[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Diogenes of Sinope the first shitposter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: Waterhouse-Diogenes.jpg (232 KB, 834x1285) Image search: [Google]
Waterhouse-Diogenes.jpg
232 KB, 834x1285
Was Diogenes of Sinope the first shitposter?
>>
>>458310
Yes.
>>
I just realized how much of a cynic I am.
>>
>Being asked where in Greece he saw good men, he replied, "'Good men nowhere, but good boys at Sparta."
Yes, yes he was.
>>
>>458310
Not sure about shitposting but he had bantz

>It was in Corinth that a meeting between Alexander the Great and Diogenes is supposed to have taken place. The accounts of Plutarch and Diogenes Laërtius recount that they exchanged only a few words: while Diogenes was relaxing in the sunlight in the morning, Alexander, thrilled to meet the famous philosopher, asked if there was any favour he might do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes, stand out of my sunlight". Alexander then declared, "If I were not Alexander, then I should wish to be Diogenes." In another account of the conversation, Alexander found the philosopher looking attentively at a pile of human bones. Diogenes explained, "I am searching for the bones of your father but cannot distinguish them from those of a slave."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope#Diogenes_and_Alexander
>>
the proto-ironic shitposter
>>
>>459408

>Diogenes suntan

>it's a silhouette of Alexander
>>
>When some one reminded him that the people of Sinope had sentenced him to exile, he said, "And I sentenced them to stay at home."

Fucking Savage
>>
>>458310

He had some meaningful things to say though.
>>
>>458999
>trips of truth
/thread
>>
>>458310
>When Plato gave Socrates's definition of man as "featherless bipeds" and was much praised for the definition, Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man." After this incident, "with broad flat nails" was added to Plato's definition.

Absolutely.
>>
I wonder what Diogenes would think about being revered by a bunch of shitheels on a Tibetan cross stitching forum for the sole merit of his one liners, while the writings of Plato survived to be read in the modern era.
>>
>>459925
Diogenes is absolute madman!!
>>
>>459964
He was a cynic so he probably wouldnt have cared.
>>
File: image.png (246 KB, 391x327) Image search: [Google]
image.png
246 KB, 391x327
>tfw you will never have the balls to live Ina barell and masterbate in the middle of a marketplace
>>
>According to a story which seems to have originated with Menippus of Gadara, Diogenes was captured by pirates while on voyage to Aegina and sold as a slave in Crete to a Corinthian named Xeniades. Being asked his trade, he replied that he knew no trade but that of governing men, and that he wished to be sold to a man who needed a master...Xeniades liked his spirit and hired Diogenes to tutor his children.

>A report that Philip II of Macedon was marching on the town had thrown all Corinth into a bustle; one was furbishing his arms, another wheeling stones, a third patching the wall, a fourth strengthening a battlement, every one making himself useful somehow or other. Diogenes having nothing to do – of course no one thought of giving him a job – was moved by the sight to gather up his philosopher's cloak and begin rolling his tub energetically up and down the Craneum; an acquaintance asked for, and got, the explanation: "I do not want to be thought the only idler in such a busy multitude; I am rolling my tub to be like the rest."

>Diogenes is said to have eaten in the marketplace, urinated on some people who insulted him, defecated in the theatre, and masturbated in public. When asked about his eating in public he said, "If taking breakfast is nothing out of place, then it is nothing out of place in the marketplace. But taking breakfast is nothing out of place, therefore it is nothing out of place to take breakfast in the marketplace." On the indecency of him masturbating in public he would say, "If only it were as easy to banish hunger by rubbing my belly."

But truly, if I were not Anon, I would be Diogenes
>>
Seth Rogan movie about Diogenes when
>>
How did they view him? Was he funny crazy or terrifying crazy or a clown or a serious philosopher or an autist who annoyed people?
>>
>>459399
I think he meant it literally.
>>
>>460401
Stoicism is an offshoot of cynicism.

He was unorthodox but his teachings did take root.
>>
>>459992
He also shat on the theater and pissed on people that annoyed him.
>>
>>460391
Fucking never if we are lucky
>>
>>459964

He'd probably be happy his name is still remembered, and is awaiting our arrival in shitposting heaven to test out his stuff.
>>
>>460006
>Diogenes is said to have eaten in the marketplace, urinated on some people who insulted him, defecated in the theatre, and masturbated in public.
So... Why wasn't he arrested? Did no one care?
>>
>>461430
Can you imagine staring into the face of a man who gave such few fucks?

You'd probably just shrug.
>>
>>459977

Cynics just pretend not to care, in reality they care more than anyone else.
>>
>Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing to the cups on the table before him, said “While there are many cups in the world, there is only one ‘idea’ of a cup, and this cupness precedes the existence of all particular cups.”

>“I can see the cup on the table,” interupted Diogenes, “but I can’t see the ‘cupness.'”

>“That’s because you have the eyes to see the cup,” said Plato, “but”, tapping his head with his forefinger, “you don’t have the intellect with which to comprehend ‘cupness’.”

>Diogenes walked up to the table, examined a cup and, looking inside, asked, “Is it empty?”

>Plato nodded.

>“Where is the ’emptiness’ which precedes this empty cup?” asked Diogenes.

>Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato’s head with his finger, said “I think you will find here is the ’emptiness’.”
>>
>>462020
I'm not really arguing against this claim, but I'm curious as to why you say this?
>>
>>462038

What a fucking savage.
>>
>>462046
Because I care
>>
>>458310

More like the first Übermensch
>>
>>459460
how?
>>
>>459408
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_and_Alexander#The_original_anecdote
>Lynch points out the problem that Alexander did not have the title given to him until after he had left Greece, and considers this enough of a problem with the anecdote such that it (alongside the notion that Diogenes lived in a barrel) should be "banish[ed …] from the domain of history".
>A. M. Pizzagalli suggests that the account has its origins in the meeting between Alexander and the Gymnosophists in India, and was handed down in Buddhist circles.[3][16]

Not discounting Diogenes's existence but that specific incident probably is a later attribution and could be a case of mistaken identity.
>>
File: 1449194310459.webm (3 MB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
1449194310459.webm
3 MB, 1280x544
>>462038

Plato getting BTFO, goddamn I wish I could have been there
>>
I wish to experience true freedom as well, but I would get arrested and placed in a mental asylum probably.

How I long for the past.
>>
>>462206

You have to play the game a little before you can do that, that's the shit hand we're dealt currently. You have to be able to buy land of your own, then you can live in peace away from others, you can't just be a homeless guy on the street fucking with people, or a vagrant, or hide out in a national park or something and not expect to not get arrested.
>>
that he was. I think he's one of the few figures all of /his/ like
>>
>>458310
Diogenes is the personification of the spirit of this board.
>>
>>462172
>Gymnosophists
Yea this, apparently they were the origin of cynicism or at least a prototype of it.
>>
File: 1410915398144.jpg (120 KB, 1102x967) Image search: [Google]
1410915398144.jpg
120 KB, 1102x967
>>462117
>>
>>461000
Most of the well read people on here who shitpost will be a step above in intelligence and wit that Diogenes i reckon purely due to exposure to many points of reference and education that provide a wider understanding of the world.
>>
Diogenes is /his/ personified
>>
>>459399
>spartans dindu nuffin
>>
File: 1448245238361.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1322) Image search: [Google]
1448245238361.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1322
>>
File: 5b2Slg3.jpg (93 KB, 616x800) Image search: [Google]
5b2Slg3.jpg
93 KB, 616x800
>>462377
That's funny, from what I'm getting - by today's standards he would qualify for being either a homeless reject, prison inmate, or mental asylum occupant. I also wonder, if he was born in a wealthy family in the 80-90s era, would he choose to be a NEET or something?
>>
>>462358
I thought he was talking about pederasty.
>>
I saw couple of his statues in turkey he seems to be pretty well known in sinop.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.