[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Manchu China
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12
File: images (2).png (18 KB, 358x411) Image search: [Google]
images (2).png
18 KB, 358x411
Chinese literally forces Chinese to cut thier hair just to show how superior the Manchu way was. They opresses the Chinese in the most horrible ways.

Why do modern Chinese still identify with Manchu culture?
>>
>>450096
>Manchu
why shouldn't they, americans still identify with the british culture and the english language, bulgarians still identify with the bulgarian turkic people that enslaved them, hungarians aswell. the mentioned do not even stem from the same people or nation. chinese identifying with chinese dynasties is even more plausible.
>>
>>450134
>enslaved

Since when is assimilation an enslavement? People throw away horseshit buzzwords like this around without thinking.
>>
>>450134
>americans still identify with the british culture
but they don't
>>
Do you see anyone still wearing a queue? The Machus adopted Han culture after taking the throne, just like Mongolians.
>>
>>450096
What do you mean by identify with Manchu culture? I don't see chinese people today with that cut.

Also if anything wasn't it the manchu who adopted much of han culture outside of shit like footbinding?
>>
>>450142
>The hairstyle was compulsory for all males and the penalty for not complying was execution for treason. In the early 1910s, after the fall of the Qing dynasty, the Chinese no longer had to wear it.
>>
>>450142

>Kublai's government after 1262 was a compromise between preserving Mongol interests in China and satisfying the demands of his Chinese subjects.
>However, Kublai rejected plans to revive the Confucian imperial examinations and divided Yuan society into three, later four, classes with the Han Chinese occupying the lowest rank. Kublai's Chinese advisers still wielded significant power in the government, but their official rank was nebulous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuan_dynasty
>>
Its a really ugly haircut to be perfectly honest.
>>
>>450096
>Why do modern Chinese still identify with Manchu culture?
Five Races Under One Union(δΊ”ζ—ε…±ε’Œ). It was influenced by an idea that the Manchus themselves created, because they believed every subject of the Qing were Chinese and that all the different ethnic groups and cultures were one big happy family.

The Xinhai Revolution was originally a plan to form a Han Chinese nation state, however, since it also had Manchu, Mongolian and Tibetan supporters, they decided to keep the Idea that all of Qing was China. Basically the Qing expanded the borders of "Middle Kingdom" to not only include Han Chinese. But also every other nation they conquered. Which stuck with the creation of Republic of China.
>>
>>450096
>Chinese literally forces Chinese to cut thier hair just to show how superior the Manchu way was.
Ironically, it was a Chinese practice that made the Manchus do it: the practice of political hairstyles. Peeps tend to forget the Manchu Emperor himself wore a queue.

Political haircuts have been a thing in China since the ancient times until -actually- today.
>>
File: 1911 Revolution haircut.jpg (72 KB, 827x1239) Image search: [Google]
1911 Revolution haircut.jpg
72 KB, 827x1239
>>451993
Here's the Revolutionary One.
>>
>>451993
Except only one they cut your head off
>>
File: 1439210439531.jpg (36 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
1439210439531.jpg
36 KB, 500x322
>>451501
it can look badass desu senpai

but ye, I do not really like it either. It did not really match the clothing at the time. To not forget a lot of good Qing policies were impossible to implement because of a simple hairstyle that was mandatory.
>>
File: Xi Jingping and Hu Jintao.jpg (102 KB, 900x794) Image search: [Google]
Xi Jingping and Hu Jintao.jpg
102 KB, 900x794
>>451995
And here's the CCP one. Though its not mandate, every party member seems to strive for this hairstyle.
>>
>>451993
>implying there is any modern society where anything but short hair is socially acceptable
>>
>>452003
There's a specific combing of the hair involved m8.

Republicans have their bangs fall over their foreheads or to the side.

Commies comb it over as per >>451998
>>
>>452013
Yeah, that haircut sure looks like Sun Yat Sen
>>
>>450140
i agree
>>
>>451993
>Ironically, it was a Chinese practice that made the Manchus do it: the practice of political hairstyles.

No it's a cultural one you retard. Han Chinese wearing a topknot = cultural, Han Chinese wearing a queue = political

Just for comparison's sake Scottish man wearing a kilt = cultural, Scottish man wearing a turban = political
>>
>>450096
They don't? The Qing are largely viewed as oppressive conquerors by the Han majority, much like the Mongols were.

If anything, it was everyone else that identified with Chinese culture:
>>
>>454103
This.

Since when do the Chinese 'identify with Manchu culture'?
>>
>>454119
>Since when do the Chinese 'identify with Manchu culture'?

Qipaos nigga, they err where
>>
>>454103
>They don't? The Qing are largely viewed as oppressive conquerors by the Han majority, much like the Mongols were.

Absolutely false. First of all, the Manchus were pseudo Han Chinese in the first place considering that they were tributaries to Ming and had been emulating Chinese culture for a long time. Second, about 90% of their conquests were carried out by Han Chinese. If anything, the Manchus were already Chinese, but the Qing court was just practicing a couple elements of Manchu culture simply for muh heritage, like some hick who claims to be 1/128th Cherokee and acts like he's in tune with muh nature and shit.
>>
File: qi.pao.jpg (50 KB, 500x736) Image search: [Google]
qi.pao.jpg
50 KB, 500x736
>>454122
Well, the Qipao China uses nowadays is the sexy 1920's version far removed from the butt-ugly Qing duster.

Meanwhile men's traditional formalwear is based off the Zhongshan Suit. Which is Republican.
>>
>>454214
>Zhongshan Suit
I thought that was Japanese.
>>
>>454207
While you're not wrong, remember that they imposed Manchu culture onto Han Chinese as well, and they enforced a sharp Manchu-Han divide socially and ethnically.

Also they were semi-nomadic people so their genes are different from sedentary people. Even if they intermixed, they would still have sharper contrast genetically compared to say Han and Joseon
>>
>>454214
>qipao
>sexy

You mean ugly degenerate shit for turbo-cumdumps
>>
>>454268
Feisal pls
dont you have some janitorial work to do in Chopchop Square?
>>
>>454268
The Vietnamese outfit is absolutely qt.
>>
>>454207
Are you retarded? It doesn't matter what you call them or want them to be. The fact is that Manchu did not consider themselves to be Han Chinese and did tons of horrible things against Han Chinese. Not to mention making China the Sick Man and the joke of Asia. I remember a story from my grandpa. when he was a young child and Manchus fell people still was afraid to cut the hair because they feared revenge. Call a spade a spade and stop trying to whitewash or justify humiliations. Even with humiliations like fucking Qing dynasty we have a million more things to be proud than others.
>>
File: 205281.jpg (98 KB, 517x690) Image search: [Google]
205281.jpg
98 KB, 517x690
>>454214
>Qing dynasty Qipao
>ugly
I don't understand how you could possibly think that
>>
>WE WUZ QINGZ N SHET

It's ironic how most Chinese as taught by the CCP consider the Manchus as a thoroughly Chinese and almost Sinitic culture and people. There are a lot of Han Chinese in Beijing and Shenyang, who would be slaves of the Manchu back then, claiming QINGZ N SHIT these days. Actually the sinicization of the Manchus took place in three steps:

1. Sinitic influence and immigration to early Manchurian states (Koguryo and Bohai/Parhae, the Liao and Jurchen Jin) and Yuan period (Chinese colonization of Liaodong)

2. Han Chinese banners (in Liaodong and Fushun Nikan) incorporated into an institutionalized Manchu identity (instead of a Tungusic one based on Jurchens)

3. And re-establishment of Manchu identity by the CCP in the 50s through 80s when many half Manchus or even completely Han Chinese individuals with forged documents registered themselves as Manchus

So by this time Manchus would be considered thoroughly sinicized. There was a caste system based being part of a banner, but it wasn't exactly race-based, since the Manchus were trying so hard desperately to become Chinese, while retaining a separate status and identity

http://youtu.be/38ArKRnEwLQ
>>
>>454599
Summarize that video for me, please. It's quite long.
>>
File: David_Hume.jpg (218 KB, 461x567) Image search: [Google]
David_Hume.jpg
218 KB, 461x567
>>454091
>implying
>>
>>454599
Those claims basically indicate that they were part of the ruling class / royalty (im using this very loosely).
>>
File: Chinese female.jpg (1 MB, 1024x4232) Image search: [Google]
Chinese female.jpg
1 MB, 1024x4232
>>454443
Qing Qipao is pretty much Granmammy Duster-tier compared to the other dynasties.

In terms of fashion, the Qing is an utter disaster. Though at least they make up for it in armor and military uniforms.
>>
File: 205174.jpg (123 KB, 530x706) Image search: [Google]
205174.jpg
123 KB, 530x706
>>454668
I dunno man, I just don't see it. I know the Tang dynasty is considered the reigning champion of Chinese dress but I much prefer the flattering style of loose old-fashioned Qipao.
>>
>>454668
>Natural Breast Movement?
>Googles
>Apparently latter Imperial China were prudes. Cunts got offended by cleavages. Ordered all women to bind their breasts.
>"In the year 1920 in China, women still bound their breasts and those who wore low-cut clothing revealing even the slightest bit of skin risked being arrested by outraged authorities. But only seven years later, the Chinese government outlawed breast binding and the natural breast movement was well on its way."
I learned something today.
>>
There's actually a movement within China right now revolving around restoring the Han Chinese traditional dress (Hanfu) as opposed to the Manchu dress. It's called the Hanfu movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanfu_movement

Increases in GDP per capita combined with the government recently showing signs of wanting to push a return to traditional culture should spark similar movements.
>>
File: hanbok.jpg (24 KB, 403x600) Image search: [Google]
hanbok.jpg
24 KB, 403x600
>>454695
All East Asians were quite prudish when it came to women. It reflected in the dresses.
-Korea: Hanbok skirt reached up to the fucking tits to hide figure.
-China: Voluminous robes to hide figure.
-Japan: curve of waist hidden by thick belt. So a woman in a kimono appears like a slender curveless mass.
-all 3: breasts are bound.

Though China did have the T'ang Dynasty's Girls-gone-wild Phase when it was acceptable to show curves and cleavages.
>>
>>454711
Not quite. Gook and Jap women had no qualms about letting their tits hang out. At least the lower class women didn't. It's mainly Chinese women who were always prudish and expected to be classy.
>>
>>454725
>Gook and Jap women had no qualms about letting their tits hang out.
Mainly for breastfeeding. And so far I only see peasants being depicted as such.
>>
>>454753
Perhaps. To be fair, they seem to be laborers or peasants. But exposed tits was unheard of in China, while it was common in Korea and Japan.

https://desustorage.org/int/thread/52541500
>>
>>454711
the nape of the neck was the sexiest part of a woman in japan, not their figure
>>
>>451998
It de facto professional looks of east asian people. It's something your average economists/engineers/doctors would look like up until very recently.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.