[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say a true fact about history doesn't have to be special
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: Dumpster-Fire.jpg (54 KB, 358x500) Image search: [Google]
Dumpster-Fire.jpg
54 KB, 358x500
Say a true fact about history doesn't have to be special I'll start
People worked iron by 1200
>>
There was a global flood in around 2000 BC.
>>
It wasn't until the 1800s that humans routinely exceeded 5 foot 6 inches tall.
>>
>>451897
>true fact about history
History is not composed of truth or facts but wie es eigentlich gewesen, to show the past essentially as it happened. To show, not truth, and as it happened in its own terms, through the attempt to be essential about the past, from the past's own sources.

Most people don't understand this not particularly special aspect of the discipline.
>>
>>451907
Tell that to the Awabakal of Newcastle.
>>
The bananas that you eat nowadays aren't actually "bananas" but a genus of plantain crossbred to look like a banana. Before about 1955, people ate "New World" bananas. A banana-tree killing virus ruined the industry, and the only suitable replacement was a yellow breed of plantain. "New World" bananas were much smaller but also much sweeter and were described as having the texture of custard.
>>
When the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa was secretly alleged to be of Irish heritage, he requested of Pope Adrian IV that the ruler spreading these rumors, Duke Joseph II of Bavaria, be excommunicated. The Pope refused. Barbarossa seized Joseph and exiled him to Gotland, an island in the Baltic Sea.
>>
In the late 1690s in France, there was an effort by the nobility (led by the prince of Conde) to revive the tradition of prima noctae rights for the king, with the added clause that whichever bride the king did not take could be deflowered by the next highest titled aristocrat present, and so on.
>>
75% of the world's population is lactose-intolerant. In the year 0, this number was probably closer to 90%.
>>
From 1980-2005, the Greek government spent a total of $2,200,000 on the "Cretans ain't cretins!" campaign in English speaking countries. This ad campaign spearheaded by the island of Crete's tourism department specifically addresses the etymology of Cretan and cretin while featuring many of the natural features to be seen during a vacation to Crete. The ad ends with a jolly-looking bearded Greek man saying, "Now I know how the Turks feel."
>>
>>452000
25 year rule.
>>
In 1856, Samuel Alahorne invented a musical instrument that may have sounded much like an early electronic synthesizer. When running a current through the device, it would "become active," and when touching any particular knob (which were of varying sizes) with a copper wand, the knob would produce a "buzzing, trilling noise." Three practiced xylophonists from a local university were able to play Bach on it with a great degree of accuracy, however it was never patented and remained a curiosity for Alahorne to show his friends.
>>
Eating dirt was considered a normal activity before American Medical Association doctors successfully stigmatized the process in the late 1800s. It was considered especially good for young children and pregnant women to eat dirt, as it was said to contain important nutrients needed for development. Clay was generally preferred over silt or loam for its texture.
>>
Famed orchestral conductor Pierre Boulet once had this exchange with cellist Yo Yo Ma:

Boulet (after stopping orchestra): Yes, yes, can you hold that a little differently?

Ma: My bow?

Ma: Yes, exactly, your bow. It's disconcerting. It clashes with your section, you stand out. It's crooked to my eye. It's at a slant.

Ma: Yes. Like this? Better?

Boulet: Yes, well, that's sufficient. I just hate slants is all.
>>
One of David Rockefeller's mansions in upstate New York has 86,400 watch-sized digital display clocks. Arranged neatly along three walls, each clock remains fixed on a particular minute and lights up for one second each day when it is "time" to do so.
>>
During the First Crusade, silk was worth 98 times its weight in gold.
>>
To prevent debasing of the currency, the Polish Sejm in 1653 implemented a measure where an explosive would be placed in every gold denomination of the zloty, the idea being that those who tried to melt the coins would be maimed or killed by gold shrapnel.

This plan failed when the national mint couldn't find a way to reliably insert the explosives into the coins without detonating them.
>>
On the excellently preserved German mummy Christian Friedrich von Kahlbutz (1651-1702), researchers have found foreign rectal tissue covering the remains of the permanently hardened penis. However, this tissue dates from roughly the late 1800s.
>>
>>451975
Are most people really lactose intolerant? I thought it was uncommon to be.
>>
>>452196
If you live in north europe you might think its uncommon, They have that gene that helps them break down lactose in adulthood
>>
>>452196
Most people of European decent can process lactose, it is the opposite in the rest of the world.
>>
>>452214
I have never met or even heard about a single person being lactose intolerant around here, in my entire life, and I live in a third world south american shithole.
I'm starting to think this "a large portion of the world is lactose intolerant" thing is another epin ruse by the 4chan rusemasters.
>>
>>452232
>South america
Then you have european decent anon
>>
William of Orange was the first head of state assassinated by handgun
>>
>>452368
Not who you were talking to but:

Gf is Asian, Dad Chinese, Mom Japanese. Both sides of her family consume milk products with no problem.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.