[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Age Religion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 300x300
What is the most respectable new-age movement?

What is the least respectable?
>>
>>452405
Polyamory
>>
>>452405

1. DEFINE "RESPECTABLE".

2. THE WHOLE OF THE "NEW AGE" PHENOMENON WAS SOCIALLY ENGINEERED IN THE NINETEEN SIXTIES TO DIVERT AND NEUTER THE REVOLUTIONARY SOCIOCULTURAL FORCES THAT HAD BECOME ACTIVE.

"NEW AGE" IS NOTHING BUT DECEPTION, LIES, AND PERVERSION.
>>
>>452405
Chaos Magic

Deities are admittedly fictional.
>>
The lesser evil is reconstructionist paganism, then again it's less New Age and more of an... Old Age.

The least respectable is the sacralization of psychology and marketing.
>>
>>452408
>Polyamory
Is this an original /his/ meme, or did we import it from another board?
>>
Most : reconstructionist paganism that is self-aware of its discontinuity with the original beliefs.

Least : Wicca, unironic theistic satanism, goddess worship, new atheism.
>>
>>452414
Could you provide some sources on this?
>>
>>452581
>>452617

I have to agree with you there anon. At least paganism is life affirming and engaging. I'm not a pagan but I friend of mine that lives in Scotland is a pagan and I've heard about and seen some of the ritual they do, and the good thing about paganism is that you are meant to understand it metaphorically and not literally like some other religions. The life affirming aspect of paganism is what I respect most though
>>
File: 1442824338961.jpg (44 KB, 607x608) Image search: [Google]
1442824338961.jpg
44 KB, 607x608
>>452674
what is the metaphor of the orgies ?
>>
>>452405
Santo Daime is based, they just hallucinate and protect the forests.

Reconstructionism that's unwilling to accept the basis of the faiths are based on second hand or more distant accounts are worst

Like Asatru practioners.
>>
romanticized paganism is the only worthwhile thing
>>
None of it is respectable at all.
It's meant as a joke and you're supposed to laugh at any display of new age shenanigans.
>>
>>452684

Life itself is an orgy man. Just walk outside in the woods or in a park the spring and actually look around, everything's fucking and rejoicing so to speak. The orgy since time immemorial has generally been in reverence to spring and the renewing of life from winter.
>>
>>452405
Urantia Book
>>
>>452405
Urantia Book

Communism
>>
Bahaaj

Atheism
>>
>>452581
>>452617
Reconstructed Paganism is literally just a way for White nationalists to try to be relevant. Not fucking respectable at all.
>>
>>452696
This. Identifying as Asatru is a very good way to make it known to the world that your opinions are utterly meaningless.
>>
>>452405
Bahai's, Mormons, and Communism probably have the largest followings.

I don't know if 1800's is new enough to be codified as 'new age'.
>>
>>452580
chaos magic is shit compared to tantra. Deities are a necessary part of my magic
>>
Rastas
>>
>>456855
If you strip out the Messianic message and Weed you have a very beautiful and elastic faith.

I've seen it in action in Hawaii among the Kanaka communities and they told me about the Rastas in Australia, New Zealand, Havasupai in Arizona and Khoisan Saffers in indigeniety and anti-colonialist struggles utilizing it's very pro-black and african foundation.

Rastafari as a way of being rather than a strict religion like Bobo Shanti who honestly scare me irl because in NYC they are militaristic almost and intense.
>>
>>452405
psychotherapy specifically Jungian
Discordianism
Semiotics
Church of SubGenius
Hermetic Gnosticism
>>
>>452696
Next you're gonna spout those dank may mays, Asatru is re constructionist you fuckhead
>>
>>456943
....I stated Asatru was reconstructionist. Is your first language English?
>>
You'd have to make one yourself if you want it to be respectable. The "re-constructionist" movements are fundamentally bullshit because none of them are really based on the original beliefs or scripture. You'd need to create a new re-constructionist idea where you take the basic elements of an old religion and work out the rest for yourself, but that would be a personal thing, not a movement. That would be a respectable belief.

Having said that, I think it's possible to create a respectable "movement" for the old Celtic religion. If you strip it down to its bare elements of nature and ancestor reverence/worship, providing a basic structure, you can encourage practitioners to discover the truths of the religion for themselves rather than relying on scripture. Same goes for any religion, but the Celtic one seemed like a good example because of how little we actually know.

Then we have all the crystal healing, Wicca, satanism etc. which is absolute bollocks. They're mostly followed by hippies or women of a certain age, so they're reasonably harmless, but still grounded in no truth whatsoever.

Philosophies like Hermeticism and the various Esoteric schools are good, but they're not really New Age, though the various movements have appropriated elements. Also, the whole point of them are that you have to discover the truths for yourself, so they can't properly exist as movements, aside from loosely connected groups designed for exchanging knowledge like the alchemists or Rosicrucians.
>>
>>456912

>Discordianism

>Church of SubGenius

>Respectable

Strange but true
>>
>>452414
Divert attention from what revolutionary forces?
>>
>>453266
Mesopaganism has serious problems with racism, I grant you that, but I think that statement is a bit broad. It isn't one generic blanket like neopaganism is, after all.
>>
>>457071
It's neopaganism, there is no continous chain of active worship through the centuries to present get the fuck over your fantasy.
>>
>>457259
>get the fuck over your fantasy

I'm not a pagan whatsoever.

>It's neopaganism

The difference is that neopaganism is openly syncretic whereas mesopaganism is averse to eclecticism, generally.

>there is no continous chain of active worship through the centuries to present

Yes, hence why they call themselves mesopagans and not paleopagans.
>>
>>452580

/thread
>>
Pagans are hypocrite bullshitters, they're LARPing-tier "nerds" who feel an extreme need of escapism to the point where they re-imagine a dead culture and think they're still part of it.
>>
>>457756
do you speak for experience anon? tell us more.
>>
>>452405
>new age
>respectable
Nope.

>>456912
>gnosticism
Spiritual fedoras who stole their ideas from the Platonic school and can't stop whining about the Demiurge.

If you are an infinite soul, and knew exactly the risks of incarnating in this world; you still believed they were acceptable by choosing to come here.
>>
>>457787
To be honest I'm just sour with the experiences I've had with them over the years, especially those terrible folk-metal enthousiasts.
My recent fling with a pagan girl that ended in disaster only made it worse.
>>
>>452642
http://www.gnosticmedia.com/manufacturing-the-deadhead-a-product-of-social-engineering-by-joe-atwill-and-jan-irvin/
>>
>>457903
>Caesar's Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus. Atwill’s research into the origins of Christianity had led him to conclude that Rome had invented the religion

highest keks.
>>
>>453266
Much like /pol/tards, White Nationalist Pagans are just a hyper vocal minority
>>
>>452405
>What is the most respectable new-age movement?

Time Cube. It's a shame it has only one follower.
>>
File: download.jpg (105 KB, 510x348) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
105 KB, 510x348
Post-Ironic Neo-Hegelian Christianity.
>>
>>457523
That's a cute way to mince things but the fact of the matter is Asatru is under the umbrella Germanic Neopaganism and has been for decades.

It's nothing more than neopaganism like Wicca and Druidism.

Please do more than Wikipedia searches or read books that alter definitions that suit pagan authors :)
>>
>>452405
The most respectable is cult of the sun god Apollo that is on the rise in Greece. The least respectable is Scientology.
>>
>>452405
Order of the Good Knights.
It has one follower so far and its me.
>>
File: HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg (40 KB, 562x437) Image search: [Google]
HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg
40 KB, 562x437
>>458001
>>
>>458096
Tell me more good Sir Anon
>>
>>458096

No you aren't, because I am the only Good Knight, and the World Order of Good Knights is the only correct way to become a Good Knight
>>
>>458537
Well, I do have the entire philosophy developed if you're interested. Only guys can join, of course. It takes a complete lifestyle change that I'm already practicing.
Life devoted to workout, sports, self development of any sort and helping others without expecting a reward because reward is helpfulness and self fulfillment through humility and good deeds. In the times of trouble, brothers of the Order are there for each others to help one another when we are not strong to endure this lifestyle individually.
The restrictions of our lifestyle aren't that severe. Vegetarianism is a must or at least expected to start practicing, sexual and alcoholic abstinence are important as well. No Good Knight can practice casual sex, be drunk or use drugs. We are straight edge. Smoking is also absolutely haram. Instead, we should find inspiration to live in knowledge, workout, helping others and making this world a better place while remaining pure.

Desirable people to join:
>men 15-35 yo (at 40 the Good Knights are retired honorably)
>fit or at least people practicing some sports or want to (but no fatties because that is unpure)
>somewhat good looking at least

Undesirables:
>STEM students
>fatties
>people with piercings and tattoos
>lazy people
>druggies and such

>>458563
Sure you are.
>>
>>458765
Did you ever work at labor ready in Santa Clarita?
>>
File: download (2).jpg (10 KB, 200x192) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
10 KB, 200x192
>>458765
>this entire post
>""""""good knights""""""
>>
>>458786
>implying having standards and expectations is a bad thing
>>458784
No. Why?
>>
>>458792
Okay. I know another dude that wants to be a real life knight and had a bullshit set of standards like you.
He was nice, but autistic as fuck
>>
File: images (2).jpg (8 KB, 306x164) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
8 KB, 306x164
>>458792
>>implying having standards and expectations is a bad thing

>implying you're not autistic and tacky as fuck

>
>
>
>""""""""""good""""""
>"""""""""""""""""knights"""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>458799
I respect him for what he believes in. Religion without basis in science and the real world shouldn't be the only motivation to live a certain way and many people find themselves lost and without "higher purpose". For me, the higher purpose isn't just education and a good job, things I already achieved. Its building something with everlasting value that isn't material, but spiritual if I can call it that. Living a certain way shouldn't be a thing of religions and strange cults. My entire lifestyle is focused on self development that I realized I can find through helping others and putting some restrictions in my life. I want to have people around me that think the same, people that would start doing something from nothing and have their backs.
You could say that organized society is more like a support group and it's also really cool to have like minded people bounded together with some cause. That's why I also GET people that join various cults and religious sects that turn out to be unhealthy for them. I think I may be autistic like your friend. What binds every cult is their belief in something and that something is often imaginary and I bet they are often very aware that it is. I really doubt that many % of scientologists actually believe in all that.
>>
>>458822
>implying I'm actually serious about it 100%
It's fun though
>>
>>458831
>retardedly long posts
>b-but it's just for fun!!!!!
>>
Wicca is the least respectable shit and was literally started as a sex abuse ring
>>
>>452405
Name a teaching, a movement that rised from the period of new age "religion" that is not fundamentally hinduistic or that is not a teaching from Hinduism but with the deities took apart so that it would appeal to non-Indian public.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.