[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever presented a decent argument against this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
Has anyone ever presented a decent argument against this?
>>
No, hes right. People should work 24/7, spending time to reflect on your life and appreciate your existence is meaningless
>>
>>458589
This. I could be earning money in that time, fuck worshipping some made up shit.
>>
>>458583
Sleeping is an even bigger waste of time.
>>
>>458583
>Just in terms of allocation of time resources, charity is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.
>>
Religion has also been essential towards the development of arts and science. Not to mention a source of inspiration.
>>
>>458583
>"I'd rather do something else rather than pray, like making money lol" t. Bill Gates
>WOW CHRISTIANS BTFO POPE ON SUICIDE WATCH
ok
>>
>>458583
If it keeps you sane and working harder (Protestantism) than it is actually MORE efficient
>>
I'm not Christian, but if Christianity is correct, and going/not going to church every Sunday would be the difference between ending up in heaven or hell, then that sounds like a reasonable investment of time to me.

The time investment depends on if you believe it what the church says, or you die believing that you did a good thing or not.
>>
>>458609
This is a pitifully weak strawman. Charity is inherently good (let's set aside arguments against charity for now) whereas religion is only valuable of it is fulfilling to its followers. Gates obviously has nothing to gain from attending church but he does make the world better via charity.
>>
Frontline infantry wouldn't exist for only 17,000 usd annually without religion. Can you pay them more, bill gates?
>>
>>458583
It's called long term investments, without something to create a sense of community, your fellow man will end up doing stupid things, such as cheering on a pillaging horde of Jihadi invaders.
>>
>>458628
>Charity is inherently good

Nope. Charity has caused many problems across the Third World despite people's better intentions. Just like Religion. In fact if you want to make that argument that charity is a good thing religious organizations are some of the biggest contributors to charity.

>Gates obviously has nothing to gain from attending church

Unless you personally know Bill Gates it's pretty hard to say this with any certainty.
>>
>>458589
Except church's are not about reflection. They are about singing stupid songs, being a captive audience to a speaker who uses bible quotes to justify his personal beleifs, ritual cannibilism, and pretending that everything you did wrong is forgiven.
>>
>>458583
Isn't he a Catholic?
>>
>>460097
kek he is

>>458583
http://www.christianpost.com/news/bill-gates-reveals-family-goes-to-catholic-church-it-makes-sense-to-believe-in-god-116166/
>>
>>458971
Tips motherfucking fedora
>>
>>458637
What?
>>
>>458679
>Charity has caused many problems across the Third World
Explain
>>
>>460118
>Christianpost.com

Maybe you could use a credible site. Just maybe.
>>
>>460135
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/bill-gates-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140313?page=5

He says in this interview that "It makes sense to believe in God" and that he takes his children to Catholic church.
>>
>>460148
>Melinda is Catholic, goes to church and wants to raise Jennifer that way. "But she offered me a deal," Gates says. "If I start going to church--my family was Congregationalist--then Jennifer could be raised in whatever religion I choose." Gates admits that he is tempted, because he would prefer she have a religion that "has less theology and all" than Catholicism, but he has not yet taken up the offer. "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient," he explains. "There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."

What a cuck
>>
>>460130
Sorry for no sources but there are bad long-term effects to charity done without careful consideration.

Besides the whole "muh dependency on handouts" thing, a lot of charity events are publicity stunts or benefit the giver more than the recipient. For instance, a group of rich kids fly out to Africa to build an orphanage. A building is created. The kids fly away and pat themselves on the back for doing good. The town doesn't need an orphanage and nobody is really in charge of it. The building then falls into disrepair and is used for punks to do drugs and shit.

And even worse is the fact that orphanages and stuff like that get western funding and rich people trying to "save the world" visiting all the time, so parents just send their kids to live at the orphanage for a while and basically create an even bigger need for orphanages filled with kids a lot of whom probably see their parents a lot anyway.

Sending foreign workers in needlessly for projects is harmful for whatever region because it cheapens local labor.

And stuff like Kony 2012 exists because shitheads who don't know anything try to raise money without even knowing how they could even use it to change anything.
>>
>>458604
What is the benefit of sleep?
>>
where in the bible does it say "go to church"?

you should spend your sunday with your family and giving alms to the poor, fuck going to church
>>
>>458604
you would die without sleep

you wouldnt die without religion
>>
>>460455
The repair and rejuvenation of your body and mind.

You'll go insane without sleep.
>>
>>458583
I put more value in it than he does apparently, and comparatively less value on money.
>>
>>458627
you don't go to church to avoid going to hell
Jesus never gave a shit about that.

you go to church to be part of the Christian community, like a little village, and contemplate life and faith.
>>
>>460154
>compromising with your S/O is being a cuck
>le cuk maymay I posted it again look mom!
Drown yourself.
>>
>>458589
Religious service is rarely about personal reflection
>>
File: 1445802928645.jpg (57 KB, 638x478) Image search: [Google]
1445802928645.jpg
57 KB, 638x478
>>458583

What you consider an efficient usage of time is subjective. Personal benefit can be guaged in many ways, so it all depends on how much of it you derive from going to a service as opposed to getting in an hour of work.
>>
>>458589
>not being able to reflect on your life and get chores done, or personal projects done

You must have a shitty life.
>>
>>458583
If you feel that you're unsuccessful in life because you're in church one hour a week(let's say that 2 hours, because you need to dress nicely, get to the church etc.), then you're just looking for excuses.

And I'm not even religious.
>>
>>460457
Remember the Sabbath day, and keep it holy -Exodus 20:8-11
>>
>>458583
>ITT:sixteen year old atheists who can do nothing but circle jerk each other on the internet.

And this is why I'd rather hang out with fucking mormons than my fellow non-believers.

>>458583
It's also not any better than shitposting on the internet like you just did.
>>
>>460461
Can confirm, have narcolepsy and always tired. I'd rather be a quadropalegic than have narcolepsy.
>>
>>458583
>I have a lot of money and an easy life, so it is my duty to look down my nose at the lower classes. Also, Catholic Church makes me feel bad that I am not doing something more benevolent with my vast wealth -t. Bill Gades
>>
>>462465
>implying Bill Gates didn't spend his money on malaria while the fisheaters were spending it on out of court settlements for sexual abuse
>>
What exactly can he do with a few more hours on Sunday? Make Windows suck even harder?
>>
>>460154
>with less theology and all
What, but that's the fun part of religion
>>
>>460458
Agree with your point but you actually can't die from sleep deprivation. That's a myth. Eventually, you just pass out
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.