[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
military theorist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Portraits.jpg (48 KB, 434x236) Image search: [Google]
Portraits.jpg
48 KB, 434x236
Who does /his/ think is better?

The West Clausewitz or the East Sun Tzu?

personally ive read all of Sun Tzu's Art of War but Calusewitz's On War seems to be the better book? Thoughts?

interesting article to go along with it
http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/158123
>>
>>591411
Sun Tzu's teachings are very general guidelines. They're fundamentals you absolutely need to know if you have to even be near a command position but they're just guidelines. Also, some of it needs some conceptualization to be transposed into modern situations, particularly his teachings about supplies, intelligence, and the politics behind war.

Clausewitz on the other hand is more recent and introduces major points of modern military science like the fog of war or the idea that war is nothing but an extension of politics.

Both are classics and need to be read, but if I absolutely had to choose one at gunpoint, I'd pick Sun Tzu for his more universal character. Just be sure not to take every single word at face value, shit gets almost esoteric at times.
>>
>>594048

This. Sun Tzu keeps it very simple, and just about everyone can follow his tactics, from an American general to a Boko Haram warlord
>>
>>594054
Its actually surprising how many modern commanders do not follow his simple guidelines.
>>
File: 1452986737489.png (61 KB, 627x620) Image search: [Google]
1452986737489.png
61 KB, 627x620
>>594048
>>594090
>>594054
>simple guidelines

WHEN THERE ARE THREE STATES BORDERING IN THE MIDDLE THIS IS CROSSROAD GROUND

HE WHO CONTROL CROSSROAD GROUND CONTROL CHINA

*gong*
>>
>>594090
The average officer is more skilled in administrative and human resssources matters than in tactics, and actually spends more time managing his unit and doing paperwork than commanding them into batttle. That comes with professionnal armies.
>>
>>591411
The Prince owned those both in political study.
>>
File: Watch the Backblast Idiot.jpg (149 KB, 879x1200) Image search: [Google]
Watch the Backblast Idiot.jpg
149 KB, 879x1200
>>594048
>that war is nothing but an extension of politics.
Sun Tzu touched this as well in the last chapter

"War is a matter of life and death of a state" and all that.
>>
>>594098
There was no China when Sun Tzu was around, funnily enough.
>>
Sun Tsu is like a diet coach who says dont eat as much, occasionally go for a job... but not when its icy, etc.

I mean thanks but thats sort of obvious.
>>
>>591411

It's beginner vs advanced level.
>>
Sun Tzu was writing during the bronze age, people we only just beginning to figure out how large armies work. Calusewitz would have had about 2000 years of military advancements, so it's only natural that he's much more detailed.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.