[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are humans happier now then they were in say, the middle ages?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1448045844942.jpg (48 KB, 500x605) Image search: [Google]
1448045844942.jpg
48 KB, 500x605
Are humans happier now then they were in say, the middle ages? I feel like even though they were pretty "oppressed", they still lived joyful and meaningful lives. It seems like every person was serving a purpose that was bigger than them, and something like that is what the human brain was hardwired for. Now we live in a super nihilist society that puts so much emphasize on becoming rich with material wealth. I know happy is very subjective, but what are your thoughts?
>>
>>448360
>Are humans happier now then they were in say, the middle ages?
Question is... what objective criterion would be used to answer this?

The same statistics on the happiness of countries today isn't exactly an old practice.
>>
As much as the abject shittiness of being a peasant is overstated, it was still pretty fucking shitty, particularly before the plague improved one's value.
The onus is on you to find some meaning in life, don't be a passive basement autist.
>>
>>448360

I think in general the amount of happiness a human experiences is pretty stable regardless of conditions. When you consider that at the end of the day its just a chemical system keeping us content to be working and feeding ourselves while we go through life.

I assume people in the middle ages counted their blessings and accepted the bad things in life just like we do, while taking for granted things that appeared normal to them (like we do with say our smartphones or abundant food supply).

I certainly don't experience added happiness from owning a smartphone, even though it objectively improves certain aspects of my life.
>>
>>448360
That image gave me a stroke
>>
>>448360

>no wheel
>metal working barely into the bronze age by the 15th century AD
>Hella advanced
>>
File: gfQXd8z.jpg (10 KB, 600x335) Image search: [Google]
gfQXd8z.jpg
10 KB, 600x335
>>448360
>that image
Excuse me while I have an aneurysm
>>
>>448360
I assume you've read the criticisim of JS Mills.

Of course you fucking haven't.
>>
>World is at peace
How does tumblr manage to be wrong so goddamn fast?
>>
>>448360
Actually a good contention sir. PhD thesis maybe?
>>
>>451641
>PhD thesis maybe?
Don't shit post to the undergraduates.
>>
>>448360
Well, in a part people lived shitty live but didn't knew else... wait, the noble were there with all the swag.
Still, there was this whole community thing, the clergy telling you what is being good, and so you could KNOW what you should do, and know that you would be recompensed in the afterlife for sure... A simple life should be a happy life.
Still, lack of security, malady, war and tons of shit you can't know why god hate you.

Meh. That or the 12h work per day of the industrial revolution... nah.

We each enjoy the luxury of living like a king of ancient times. Is This worth not being a part of a uniform community ? well, I'm sure to prefer not be burn as a witch if I have uncommon hobbies.
>>
>>448360
That image was probably made by someone that hates the eurocentric view that is taught by modern history.
But then pretty much the entire (incorrect) perspective of the world she presents is 100% eurocentric.
It is like she didn't even try to learn anything at all.
>>
File: pol-pot.jpg (29 KB, 330x241) Image search: [Google]
pol-pot.jpg
29 KB, 330x241
I agree completely. People were much happier without industry, medicine, or education.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.