[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the strongest man in recorded history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9
Who is the strongest man in recorded history?
>>
my dad
>>
>>460989

I worked with an Indian once. . . .
>>
Mark Rippetoe
>>
considering the improvements in nutritional science and availability and exercise science and availability probably someone alive right now...Eddie Hall or some shit. Strong is a bit ambiguous tho strongest at lifting heavy shit? strongest in a fight? strongest in a survival situation. etc etc
>>
>>460989
Mariusz Pudzianowski has won the World's Strongest Man competition a total of 5 times, followed by Žydrūnas Savickas, Magnús Ver Magnússon and Jón Páll Sigmarsson, each with a total of 4 victories. The current reigning champion is Brian Shaw, but he has 'only' won three times.

That's a general measurement of strength, you can look up the current heaviest squats, benches, OHPs, deadlifts etc in the world if you'd like. The strongest men are alive today, so there's no need to search historical records.
>>
File: mark-rippetoe.jpg (183 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
mark-rippetoe.jpg
183 KB, 640x360
>>461001

this desu senpai

pictured, Mark Rippetoe with the second strongest man alive, Roger Estep
>>
File: mark-rippetoe2.jpg (100 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
mark-rippetoe2.jpg
100 KB, 600x480
>>461106
>burger midget
>strong

every eastern european kid with 3 years of weight lifting could make this pigfucker his fuccboi
>>
File: images (7).jpg (10 KB, 213x236) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
10 KB, 213x236
>>461123

Don't think so pal!

They haven't even got protein past the iron curtain, all they eat is fucking GRAIN AND MUTATED HUMAN FECES
>>
Angus McAllister
>>
File: klokov.jpg (55 KB, 497x500) Image search: [Google]
klokov.jpg
55 KB, 497x500
>>461140
these burgers, when will they learn
>>
File: 4a8259427562956.jpg (40 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
4a8259427562956.jpg
40 KB, 600x450
>>461007
He wants to deadlift 500kg.
>>
>>461140
that's not rippeltits
>>
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-heaviest-weight-ever-lifted-by-a-human-being
>>
>>460994
My son
>>
>>460989
me
>>
>>461081
>Jón Páll Sigmarsson
>Magnús Ver Magnússon

Why are so many nordic-types strong men? Like, just by looking at their names, I'm guessing that they're Icelandic. Am I right? What gives that so many of them are like that?
>>
>>461487
Iceland has a long history of strongman culture and they have a fairly large subculture of those guys nowadays, same with a lot of the Eastern Europe countries.
>>
File: Milo_of_Croton.jpg (140 KB, 800x1119) Image search: [Google]
Milo_of_Croton.jpg
140 KB, 800x1119
Milo of Croton
>>
>>460989
Milo of Croatia, obviously
>>
>>461534
Croron*. Also looks like someone beat me to it.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_MacAskill

This nigga could pick up horses and shit, allegedly.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Cyr

This dude. He was inspired by Milo of Croton to carry around an ox calf which would grow, therefore progressive overload. Plus backlifted nearly 2 tonnes.
>>
With modern diets and world population (also steroids), it's probably someone alive today.
>>
>>461487
People from Iceland tend to be very tall and robust, which is what you want to compete in Strongman. Also, it's a fairly well off nation, so people have enough financial tolerance for leisure to lift shit as recreation.
>>
>>461081

>The strongest men are alive today, so there's no need to search historical records.

Not necessarily. There were some genetic abberations who were walking around long before Mariusz was born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Anderson_(weightlifter)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_MacAskill
>>
Probably this guy, there's gotta be someone to give credit for delaying the Anglos.

>The English advance was then delayed by the need to pass through the choke-point presented by the bridge. A later folk story has it that a giant Norse axeman (possibly armed with a Dane Axe) blocked the narrow crossing, and single-handedly held up the entire English army. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle states that this axeman cut down up to 40 Englishmen. He was only defeated when an English soldier floated under the bridge in a half-barrel and thrust his spear through the laths in the bridge, mortally wounding the axeman
>>
>>461608
OP asked for people in recorded history, the modern lifts have all been confirmed while people who lived long ago can have legends based on hearsay. Paul Anderson's wiki page event states:
>Lift included in the Guinness Book of World Records This record has been expunged due to no official witness being present, and no evidence of the weight's measurement. (Source: "Guinness Book of World Records".)
>Backlift: 6,270 lb (2,840 kg) (weight raised slightly off trestles; done June 12, 1957, in Toccoa, Georgia)[1]
>listed as the greatest weight ever lifted by a human being[1]

His best deadlift (according to him, confirmed by no one) was 370kg raw while the modern raw record is closer to 460kg if I'm not mistaken.

>>461007 is on the money here - logically speaking the strongest men will all be alive today due to improvements in nutrition, medicine, PEDs and so on.
>>
File: full_418965.jpg (23 KB, 320x290) Image search: [Google]
full_418965.jpg
23 KB, 320x290
>>461625
>we wuz warriors and sheet
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.