[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think of Vercingetorix?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
What does /his/ think of Vercingetorix?
>>
Just one of the many people who were inferior to G.J. Caesar.
>>
>>453942

so wait, was he french or basically irish?

wasnt all of france just what Ireland is now, but it all got pushed back?
>>
>>453942
Fought a lost battle. He was alright.
>>
He was a big guy, but Caesar was Caesar.
>>
>>453976
Vercingetorix, i am SPQR
>>
Over the Europe, the step of legions thunder
forecasting the imminent end of the Republic.
The hills of Gallia rot in shed blood,
while Iulius Ceasar writes his diaries.

"Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres
Quarum unam incolunt Belgae aliam Aquitani
Tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae nostra Galli appellantur
Ave Caesar morituri te salutant!"

"Let us, oh Caesar, when we conquer the world
rob, rape and fulfill all of our desires!"
Soldiers' pleas does not change in any age,
and silent Caesar shan't forbid entertainment.

New order civillizes the conquered peoples.
From Rhein to Nile, roadside crosses spurt.
In pain, plea and complaint all of the world cries
while Iulius Caesar perfects his lapidary style!

>>
>>453985
if i removed the mustache, will you die?
>>
It was a bitch move to have him strangled.
>>
>>453964
He was Celtic, but the Celts were a huge group of people with an extremely varied culture, although they had some unifying elements.

The only Celts left around today are the Insular Celts, and even they are divided into two main groups - Gaelic (Ireland and Scotland) and Brythonic (Wales and Brittany), both of them being native to the British Isles and not something a continental Celt like Vercingetorix would be very related to.

And the idea of him being French is just completely ridiculous, where the hell did you get that idea? The only thing he has in common is that they happen to live in the same geographic area,
>>
>>454425
>And the idea of him being French is just completely ridiculous, where the hell did you get that idea? The only thing he has in common is that they happen to live in the same geographic area,
Are you some kind of a retard ?
>>
>>454425
The Gauls were the French but barbarians.
>>
>>454386
hey fellow pole
>>
>>454448
I have to agree with him on some level. They were the ancestors of modern France, but the culture is vastly different. Better call a Celt a Celt.
>>
>>454461
>tfw no one listens to Kaczmarski on /his/
>>
>>454425
He sure has a shitload more in common with French than with fucking Irish.
>>
>>454448
>>454456
>>454677
Genetically sure, he may be similar to the modern French.

But culturally? Fuck no. He'd be more similar to the Irish than the French, but his connection to either group is extremely thin either way.
>>
>>454396
It would be extremely defeating
>>
File: 1442452187273.jpg (63 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1442452187273.jpg
63 KB, 600x450
>>453964
>anachronistically attributing modern ethnic groups to ancient peoples

This triggers my shit like nothing else
>>
>>453964
Closer to Ireland than to modern France but still very different, Celts were a very varied group and the differences between continental and insular celts was massive.
>>
>>454959
>hurr durr we wuz gingers
>nowadays irish is ginger so they must be same peepl

I bet this guy is american, i wish we had flags on this board
>>
He was the last hope for celtic culture, when he was defeated, it sounded the death knell for the celts.
>>
Vercingetorix is such a fucking awesome name
>>
>>454994
>>454880
>>454677
>>454520
>>453964
>everyone saying he was culturally irish
Ireland is a gaelic celtic culture mainland europe was a insular celtic culture which we know because of brittany the northern tip of France which retains its celtic langauge. He was in no way close to the irish culturally or linguistically, there are still cultural celts and ethnic celts in france.
>>
>>455303
That's not what I said. I said he's more culturally similar to the Irish than modern-day France, not that he's very similar to the Irish in general, just relative to his similarities with the French.

Also, Bretons are insular Celts who migrated to the continent from Wales in the 4th century, they are not the same as the Gauls who inhabited the area prior to Roman conquest.
>>
>>455326
>he's more culturally similar to the Irish

In literally what way other than language (putting aside the fact that most Irish people just speak English)? Even Ireland itself is culturally nothing like the Ireland 2500 years ago.
>>
>>455339
>In literally what way other than language

Very little, but the language alone gives him a closer link to the Irish than to the French.
>>
>>455326
Gauls spoke a insular celtic language so even if your comparing ireland to france since modern france includes the bretons a insular celtic culture france would be more similar than ireland to the gauls. By the way the bretons migrated from cornwall not wales.
>>
>>455378
By "France" I assumed we were talking about the French-speaking "French" culture of France, not regional groups like Brittany, Picardie, or Occitania.
>>
>>455339
You don't have to go back 2500 years to find tribal celtic society in Ireland, the gaelic order ended in the early 17th century.

You're right that they aren't close to modern Ireland, modern Ireland and France are closer to each other than either are to Gaul obviously, but there's slightly less of a disconnect between Irish people and Gauls than French people and Gauls
>>
>>455409
You said France/French which is a nation and a nationality, if you meant those who speak french you should have said Franks.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.