image search: [Google]
display-2613.jpg
60 KB, 500x460
What made Indo-europeans so successful,/his/?
>>
>>468172
Probably cows and horses.
>>
Horses
>>
>>468172
How did IE-speakers end up in sri lanka?
>>
Iron and horses
>>
File: 5342.jpg (145 KB, 1111x597) Image search: [Google]
5342.jpg
145 KB, 1111x597
>>468172
>turkey
>>
None.

You are confusing ethnic peoples and languages.
>>
>>468172
Why is knowing a language tied to success?

>>468182
>>468184
>>468194
>Horses
Plenty of people outside Indo-Europeans arguably used horses with more success eg.Mongols
>>
>>468207
This so much.
>>
>>468182
>>468184
>>468194
So horses also explained their later success? I mean they probaply dominated at first because of horses but after that everyone used horses. I mean why did the semites for example fall under IE-rule so quickly? Why was most of history dominated by Indo-europeans?
>>
>>468201
>Hungary
>>
>>468207
>none
What are you referring to?
>>
>>468208
>Plenty of people outside Indo-Europeans arguably used horses with more success eg.Mongols
Don't remember the Mongols conquering India and becoming a permanent semi-ethnic ruling caste.
>>
The persistence of lactase production into adulthood perhaps?
>>
>>468224
Manchu et co did pretty well in China
>>
>>468215
>why did the semites for example fall under IE-rule so quickly
You have a strange opinion of "quickly".

>Why was most of history dominated by Indo-europeans?
Oh, the Needham question? Because post-PIEs got their shit pushed in by Muslims.
>>
>>468227
That's an oddly specific and silly explanation.
>>
>>468208
I guess OP means why were it indo-european languages who established themselves so massively all over the world and not other language families.
>>
>>468220
>>468201
>Finland
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS UP
>>
>>468233
Semites were pretty much stomped to the ground during classical times by the persians,greeks and romans.
>>
>>468243
If they got stomped into the ground then semetic languages would be extinct.
>>
>>468243
Ah, which is why semitic languages dominate the Middle East and East Africa
>>
>>468235
Milk and cheese are great, yo. Also I don't know of any other adaptions as widespread through that specific population.
>>
>>468172
pigs
>>
>>468172
WE

DOMESTICATED

AUROCHS
>>
>>468208
Indo-Europeans were the first to use horses
>>
>>468405
Dude, pigs is like the Chinese pay-to-win.
>>
>>468194
>Iron
No, they expanded long before iron came into use.
>>468215
>why did the semites for example fall under IE-rule so quickly?
Not sure what you're referring to in particular. Mostly they didn't.
>>
>>468431
literally lmao
>>
>>468405
>pigs
cowe
>>
>>468207
You're right, people just started speaking Indo-European for no reason.
>>
File: R1a_migration_map.jpg (309 KB, 1600x631) Image search: [Google]
R1a_migration_map.jpg
309 KB, 1600x631
>>468529
>>468207
These bastards helped.
>>
>>468182
>>468194
You're blaming the tools themselves, not the knowledge to use them. They had metals and animals that could be domesticated in other places. What gave them the ability to utilize them?

>it was bound to happen anyway
Thousands of years of history in other parts of the world would disagree with you.
>>
>>468575
>What gave them the ability to utilize them?

The end of the ice age
>>
>>468628
Nice meme
>>
>>468441
Which doesn't mean much in terms of effectiveness. If we're arguing which language family had used horses to their success, it would be the Mongols and many of the other east steppe groups who were known almost exclusively for their skill in cavalry.
>>
Blue eyes.
>>
>>468172
Location location location
>>
>>468815
Indo-Europeans had horses before everyone else, and that allowed them to spread their language from the Atlantic to India.
>>
>>468553
>>468172
>Finland
>Turkey
>Hungary

Holy shit you can't make this up

Fucking Mongols lmao
>>
Horses and grassland
>>
Horses
>>
I think the spread of chariots has been linked to the indo-europeans.
>>
>geography

no true geographical barriers like dry deserts and thick disease-filled rainforests to stop Indo-European settlements from communicating and trading with each other. Ideas are able to spread through exchange and trade, and cities can be managed from a single place, a capital, rather effectively.

>food that can be easily grown and harvested

Wheat truly is the giver of life next to water, easy to grow, extremely reliant, high calorie count, and a short and predictable growing season. With the only comparable crop being Rice, other regions of the world didn't have access to such stable and reliable food.

>animals

beasts of burden such as cow, pigs, and horses are key for meat, transport, and agriculture. Trading large amounts of goods is possible with cows, fast transportation with horses, and abundant meat with pigs.
>>
The Horse, the Wheel and Language is a very thorough book on this topic (almost too thorough for non-archaeologist, it can be a bit tedious when it comes to documenting excavation contents). Definitely recommended though.
>>
>>468172
wine senpai clearly being the earliest wine producers caused them to be bestest
>>
>indo-europeans

why do people do this? has no one else realized how retarded it is to try to connect Persians, and Indians to northern eruopeans?
>>
>>469419
ill yourself my man
>>
>>469421
fuck you. i get tired of seeing british and other northern european fucks trying to take credit for the history of my people while hiding behind the 'indo-european' term.
>>
>>469427
>s-stop trying to accurately map pre history
>i-it h-hurts my feelings
>>
>>469433
>dumb norther european fuck starts talking about persians
>says: "yea isnt OUR indo european history amazing"
>people think this is okay
>>
>>469419
We invented "Indo-Iranian" for your subhumans
>>
>>469433
>euroshits
>accurately mapping pre history

you had that opportunity and failed tremendously
>>
>>469419
>has no one else realized how retarded it is to try to connect Persians, and Indians to northern eruopeans?
Like it or not their languages, mythologies, and cultures have the same skeleton
>>469427
Well that's understandable. But it's more like a brother taking the accomplishments of his siblings.
>>
>>469439
your claim of inaccuracy lacks substance hakim
>>
>>469446
>But it's more like a brother taking the accomplishments of his siblings.

except we're not brothers because we're not related. ancient brits were not connected to ancient persia. Stop trying to steal the ancient history of another group because yours was abo tier.
>>
>>469453
I don't think anyone has ever claimed credit for persian accomplishments being quintessentially British senpai. At most I've ever seen is people not wanting to nuke the shit out of iran because they are partially related to europeans.
>>
>>469451
>lacks substance

theres too much to provide to the average simpleton such as yourself.
>>
>>469473
>I won't post any proofs
>ur dumb
>s-stop trying to make me do work to prove my retarded fantasy's
k
>>
>>469470
>I don't think anyone has ever claimed credit for persian accomplishments being quintessentially British senpai.

but they do, i've talked with numerous people of norther european descent on different history forums and they always say 'we' or 'our' when discussing persian history(for example person 1 says something about Persia, then the northern euroclown says 'yea our history sure is great!'). And whenever I ask 'what do you mean by "we", your people were living like savages when the persians were at their peak' they always say 'i mean us indo-europeans man xD!'
>>
>>469486
Screencap ONE example of this.
>>
>>469492
fuck you, i cant do it now, but I'll start taking screen shots from now on. I know you've seen it or something similar before.
>>
>>469486
The only people who do this is Persians when they want to pretend to be White/Aryan through the Indo-European connection.

If you want to call out Celts and Nordics on this shit you better start with places like Greece and Rome.
>>
>>469525
>The only people who do this is Persians when they want to pretend to be White/Aryan through the Indo-European connection.

wrong, this literally never happens.

>If you want to call out Celts and Nordics on this shit you better start with places like Greece and Rome.

what? Nordicists trying to claim greeksand romans were all blonde haired blue eyed nordic aryan men?
>>
>>468194
>Iron
no
>>
>>469419
Only butthurt Persians and Indians who dont want to believe that their culture and language came from Europe
>>
>>469879
yes, the great pontic steppe just north of brighton
>>
>>469879
>came from Europe

came from the ancestral same culture

pretty sure later European cultures didn't come from pre-IE populations
>>
>>468172
genes
>>
>>468172
Good climate, plenty of arable land, surrounded by bodies of water for easier travel, trade and plentiful source of water in fish. Later during the age of exploration, European experience from sailing the surrounding calmer seawater's helped with ocean travel. Also the Atlantic ocean provided shorter and calmer sea routes to travel to the good parts of the Americas.
>>
File: kek.jpg (177 KB, 455x395) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
177 KB, 455x395
>>469914
>>
hol up hol up hol up
so you're saying we wuz succesful migrants and shieet?
>>
>>469879
>who dont want to believe that their culture and language came from Europe

yea, that's why there are dozens of grand ancienct societies in north of southern europe...oh wait, there aren't
>>
>>469909
>came from the ancestral same culture
which arose in europe
>>
File: p039_0_00_1.jpg (52 KB, 592x336) Image search: [Google]
p039_0_00_1.jpg
52 KB, 592x336
>>470555
>which arose in europe
>>
If you mean why they spread across the world much faster than had happened with previous human migration trends, it was the domestication of the horse. If you mean why they overcame the civilizations in India and the Fertile Crescent, that was the beginning of a recurring trend in history: pastoralist peoples field huge armies of cavalry out of nowhere because the larger portion of their population have no fields to sow. They then overcome sedentary societies where warfare is monopolized by a professional caste to allow for a greater centralization of power, which is a feature largely absent among nomads. Of course, this only really happened in the Indo-Iranian branch, in Europe there were no real shakeups until the iron age enabled Celtic military-settlement expansionism.
>>
File: IE_expansion.png (151 KB, 450x275) Image search: [Google]
IE_expansion.png
151 KB, 450x275
>>470562
Yep, that map correctly shows that the Kurgan culture is in Europe.
It's got a lot of other problems, though. Here's a better one.
>>
To keep in mind a lot of the expansion occurred during the bronze age, things started to level out after the iron aged and it became harder for steppe nomads to conquer settled peoples.
>>
>>470562
Family I know that Ukraine is full of violence and aids and might as well be Africa, but it's technically in Europe.
>>
>>468224
They couldn't conquer India because we have Himalayas 'n shiieet.
Not to mention there were vast jungle regions.
Kinda glad they didn't, I don't want mongol genes fucking up my pool.
>>
>>471145
>The Moogle Empire? What's that?
>>
>>471145
This is how your ancestors looked before being cultural enriched by Aryans.

Then you took the Aryan's religion and turned it into worshiping cows and literally drinking Brahmin semen for "blessings".
>>
>>471226
I said nothing about Aryans in my post.
I'm glad Aryans came, and I'm glad Mongols didn't.
>>
File: 6_000048-1.jpg (264 KB, 1024x686) Image search: [Google]
6_000048-1.jpg
264 KB, 1024x686
>>471234
I was referencing your "pool".

Are you sure there aren't mongoloids walking amongst you?
>>
>>471226
The Aryans revered cattle too
>>
File: 196.jpg (1 MB, 1250x1762) Image search: [Google]
196.jpg
1 MB, 1250x1762
>>468891
>>
>>468182
>>468184
>>468194
>>468441
>>468953
>>469181
>>469236
Horses are quite prominent in almost all Indo-European mythologies and quite a few later things.

Hengest and Horsa

And here is some more from myarmory.com

In the rituals you can see a few remnants of Kingship tied with horse sacrifices, as the divine twins originally has “horse names“.

Sanskrit - Yajurveda: Ashvamedha ritual. (The sacrifice of a Stallion). The only extensive ritual we have left from Indo-European times. Last performed in 1716 AD (!) by Jai Singh II of Amber.
Ashva-medha is likely with the meaning “Horse-mead/drunk“.
Here it is the queen that has (mock?) intercourse with the dead stallion, that has been placed beforehand is the right-end of a four-horse chariot and then sacrificed.

Roman: October Equus. The sacrifice of the right-hand horse in a two-horsed chariot race to Mars. Then the tail becomes a talisman to fight over. Horsetails were often used on helmets.

Celtic: Kenelcunil tribe of Ulster and their Kingship-ritual.
Here the would-be King have intercourse with a white mare in front of the whole tribe.

Germanic: Völsa þáttr - sung as a preserved horse penis is passed around a family [here it is told as a household ritual as the Norwegian Christian King is present, but incognito, and ends the ritual and revealing himself as King, when he throws the horse penis to the dog]
Sacrificial horse meat was consumed to such extent in Scandinavia (mythologically tied to Frey), that the Christian church made the consumption illegal (though it say nothing of the sort in the bible).
Frey is in fact a twin horse god (with an extensive member as can be seen from figurines and “Völsi“ is a horse penis), but something happened in Scandinavia, since his twin turned female (Freya). Frey and Freya are not names but titles: Means Lord and Lady!
cont.
>>
>>472226
cont.

>Ibn Fadlan describe Rus vikings having a funeral for a chief, where two horses are run sweaty (no use of chariots, but they are run) and then sacrificed (slaughtered to pieces with swords).

>In Hittite laws (200A) bestiality was illegal except for horses and mules interestingly enough from a Indo-European perspective:
"If a man has sexual relations with either a horse or a mule. it is not an offense, but he shall not approach the king, nor shall he become a priest." It does only say “not approach the king“, so maybe then you are dangerous to the king (royal pretender?).
So the part not to approach the king and not become a priest has here likely become tied to taboo (uncleanliness), but why this exact exception compared to other animals.....

>Herodotus describes it for burials of Scythian Kings and many Kurgans on the steppe shows numerous horse skeletons in graves.
>>
>>468235
You. Are. A. Fucking. Retard.

Lactose tolerance is a trait that has spread farther and faster than any other we have evidence for, because of the competitive advantages it offers.
>>
File: fixed europe.png (4 MB, 4562x4787) Image search: [Google]
fixed europe.png
4 MB, 4562x4787
>that fucking Hungary cyst
>>
>>472479
gypsey
>>
>>468815>>468232
>>468184

Mongols adopted horses AFTER they had been cucked by the IE scythians.

North chinese tribes were at first part of the ancient "mythical" chinese civilizations and after they learned how to use the horse (and scythian bow), they never got off the ride till like 200 years ago
>>
>>469427

POO
>>
>>469419
>>469427
>>469453
>>469486
It's actually the opposite. Persians, Indians etc use the Indo-European connection to assert that they are White.
>>
>>469228
>Wheat truly is the giver of life next to water, easy to grow, extremely reliant, high calorie count, and a short and predictable growing season. With the only comparable crop being Rice, other regions of the world didn't have access to such stable and reliable food.

Corn and potatoes?
>>
>>472226
>>472230
>the entirety of the Indo-European Language speaking people, from the British Celts to the North Indians, the LANGUAGE WE WRITE IN RIGHT NOW has its origins in... Horse Fuckery
I need to take a break.
>>
>>473428
hide Jared Diamond threads
ignore Jared Diamond posts
do not reply to Jared Diamond posters
>>
>>468224
Mughals?
>>
>>473428
> Potatoes
Needed extensive breeding to become efficient, high failure rate
>>
>>475748
Weren't the Timurids Persianized Uzbeks?
>>
>>468172
For starters they had access to the silk road. Mostly the silk road flowed west though, bringing the ideas all westward.
The Geography of the areas helped to fascilitate trade as well. The various seas made travel easier. This allowed for the establishment of empires to flourish off of trade, and productivity.
>>
>>475875
The silk road is just 2200 years old
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.