[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was so bad about this guy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7
What was so bad about this guy?
>>
He was really bad in the third season of House of Cards
>>
>>454657
He got caught.
>>
>>454657
watergate
>>
>>454661
That's Lyndon Johnson.
>>
>>454663
Can any Amerifriends give me a tl;dr about Watergate?
What about the rest of his presidency, and his policies?
>>
>>454682
He had some Cuban CIA mercenaries spy on the Democrat campaign. Nowadays there's the NSA for that.

He was the ultimate most hated boogeyman for liberals at the time. His policies were conservative-statist and would be considered communism nowadays. He was probably also the last president who exercised power himself instead of being an actor following the directions of his handlers.
>>
>>454697
>He was probably also the last president who exercised power himself instead of being an actor following the directions of his handlers.
What about Reagan?
>>
File: benstein.jpg (40 KB, 285x314) Image search: [Google]
benstein.jpg
40 KB, 285x314
Can anyone even remember now what Nixon did that was so terrible? Anyone?

He ended the war in Vietnam, brought home the POWs, ended the war in the Mideast, opened relations with China, started the first nuclear weapons reduction treaty, saved Eretz Israel's life, started the Environmental Protection Administration. Does anyone remember what he did that was bad?

Oh, now I remember. He lied. He was a politician who lied. How remarkable. He lied to protect his subordinates who were covering up a ridiculous burglary that no one to this date has any clue about its purpose. He lied so he could stay in office and keep his agenda of peace going. That was his crime. He was a peacemaker and he wanted to make a world where there was a generation of peace. And he succeeded.

That is his legacy. He was a peacemaker. He was a lying, conniving, covering up peacemaker. He was not a lying, conniving drug addict like JFK, a lying, conniving war starter like LBJ, a lying, conniving seducer like Clinton—a lying, conniving peacemaker.
>>
>>454709
Reagan was the least hands on president we have ever had. his administration was run by Bill Casey, Kissinger and his aides, George Shultz and a few other shadowy plutocrats.
>>
>>454710

>Can anyone even remember now what Nixon did that was so terrible? Anyone?

The neocons had plenty of reasons to hate him and Kissinger, most of them having to do with them being too pragmatic towards the Soviets and the Chinese
>>
>>454709
Reagan was literally an actor lol. He just kept doing the same job he was doing before as corporate spokesman.
>>
>>454657
The war on drugs.
>>
He gave stinger missiles to the taliban in Afghanistan
>>
>>454657
He was to pre-occupied making lists of his enemies to actually govern effectively.
>>
>>454657
He was kind of an asshole, maybe slightly sociopathic. Definitely neurotic and made some bad decisions due to paranoia. If Watergate hadn't happened, things could've gotten real ugly, because Dick was starting to lose it. He was bad due to some personality instabilities, but it's a shame that he gets such a bad rap compared to a real scumbag like LBJ.
>>
>>454862
uwotm8
>>
>>454657
A great statesmen but an unpleasant person. Although it has to be said the main reason he was bitter and paranoid was because he was treated like shit by the liberal establishment and they really were all out to get him.

As for watergate - politics in those days was always that dirty. Kennedy probably only won his election because his daddy's money and mob connections got him the union votes.

Not that he didn't do plenty of bad things. If I remember correctly he was the first to let corporations turn health-insurance into a cash-cow, setting America up for the mess its presently in. He also sabotaged the Vietnam peace negotiations by promising the Vietnamese they would get better terms if he was in office, causing them to stall so Johnson couldn't get credit for winning the war (which lets face it when you get right down to it is treason)
>>
>>454810
There was to be some way imprison obvious criminals after Warren Court made it impossible for the police to do it's work and crime skyrocketed. Since most criminals use drugs, criminalizing them was a easy way to solve this problem, and it worked, crime has decreased from it's peak in the late 60s/early 70s.
>>
File: 1417496245848.png (246 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1417496245848.png
246 KB, 500x375
>>454657
>started the War in Vietnam
>ordered the Kent State Shooting
>ordered the slaughter of villagers in Vietnam and Cambodia
>rigged West German elections
>numerous enviromental crimes involving nuclear testing and nuclear power plants
>almost certainly spied on half the country in search of "communists"
>watergate

Do they teach nothing in school anymore?
>>
>>454990
>crime has decreased from it's peak in the late 60s/early 70s

Do you have a single statistic to back this up?

Incarceration rates are at an all time high.
>>
>>454990
How did that make it impossible for the police to police?
>>
>>454991
Literally why is everything on this board a bait
>>
>>454972
it was bait but the US stilled armed and supported Terrorists during the soviet invasion
>>
>>454999
>Do you have a single statistic to back this up?

Not him, but this is a pretty easy thing to prove.

We are a much safer country now. Weirdly enough some people say it was leaded gas that caused the violence outbreak.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2013/01/03/how-lead-caused-americas-violent-crime-epidemic/
>>
>>454682
Two Republicans broke into Watergate to steal Democrat campaign info. They got caught. Nixon had a toady cover it up. But said Toady bungled it.

So, Nixon appointed another Toady to "investigate".

But this Toady actually investigated. The FBI got wind of this, revealed Nixon's duplicity. It was investigated, for real, and Nixon got impeached. Impeachment does not mean removal from office, it just means criminal prosecution. Nixon stepped down in order to save face and not get charged with a crime.
>>
>>455015
The Mujahedeen weren't any more terrorist than the Founding Fathers to be honest.

Not even trying to defend Reagan, he was a cunt, but arming the resistance was not a wrong thing to do.
>>
>>454999
about five seconds with google could have told you that crime rates sky-rocketed from 1960 - 1980, remained steady for about a decade, then started to go down again from the early '90s onwards.

People bitch about mass incarceration and the drug war but the reason that shit got started in the first place was because crime had gotten out of control. Turns out prison really does work at reducing the crime rate.

It's just questionable how much of a victory that is when instead of having people's lives destroyed by acts of violence from criminals you've got people getting their lives destroyed by over-draconian prison sentences.
>>
>>455035
Dude most of American weapons, training and money was given to hekmatyars mujahideen, who is a terrorist, and could be argued to be more radical than the taliban. He also supported al Qaeda.
If American money and weapons ended up in the hands of moderates like Ahmed shah massoud, or abdul haq, who at the time of American support of the mujahideen, where even saying to Americans that hekmatyar is a fucking radical, I would completely agree with Americas support of the fighters, but Ahmed shahs Massouds mujahideen only received 8 stinger missiles.

There are pictures of American congressmen with one of afghanistan a most radical Islamists, this isn't a conspiracy theory this is history.
>>
>>455023
>Weirdly enough some people say it was leaded gas that caused the violence outbreak.

These people just want a excuse so they don't have to admit that the War on Drugs and mass incarceration worked.
>>
>>455078
I think the lead - violence correlation is pretty strong to warrant at least serious consideration, since the same pattern happened in other countries that had no serious drug problems to begin with.
>>
>>455058
This is true. Cold War politics were always sketchy. When you're contending for global hegemony, you'll always find a way to excuse the means to suit the ends. That being said, it could have been a LOT uglier. On both sides. We're lucky that hard-liners were mostly kept at bay by competent leadership, and that includes Reagan. He did plenty of public posturing, but he was not a mad man.
>>
>>455078

>le drug use causes crime meme
>>
He opened up relations with China.

This was a big fucking mistake.

He bombed the fuck out of the North Vietnamese and made them sit down for peace talks with the South.

This was victory in Vietnam. A democrat Congress later abandoned the South who were begging for material support, not men but just ammunition and supplies, after the North invaded again with the help of the Soviets and Chinese communists.

Fuck democrats, the spineless cretins have no honor.

He was also redpilled af.
>>
>>455044
I wouldn't say so. The drug craze really didn't kick off until the late 70s / early 80s with the crack epidemic and the flow of cheap Colombian cocaine to the US, the violence outbreak started earlier than that.

I'd agree with you that the drug war did indeed put some degree of drug related violence to end, but most of the violence in the 60s and 70s wasn't related to drugs.
>>
>>454710
>opened relations with China

A mistake, we see the folly of it today.
>>
>>455160

>A mistake, we see the folly of it today.

kek

Trade relations with China has been an overwhelming economic boon
>>
>>455173

>cheap consumer products, the outsourcing of manufacturing, massive debt, the abandonment of the gold standard, and the unchecked nature of fiat currency is an overwhelming economic boon

lol it's a bubble dude.
>>
>>455195
>abandonment of the gold standard

I love this meme. Why is abandoning the gold standard inherently bad?
>>
>>454709
he was just a senile old man who was taken advantage of by those around him
>>
>>455156
Where were you in the 60s and 70s?
>>
>>455220
In my dad's nutsack, until the mid 80s.
>>
Has there been a better president than Tricky Dick since he resigned?
>>
>>455156
>most of the violence in the 60s and 70s wasn't related to drugs.
I never said it was. I just said that the drug war was part of the reaction. In part, it came about because it was a lot easier to blame drugs than it was to take a hard look at the ideological failures of both liberals and conservative that had led to the high crime rate.
>>
>>455199

Cause it lasts longer than petroleum, and cause fiat currency is basically just the monetization of debt.
>>
>>455234
> I just said that the drug war was part of the reaction.
In that case you're probably right. There's also other things we should consider, like the crash of manufacturing industry in the 60s and 70s leading to poverty, shit and crime especially in the midwest.
>>
>>455225
Lol
(you said nutsack)
>>
>>455199
Because specie, specie, gold, silver, pyramid, silver silver, gold silver, inherent value, paper, specie, fiat currency, silver gold silver, constitution, eagle.
>>
>>455199
Tens of trillions of dollars of debt being seen as necessary and normal for a functioning and nominally growing American economy
>>
>>455259
Gold standard cannot eliminate debt crises, sorry to inform you.
>>
>>455242
>like the crash of manufacturing industry in the 60s and 70s leading to poverty
eh - I wouldn't say I know about the midwest specifically but overall in America manufacturing didn't start dropping off until the 80s. Also, some of the worst affected areas were places like New York, which wasn't really reliant on industry. There were economic troubles in the 70s, but the trend started back in the boom times of the early 60s. Overall, economic crashes don't really hold up as an overall explanation, although I'm not saying that they didn't have an effect when and where they occurred
>>
>>455306
I'm talking about place like Detroit, Cleveland or Pittsburgh. They went tits up in the 60s.
>>
>>455306
>Overall, economic crashes don't really hold up as an overall explanation
Not OVERALL explanation but a contributing factor.
>>
>>455316
>>455319
fair point. I just thought I'd clarify since there are always plenty of people ready to jump on economics as the root of crime trends.
>>
>>455340
>Why was Clinton impeached?
25 year rule.

Can't answer. Go ask on /pol/. Or somewhere like stackexchange
>>
>>454688
>Watergate, a quite irrelevant affair
>>
>>455340
He had sexual intercourse with an intern, which violates political ethics rules. Not necessarily a crime in and of itself, but when called to testify about it in front of congress, he lied, thus committing perjury, which is a crime.
>>
>>455362
Not that guy but honestly shit like Hillary's Benghazi fuckup was a trillion times worse than Watergate. Yet nobody gives a fuck.
>>
>>455355
fuck off that rule sucks.

>>455366
so it wasn't the affair, it was lying about the affair.. got it, thanks.
>>
>>455278
That's not what I meant.
>>
>>455426
I don't know what you meant then. Generally the arguments of gold bugs focus on the gold posessing an intristic value (not really) and the gold standard preventing financial collapses (really not really).
>>
>>455367

this

I feel as if there was innocence lost after nothing happened with the Iran-Contra deal.
>>
>>455441
>gold posessing an intristic value (not really)
I'm neither the guy you're replying to, nor a supporter of the gold standard. But, gold is very important for electronics.
>>
>>455487
Which is why the gold standard is stupid, either you tank the economy or you make electronics so prohibitively expensive that only Croesus Gates Slim can afford them.
>>
>>455521
As I said, I do not support the gold standard.
>>
>>455531
I know, I'm just saiyan.
>>
>>455417
Yeah. An affair would have never been able to be investigated by congress if it hadn't been someone who was technically working for the government. (Although on an internship.) That's obviously a conflict of interest and really shouldn't be tolerated from someone in public office. Lying about it gave Gingrich the ammo he needed to attempt a public crucifixion of his arch-nemesis. Was it worth going through the whole dog and pony show over something relatively trivial? Not really. But Clinton was a fucking moron for doing it in the first place and deserved to have his judgement scrutinized, at the very least.
>>
>>455566
I still find it incredibly funny Americans would have a court just to ask someone if they had sex with some woman.
>>
>>455521
>>455441
>>455487
>>455278
>>455259
>>455199
iirc, one of the main reasons for Nixon abandoming the gold standard (besides its previously stated problems) was the dollar crisis. Basically, Charles de Gaulle was (as usual) being a giant dickweed about the US dollar-gold system. The stated problem being that, in his view, for countries like France to obtain a hundred dollar bill, it had to pay that whole hundred dollars while it only took the US a few cents to print it. Since US dollars were exchangeable for gold, he sent the French Navy to the US to exchange all its reserves of US dollars for its equivalent value in gold. Several other nations joined him. This would have been a big blow to US in terms of losing much of it's economic influence abroad, since many US dollars would no longer be used international trade. To stop this from happening, the US dropped the gold standard so the exchange of USD for gold couldn't be made.
>>
File: 0221-birth-control-pill_at.jpg (60 KB, 298x373) Image search: [Google]
0221-birth-control-pill_at.jpg
60 KB, 298x373
>>455078
>These people just want a excuse so they don't have to admit that the War on Drugs and mass incarceration worked.

HA HA HA

pic extremely related
>>
>>455044
Correlation is not causation

Some people claim the drop in crime is tied to the legalization of abortion and the decline in unwanted children
>>
>>455478
The controversy seems to be that the administration knew the circumstances of the attack more than they let on at the time and mishandled the reaction, leading to the deaths of several people. While fucking up like that isn't necessarily illegal (or entirely their fault, depending on how you look at it), recent developments seem to show that the administration tried to spin the incident such that the truth wouldn't be revealed until after the election cycle ended.
>>
>>455607
amerilard here. that's the frustrating part.

>Reagan
>iran contra affair leads to executive office
>"Oliver North was a good boy he dindu nuffin!"
>fucking dropped
>Bush Sr.
>his buddy Noriega goes rogue
>use invasion as testing ground for new weaponry
>carpet bomb civilians
>bodies bulldozed into mass graves
https://youtu.be/Zo6yVNWcGCo?t=2407
>not even reported by US press
>Clinton
>fucks a woman
>OH MY GOD, HE'S THE ANTiCHRiST!
>lies about it
>HE HATES AMERICA! IMPEACHMENT TRIAL NAO!!!

i mean, couldn't they have at least found some war crimes from the Kosovo thing or something? there must have been some. but then i guess conservatives would have to admit that war is bad. nah, lets just focus on philandering and keep all that money flowing into weapons and military spending, don't rock the boat.
>>
>>454991
>started war in Vietnam

No he didn't, the french did, and Eisenhower pledged assistance to the French.

>ordered the slaughter of villagers in Vietnam and Cambodia

Orders of magnitude less than the Vietkong did, and Nixon did it to take on the Vietkong. Vietkong did it to terrorize Villagers into joining their side. Learn to total war.

>ordered Kent State Shooting

Massive mob action, riots, destruction of property. Looked bad for Nixon but stopped things from getting entirely out of hand.

>Watergate

Nixon wasn't guilty of anything to do with Watergate, he was just guilty of trying to bribe people to shut up about it because he had important governing to do.
>>
>>455817
You should have posted the only good American Dad clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFV1uT-ihDo
>>
>>455817
Hell there was a bunch of terrible shit that happened under the Clinton Administration, particularly Waco, and then the pants-on-head retarded logic they used to pass the '94 AWB.

The most infuriating thing for me is that he's remembered as a "good" president when things like Waco were explained away by "oh they're cultists, it doesn't matter." Plus, his handling of Iraq pretty much set us up for the invasion in 2003.
>>
>>455823
>Orders of magnitude less than the Vietkong did, and Nixon did it to take on the Vietkong. Vietkong did it to terrorize Villagers into joining their side. Learn to total war.
Whataboutisms are a terrible line of argument, especially in a guerilla war where you're supposed to be playing the "good guy."

Granted, Nixon was a far better president than people give him credit for, but don't act like we didn't do anything bad in Vietnam.
>>
>>455829
wow, brilliant.

i'd have never known, i quit drinking the MacFarlane kool aid after a few seasons of FG.
>>
Nixon did alot of good things.

Clean Air and Clean Water acts are both phenomenal successes and as others have pointed out he did some good work for deescalating nuclear armament.

Nixon also did some absolutely fucking retarded things and madman theory is some of the worst foreign policy in history.

He deserved what he got for his involvement in watergate though.
>>
>>454710
Watergate scandal revealed a lot of shady deals with friends and family, also uncovered secret bombing campaigns in Cambodia.
>>
>>455058
I know this sounds weird, but legally we had no ability to do anything in Afghanistan so we were basically giving everything to Pakistan and letting them dole the money and weapons out. So of course, it went to whoever the ISI deemed most helpful to Pakistan's geopolitical necessities.

But you are correct, our money and weapons went directly to extremist groups. Hard to look back and really say if it was the right thing to do in the grand scheme of things. Is it better to help bring down USSR, or provide assistance to terrorists?

At one point the US was taking tanks and other heavy military equipment from the Iraqi military during the first Gulf War and giving it to ISI, then suddenly the USSR pulled out of Afghanistan and we were no longer legally able to send the equipment to Afghanistan. ISI already had a bunch of it, and we asked for it back, ISI basically said "go fuck yourself".
>>
>>455195
Can I ask what China had to do with abandonment of the gold standard?
>>
>>454710
he was the hero we needed, but not the one we deserved.
>>
>>456021
Get >>>/tv/ofherehothead
>>
>>455636

oh wow, so it turns out you can't just keep printing money forever for no reason?

Wow.
>>
>>455636
>Basically, Charles de Gaulle was (as usual) being a giant dickweed
And obviously he was entirely right.

Not being a "giant dickweed" gets you totally screwed and ending up with a pile of useless paper that you paid for in gold.
>>
>>454657
He disdained the plebeians more than necessary.
>>
His interviews with David Frost retroactively vindicated the invention of television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yf9vW8OM3o
>>
>>456972
That film taught me more about the machinations of modern politics than an entire degree in political science.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFHYiOfBRng
>>
>>454697
For mkst part of American History liberals were for Small Goverments and Conservatives were statists
That only changed after Reagan
>>
>>457240
>mfw
>>
>>455195
>the abandonment of the gold standard,

Literally economic astrology.
"Muh shiny rocks have inherent value but that fancy new paper money dunt"
>>
>>455259
Deficit is beneficial for economic growth, so yeah. The debt isn't meant to be "paid off" you dumbfuck. It's not like a personal loan where some angry Chinese creditors kick down our doors and break our knees. A fat chunk of the debt is the US owing money to itself.
>>
>>456959
>useless paper

Gold has no more inherent use. Even paper money is getting a bit old, grandpa, it's all becoming digital now. Do you think in some kinda Fallout situation people are going to trade your shiny metals for valuables?
>>
>>457330
You forgot about

>muh lack of volatility
>muh safe investment
>muh crisis prevention

They've been getting BTFO by the monetarists since forever yet they still keep peddling their horseshit to plebs. See Peter Schiff for example, a fucking con artist feeding on goldbug retards.
>>
>>454710
Actually he forced the continuation of the vietnam war; which was a violation of the logan act of 1773. By all means he should have gone to jail for the hundreds of thousand of americans and vietnamiese that died for nothing but his campaign's sake.
>>
>>457341
That was a very ignorant thing to say.
http://geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml
>>
>>455155
>w-we could've won the vietnam war!
>if it weren't for those democrat buttholes!
o i am laffin
>>
File: 1450167150721.jpg (15 KB, 605x259) Image search: [Google]
1450167150721.jpg
15 KB, 605x259
>>455078
>the war on drugs and mass incarceration work
my man I don't even have a smug enough anime girl for this
>>
>>457866
>it dunidt work 'cause i hate it!

Hello. Can you prove otherwise? Radfem sociologists of victimhood are not qualified citations
>>
>>454682
Just watch the movie Frost-Nixon
>>
>>455722
We all read Freakonomics bruh
>>
>>455843
He pretty much nipped 1st wave political correctness in the bud, so he has my thanks. Not that it means much now
>>
>>459545
the burden of proof is on you.

Because the reduction in crime since the 70's has been happening in pretty much the entire civilized world
>>
Literally a meme president

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qRZvlZZ0DY
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.