[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Peloponnesian War. Was it the first war fought for no good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Thucydides_pushkin02.jpg (849 KB, 860x1283) Image search: [Google]
Thucydides_pushkin02.jpg
849 KB, 860x1283
The Peloponnesian War.

Was it the first war fought for no good reason at all?
>>
There was good reason.
>>
>>458900

Athena was too strong and Sparta was afraid? That's a good one, yeah.
>>
>>458918
Yes it is.
>>
>>458928

Let's look at the outcome:

Both side lay in ruins.
Democracy is lost.
Ionia returns to the Persians.
Lost opportunity of Greek unity
Greece would never be relevant in world history again.

Wow.
>>
>>458942
Intents =/= results
Not that I disagree with you. It was hegemonic dick waving all the way.
>>
>>458942
I never said the results were good.
>>
>>458942
So Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Alexander, Euclid, etcetera are all irrelevant?
>>
>>458962

Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle proliferated on the peace and prosperity BEFORE the war in question.
>>
>>458962

Alexander was a cool guy but he was from Macedon, a bit far away in time and space from the war
>>
>>458975
Are you stoopid?
>>458977
He was still a Greek, don't listen to Demosthenes propaganda. And the guy said that Greece was irrelevant after the pelloponesian war, which is wrong.
>>
>>458987
"Macedonians literally aren't Greeks."
-Ancient Greeks

I think I'll take their word for it.
>>
>>458993
Great source my man.

http://www.cc.ece.ntua.gr/~conster/English/PageData/anc_historiographers.htm

But anyway, it's still wrong to say that Aristotle proliferated before the War started, when he hadn't even been bloody born yet.
>>
>>458987

It was irrelevant until out of nowhere came Alexander and saved the shit.

That said, things could have been better if the war didn't happen.
>>
>>459019
Irrelevant in what eay? Are you only counting war and conquest as relevant? Is philosophy not important in history?
>>
>>459024

Well. Socrates, not even the father of philosophy, started doing his thing while the war was going.

I doubt Athens could have started it all from scratch after the war.
>>
>>459033
Greece was still not irrelevant. Plato and Aristotle's systems laid the foundations for Philosophy and Science for years after, hardly irrelevant.
>>
>>459044

Ok, I guess it was not totally irrelevant. But it still laid in ruins after the war, not a nice outcome.

Sparta should have been all like "It all cool Athens, we brothers, we kicked ass in the last war, good times"
>>
>>459073
>Sparta should have been all
spartans were literally on an ideological opposite in terms of how people should be governed to athens

that would never happen
>>
>>459321

let's say that you are USA and China grows too powerful.
Would it be Ok to go to war for that reason alone?
>>
>Was it the first war fought for no good reason at all?
Lol. Xerxes' pride = source of greek war.
>>
>>459332
Source of Persian war, sorry.
>>
>>459332

good point
>>
>>458942
>Greece would never be relevant in world history again.
I didn't know one thousand years of the Greek ERE buffering Europe from the Muslims is irrelevant.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.