[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After reading Plutarch, I have come to the conclusion that the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: catonn_de_utica.jpg (136 KB, 914x700) Image search: [Google]
catonn_de_utica.jpg
136 KB, 914x700
After reading Plutarch, I have come to the conclusion that the real heroes of Rome were men like Cato, Cicero or Brutus. Specially Cato.

What a great man!
>>
Sarcasm is a greek perversion.
>>
File: augustus_primaporta.jpg (55 KB, 474x650) Image search: [Google]
augustus_primaporta.jpg
55 KB, 474x650
>MUH REPUBLIC
Republic has been dead for decades, Gracchii killed it, principiate was the only way out.
>>
Augustus Caesar > Julius Caesar = Cicero > all other Roman politicians
>>
Cato the Younger was pretty based, so was the Elder, calling out Scipio on his shit
>>
Brutus was a dipshit who shouldn't have spared Antony

Real heroes of Rome are people like Cincinnatus
>>
>>457128
>Real heroes of Rome are people like Cincinnatus
Real heroes of USA are people like Superman
>>
>>457128
That's not how you spell Sulla
>>
>>457119
>Augustus Caesar
He something because Caesar want it. By itself was nothing. NOTHING.

Caesar was a butcherer, like Pompeii. They did not respect the Republic, not for their "ideals", it was a matter of power and arrogance.

Cicero, it's true, was an hypocrital.
>>
>>457139
You're right. The Avengers are closer to being real heroes than anyone alive in America today.
>>
>>457147
They are as real as Cincinnatus.
>>
File: bad_taxidemy_8.jpg (38 KB, 586x579) Image search: [Google]
bad_taxidemy_8.jpg
38 KB, 586x579
>not augustus
>my mosaics when
>>
>>457146
Augustus lead the Empire during its most prosperous period. Discounting him because he inherited his position is stupid, especially when he had to fight to keep the throne.
The Republic was corrupt anyway. Caesar did a good thing. The Empire was a more sustainable and realistic model; in the East, it continues for 1500 years after Caesar's death. the Republic hadn't been around that long.
>>
MILITIADES DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
File: Sulla.png (267 KB, 1485x780) Image search: [Google]
Sulla.png
267 KB, 1485x780
>>457143
Can't Killa the Sulla
>>
>>457162

>Sustainable and realistic

So you know how was the history of Rome in a parallel universe were the Republic existed after Caesar, and you can tell it could not be "prosperous". He had to fight...yes, with all the money and the loyalty of his "father" armies. By itself he was nothing, he didn't know about the real world, he was a teen with armies and money. He never was cuestor, tribunate, etc. He only knew the power of autocracy. Being "Consul" since he entered into politics it's not knowing shit about real world.

Oh yes, I can count with two hands all the "good" emperors in 500 years.
>>
Caesar did nothing wrong
Cato gets respect because he really did stick to his ideals till the end, and went out like a pro.

Augustus < Julius for the simple fact that Julius started from nearly nothing, worked by himself to the top, did both the politics and the military command. Caesar's greatest mistake was that he was too forgiving, and not considerate of the senate. Augustus' greatest mistake was the Judo-Claudian dynasty, beyond Claudius.
>>
>>457184
*tips fasces*
>>
>>457184
100 years after Augustus were better than 100 years before Augustus, that's for sure.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.