[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ancient Symbols Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: images (6).jpg (15 KB, 473x311) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
15 KB, 473x311
Post Ancient Symbols and the meaning behind them.

The deeper the meaning, the better
>>
File: swaststars2.jpg (24 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
swaststars2.jpg
24 KB, 360x360
The Swastika was probably inspired by the rotation of Ursa Major (big dipper) about the star Polaris.
>>
File: Ankh_(SVG)_01.svg.png (103 KB, 2000x3854) Image search: [Google]
Ankh_(SVG)_01.svg.png
103 KB, 2000x3854
Spirit entering matter
also eternal life
>>
>>446268

I've heard it said that it symbolizes amplification
>>
>>446267
>446267
It was first used by mammoth hunters, how would they ever even notice this?
>>
The Ashanti people of west africa call the swastika the "monkey's foot".

When used on the gold weight, the swastika was a symbol of currency, expressing power, money, wealth and integrity.
>>
>>446267
I thought it represented the Galaxy
>>
>>446267
>>446320

I'd read that it represented the origin of life, and it's spread to the four corners of the world
>>
File: Hanumantal_kshetrapal.jpg (125 KB, 800x843) Image search: [Google]
Hanumantal_kshetrapal.jpg
125 KB, 800x843
>>446258
Lots of different interpretations of the swastika

What's interesting is how this is an ancient symbol found in cultures around the world, holding great significance in certain religions
Yet it's basically THE evil symbol in the western world
>>
File: EbWHHqw.jpg (69 KB, 1327x641) Image search: [Google]
EbWHHqw.jpg
69 KB, 1327x641
The earliest example of the swastika comes from the VinĨa symbols.
>>
>>446608
Nope.

Mammoth bones from Ukraine actually.
>>
>>446303
They weren't idiots and they had a really nice view of the stars every night (all humans like stars, so they would have been paying attention). They probably would have been able to figure out some rudimentary ways of navigating and determining what direction they were moving in in some absolute way, so they probably noticed that the stars rotated through the seasons.
>>
>>446320
how would ancient people know about the shape of the galaxy?
>>
>>446690

[spoiler]ayy[/spoiler]
>>
>>446336
I know that Germany and a lot of other Euro countries prohibit the use of the swastika on clothing and such things. I wonder if this law applies to Hindus, Buddhists, and other religions. Like if a Hindu tourist had a Swastika tattoo or something, would the German police detain him?
>>
File: loss.png (7 KB, 636x626) Image search: [Google]
loss.png
7 KB, 636x626
>>
>>446267
I've heard that norse farmers would use it as a symbol for Thor and that it represented lightning. There are extended versions that branch out wgich look really nice.
>>
>>446754
No, it's legal as a religious symbol.
>>
>>446761
I haven't seen one of these in a while. Solid kek, man.
>>
File: 1387340017.png (107 KB, 532x533) Image search: [Google]
1387340017.png
107 KB, 532x533
Nordic runes are the best.

Also, Finnish mythologic ancient symbols of pagan gods like Tapio, Ahti and Ukko. I'm named after one of these.
>>
>>446943
install gentoo
>>
>>446817

I guess I've missed this meme.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.