[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interesting /his/-related things in your town
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 24
Hey /his/torians

ITT we post interesting /his/-related things in your town. They can be graves, museums, locations, plaques, etc.

I'll start with a couple of locations from my own home city. Pic related: Old Calton Burial Ground, Edinburgh. The round building is David Hume's tomb, and the statue of Lincoln is a memorial to Scottish soldiers who fought for the Union in the Civil War. It was the first statue of a US president outside the USA.
>>
>>465931

Waverly Station, Edinburgh's rail hub. It is the only railway station in Britain, and possibly the world, to be named for a fictional character, Sir Walter Scott's 'Waverly'.
>>
File: adam smith's house.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
adam smith's house.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>465931

A wee bit outside Edinburgh, but Scotland is so small we might as well not care - the house on Kirkcaldy where Adam Smith wrote 'The Wealth of Nations'.
>>
File: cramond island defences.jpg (178 KB, 900x599) Image search: [Google]
cramond island defences.jpg
178 KB, 900x599
The causeway out to Cramond Island. The island formed part of Edinburgh's naval defences in the WW2. You can visit the island by walking across the causeway at low tide, but you need to get back before high tide or you'll be stranded. The large concrete spikes to the right were built during the war to stop submarines or shallow-draft vessels infiltrating past the island at high-tide.
>>
File: esztergom_02.jpg (188 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
esztergom_02.jpg
188 KB, 1024x680
Well, theres a whole medieval castle to being with.
>>
File: DSC_0837.jpg (591 KB, 1228x813) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0837.jpg
591 KB, 1228x813
But lot of it was demolished to build this neoclassicist cathedral in the early 1800s.
>>
File: mt301mr9619c.jpg (56 KB, 698x600) Image search: [Google]
mt301mr9619c.jpg
56 KB, 698x600
the castle contains a 13. century gothic chapel which was the private chapel of the royal family.
>>
>>465953
he went doon greggs ta git his tea am sure
>>
the whole rivershore is littered with sections of the towns medieval wall and towers
>>
File: Esztergom.Dzsami-Nyugat.jpg (296 KB, 1704x2272) Image search: [Google]
Esztergom.Dzsami-Nyugat.jpg
296 KB, 1704x2272
Theres an Ottoman mosque built into one of the towers, the northenmost mosque buitl by Turks, its a museum today and only third of the minarets original height remains.
>>
File: luzstation.jpg (1 MB, 3009x2261) Image search: [Google]
luzstation.jpg
1 MB, 3009x2261
This is Luz Station, a station influenced by victorian architecture constroyed by Mauá baron, an important brazilian industrial man. It is one of the biggest stations of my city.Currentl, part of it was burned in a fire days ago.
>>
My dad's home town lynched a nigger once.
>>
File: bm.jpg (4 MB, 4240x2816) Image search: [Google]
bm.jpg
4 MB, 4240x2816
Funny how the opinion of this man has changed during history.
>>
File: image.jpg (460 KB, 2620x1494) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
460 KB, 2620x1494
I live in the valley where oil was majorly capitalized on, the first success oil derrick is probably 15 minutes down the road from me
>>
File: Georgia_Guidestones-lowres.jpg (38 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Georgia_Guidestones-lowres.jpg
38 KB, 400x300
My state, Georgia, has these doomsday rocks that were commissioned anonymously in 1979 and completed in 1980. They detail the specifics of a New World Order, such as there being a population cap of 500 million after a worldwide genocide to stop overpopulation. People vandalize them all the time, but for whatever reason the local government continues to protect them and clean them up.
>>
File: skerryvore2.jpg (312 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
skerryvore2.jpg
312 KB, 640x480
>>
>>466756
They were just a front to smuggle cocain across the country.
That being said it's a disgrace and should be removed
>>
File: odhamspressbuilding.jpg (222 KB, 692x447) Image search: [Google]
odhamspressbuilding.jpg
222 KB, 692x447
>Watford

Watford was just a town outside London that sprung up in the 1900s over the printing press industry but at least we have a few nice modernist buildings like pic related: the Odhams Press Building. They used to print old comic books there
>>
PROTIP:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Nearby
>>
>>466875

My grandfather and grandmother were air raid wardens in Watford during the Blitz. They lived at 59 Devon Road.
>>
>>466889

my grandparents moved there after the war into one of the new council estates in north Watford

>inb4 workign class scum

Watford is actually a pretty cozy place though, during the war all the printing presses were taken over by the government and used to print propaganda
>>
File: carcassonne2.jpg (413 KB, 758x405) Image search: [Google]
carcassonne2.jpg
413 KB, 758x405
I hereby proclaim my status as master of /his/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cit%C3%A9_de_Carcassonne
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>467096
Nooooice.

>>465931
Across the road from me is a neolithic portal tomb, that was apparently used by Diarmad and Gráinne for shelter (nothing special as every shithole has the same story)

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pursuit_of_Diarmuid_and_Gr%C3%A1inne

Within walking distance are about 20 ringforts, 3 ofwhich are in good enough condition that the souterrains are still intact and you can go inside.

There are about 4 medieval tower houses (we call them castles but they aren't really.

there are 2 martello towers.

Fuckloads of mass famine graves as it's the only place with deep soil for miles around. It's supposedly one of the most haunted towns in Ireland.

There are three or 4 holy wells, which most likely date to pre-christian shrines.

a Norman church

fuckloads of protestant big houses and famine workhouses.

Fuckloads of Cillíns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cill%C3%ADn
fairy forts and fairy trees

One of the castles is a Renaissance era home of the Aidhne/Ua Seabhac na hEasaigh family. This is built upon the ruins of Guaire Aidhne's own home, and is like 50 meters from a norman era castle, all of which bear the same name, "Dún Guaire"

Guaire was the king of Connacht in the 7th century and is a prominent figure in the historical cycle/cycle of the kings from Irishmythology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaire_Aidne_mac_Colm%C3%A1in

His clan, Uí Fiacrach Aidhne, were the chiefs of this Tuath, septs of the Fiachrach Aidhne include the O' Shaughnasseys (Ó Seachnasaigh) O'Cleary (Ó Cléirigh) Cahill (Ó Cahill) and Hynes (Ó hEidhin)

The Saint Coleman is contemporary with Guaire and was bishop of the diocese over which Guaire reigned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colman_mac_Duagh

There's more but I don't have time to get into it.

Up Galway.
>>
>>467096
My family is actually from there. They lived there in the 17th century before their move to north America.
>>
>>467250
Nice

The French article for Carcassonne is more in-depth on its history than the English one, I suggest reading it
>>
I live reasonably close to pic related so yeah, I guess. I haven't gone there in over ten years, though, I should really pay the place a visit soon.
>>
File: newyorkcity.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1063) Image search: [Google]
newyorkcity.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1063
I'm living in the Middle Ages
>>
File: knockinaam.jpg (81 KB, 1100x500) Image search: [Google]
knockinaam.jpg
81 KB, 1100x500
Bump with another historical place from Scotland:

Knockinaam Lodge in Portpatrick, a luxury retreat where Eisenhower and Churchill met to discuss D-Day plans.
>>
>>466666

These fugging digits
>>
File: waldau.jpg (73 KB, 510x330) Image search: [Google]
waldau.jpg
73 KB, 510x330
>>466027
>>466032
>>466033
>>466642
>>465931
This stuff is pretty awesome

Only cool thing near me is this medival ruin.
>>
File: Paazzo Madama.jpg (62 KB, 550x365) Image search: [Google]
Paazzo Madama.jpg
62 KB, 550x365
Palazzo Madama, from my hometown of Turin. Its development sort of covers a good chunk of the history of the city.

The back (the one with the more medieval-looking towers) started off as a gate to an ancient Roman fort (most of the heart of the city still keeps the basic square shape of said fort), but was apparently quickly reconverted into a makeshift fortification after the fall of the Empire. From there it sort of passed under the control of a couple different families until it finally fell into possession of the Savoia in the 14th century, who apparently remade it into a proper castle. The front of the castle was later remodeled into looking more like a proper palace around the 17th century, after the Savoia built their own Royal Palace and decided to turn the old castle into a sort of architectural money-sink...

Apparently underneath that plaza is supposed to be filled with old escape tunnels, also built by the Savoia, leading from the nearby Royal Palace to the outskirts of the city...
>>
I live in Arnhem so uh

enough said
>>
>>470435
Arnhem in the Netherlands or Arnhem in Australia?
>>
>>466666
Checked.
>>
My town has a weirdly well-done bust of a Scottish poet I've never heard of standing at the ruins

>"The wind blew as it 'twad blawn its last;
>The rattling showers bore on the blast:
>The speedy gleams the darkness swallowed,
>Loud, deep, and lang the thunder bellowed;
>That night, a child might understand,
>The Deil had business on his hand."

Eh, s'alright
>>
File: Cross Shaft (1).jpg (52 KB, 315x420) Image search: [Google]
Cross Shaft (1).jpg
52 KB, 315x420
northern Ireland here

Our village has the remnants of a medieval High Cross that was mostly torn apart for stone to build an Orange Hall
>>
>>469984

I lived in Dumfries and Galloway for half my life and actually had no idea about this
>>
>>470618

>not having heard of Robert Burns

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

>>470624

>medieval high cross
>torn apart for an Orange Hall
>Orange Hall

FUCKING PRODS! REEEEEEEEEE!
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.