[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does there, in truth, exist a "right side of history"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: The Wrong Side.png (304 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
The Wrong Side.png
304 KB, 1024x512
Does there, in truth, exist a "right side of history"?
>>
Only temporarily. What's considered the wrong side historically may just as well be seen as the right side in a century or two.
>>
No. Right and wrong don't exist, morality is a social cosntruct.
>>
The "right side of history" is just a battle cry used by moral fascists to convince everyone that their cultural victory is inevitable. I call it a battle cry because it's only ever used to condemn others or reassure their own that they are correct.
>>
>>445819
this.
>>
By looking at it through modern values, we can say that there are. But as another anon said, contemporary values are fickle in the grand scheme of things.
>>
Morals are just opinions based on emotion and custom.
>>
>>445802
Wie es eigentlich gewesen, so no.
>>
There was a time where Napoleon was on the wrong side of History.
And Augustus.
>>
>>445802
Technological progress
Maybe personal freedom, but who knows.
Thats about it
>>
>>445802
Generally things like starvation and extinction isn't good
>>
>>445802
Only in the socially progressive sense, yes.
>>
>>445813
This. Enlightenment and Victorian Era Europeans thought they were on the right side of history and now they're lambasted for being condescending arrogant racists. The same will happen to the big thinkers and scholars of our time. It doesn't matter anyways, after enough centuries have passed all that matters to historians is what you actually contributed to society, not how mean your views were, that is if you're even remembered at all.
>>
>>445802
Yes.

Everything opposed to Whig historiography is wrong.
>>
>>445819
/thread
>>
>>448126
>>445966
>>445819
Doesn't make morality any less real
>>
>>445802
Whichever side is more beneficial towards humanity. If one side wants to exterminate millions of people, and the other side doesn't, then the second side is better.
>>
>>448701
Genghis Khan is seen as a hero nowadays because of the economic benefits he brought in spite of the millions killed because of him.
>>
>>445802
Absolutely not and the people that use that phrase are usually the biggest cretins ever, but can we stop having this thread please? If this is going to become a constant thing at least include funny screencaps of people being BTFO for saying it or cringe material.
>>
>>448009

What's really funny is how critical theorists try to lambast them for that right now
>>
60 years ago, everyone agreed, wether they supported it or even if they opposed it, that Soviet communism was the way of the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_will_bury_you

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Whittaker_Chambers

>"I know that I am leaving the winning side for the losing side, but it is better to die on the losing side than to live under Communism."
>>
Yes.

www.ichthys.com

Also look for Bill Cooper´s work.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.