[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was there anything quite like the Crusades/Jihads anywhere else
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1426967028483.jpg (52 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1426967028483.jpg
52 KB, 480x360
Was there anything quite like the Crusades/Jihads anywhere else in the world? Where several nations of the same religion got together and declared war on other nations of another religion for centuries?
>>
>>467008
Delian Leagues (aka Athenian Empire) wars against Persia, they even had their HQ and treasure in a temple, and they used the same rationalization - "liberation of our clay from eastern oppressors". They ended up just like Crusaders - by becoming greedy and turning on their brothers in Sparta and Corinth.

> Where several nations of the same religion got together and declared war on other nations of another religion for centuries?
This applies to Crusaders only, tbqh senpai.
>>
The cold war with geopolitical alliances, however it was only 50 years
>>
>>467049
>Delian League vs Persian Empire
Doesn't work well as an example given that Sparta was constantly working with Persia and it'd be the equivalent to the entirety of Southern Europe fighting Northern Europe.
>>
>>467143
Sparta only worked with the Persians much later, after the big peace.
>>
>>467153
As soon as the Delian League became a thing they were financed and funded by Persia for a loooooooooong time.
>>
>>467049
I feel like a total doofus for not knowing /his/ memes, but what does, "clay," mean, in this context? I see it all the time.
>>
>>467251
Clay is much, much older than /his/. It just means land/territory.
>>
File: Map_of_the_First_Balkan_War.png (775 KB, 1689x1185) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_the_First_Balkan_War.png
775 KB, 1689x1185
First Balkan War, the Orthodox Crusade. Too bad the coalition didn't last long.
>>
>>467251
/int/ (?) meme, clay = rightfully owned land. Eg Kosovo is stolen Serbian clay.
>>
>>467262
Ah, thanks!
>>
>>467339
It might be from Krautchan, I think.
>>
>>467412
It's from the remove kebab original youtube video.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.