[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good book about the history of cannabis? Not just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 1449908591428.jpg (110 KB, 580x397) Image search: [Google]
1449908591428.jpg
110 KB, 580x397
What's a good book about the history of cannabis? Not just since prohibition began, I want to read about the whole history of the plant, from antiquity through modernity. Books focusing on the history of hemp are fine, too.
Drug history thread, I guess.
>>
Interesting topic. Bumping.
>>
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005G37SDI/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1

Looks interesting as fuck.
>>
Did the Assassins really chew hashish?
>>
File: C_ahmb.jpg (59 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
C_ahmb.jpg
59 KB, 317x475
>>
>>444411

There's little to no evidence they used it. It was mostly a derogatory idea, that they were drug users, therefore lower class, impure, etc.
>>
File: cann1.jpg (12 KB, 334x153) Image search: [Google]
cann1.jpg
12 KB, 334x153
Cannabis smoking didn't start until after the discovery of the Americas and the subsequent discovery of tobacco among other things which eventually reached Muslim traders in the old world. Somewhere along the idea of smoking was tried out with the cannabis and eventually the culture of cannabis smoking caught on across the world. A number of hemp cults were established in Africa after Arabs introduced the practice to the continent. Before this the traditional form of consuming cannabis in India was Bhang. In China it was used as an incense and a cooking spice. The earliest historical evidence of anything resembling the smoking of cannabis was a description given by Herodotus of the Scythian's manner of burning cannabis in wool sacks over a cauldron filled with hot embers and covering it with a tepee and inhaling the smoke from the hole in the top.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entheogenic_use_of_cannabis#Ancient_Central_Asia
>>
>>443928
Isn't that what they were named after?

>>446409
>Americas

What? What about Hashish?
>>
>>447561
Like I said Bhang was the usual form of consumption in India were cannabis is native to and hash if anything was probably ingested despite many places saying things like hash being used for thousands of years, the sadhus didn't start smoking chillums until tobacco smoking became a thing world wide.
>>
>>446409
>burning it and inhaling the smoke
yes, that is smoking
>>
>>446409
>The earliest historical evidence of anything resembling the smoking of cannabis was a description given by Herodotus of the Scythian's manner of burning cannabis in wool sacks over a cauldron filled with hot embers and covering it with a tepee and inhaling the smoke from the hole in the top

They must've gotten baked as fuck tbhfam
>>
>>447942
dude weed lmao
>The earliest historical evidence of anything resembling the smoking of cannabis
>>
> However, hemp has been reported from a cultural setting on Taiwan as long ago as 10,000 BC., and "[t]he earliest human use of Cannabis appears to have occurred in the steppe regions of Central Asia or in China."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashish
>>
>>446409
>Bhang

I've actually druken that before.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.