[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will nationalism ever return? Is the lack of conventional wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 530x340) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 530x340
Will nationalism ever return?

Is the lack of conventional wars among developed nations the cause of its absence?

>tfw live a meaningless canadacuck life where no one gives a hoot about the prestige and power of our nation
>>
Nationalism never went anywhere, a lot of Western countries today have big nationalist parties, and nationalist rhetoric has to be used to some extent by mainstream politicians. Even Lenin realised how deeply ingrained nationalism is into people's pysches, it's not just a 'bourgeios delusion' or whatever Marx said about it.

If you mean full blown inter-war levels of nationalism in the West, then I cant see that happening any time soon but who knows.
>>
>>441774
>>441500
And even without them nationalism is everywhere.
Even people who are not politically nationalist are still nationalist because they identify with and believe in the idea of a Nation and most people also believe their national myths, such as exceptionalism being the most common.

Spooky as fuck and it never went anywhere.
>>
>>441500
First, see this >>441785

Then, stop thinking nationalism means war. Nationalism in the 19-20th century was particularly bloody because it meant overthrowing a logic existing since the very first civilizations, "sorting out" demographics and lots of nations seeking emancipation. Now that that is over, I think the nationalist world order is ultimately more stable because it's not ever-growing like empires of the past. However, there's a certain danger to pushing for globalization and letting a big amount of immigrants in while the nationalist logic is still fundamental.

Also, Canada is a non-country.
>>
>>441500
The United States is pretty nationalist
oh sorry "patriotic"
>>
No, we have become too globalized. Nationalism now is just praising the same dead symbols, while we lose true national identity to the changing world. At best we can create Americanesqe civic pseudo-patriotism.
>>
>>441500
Nationalism is strong even today. It's maybe most visibly every 4 year during the olympics.

Identity politics, something that's afaik fairly special for just the US, could give am even bigger rise for "local patriotism" (I don't know the english word for it), where people are very patriotic not as much their country but the county or city they are from. This kind of minimalistic nationalism is arguably the most healthy one in the sense that it causes the least violence and death while promoting a cultural growth and sense of community among the people living there. Conflicts aren't solved trough violence but trough harsh negotiations and forced cooperation.
>>
>>441980
That's where I'm leaning towards myself.

It's becoming easier and easier to view the US Federal gov't as the far-away head of a wide empire whom we pay our tithes to. Once Federal power starts to slip I rather expect a fracturing of American culture making the US more akin to an actual Federation.

Also it's harder to relate to far-away or abstract things. Much easier to feel something for the cities you've lived in and the rivers you've crossed, we're already seeing a sort of tribalism in typical identity politics (gender, race, religion) it isn't hard to imagine something of a mini-nationalism to local States or Counties.
>>
>>441851
Globalisation and multiculturalism only really happens in the West though. China, India, Japan, middle east etc don't give a fuck about it.
>>
>>441500
check recent situation in Europe. There are many widely supported parties and movements with very nationalistic rhetoric.
>>
Nationalism was actually a mistake that has awoken the asians from their thosand years downtime.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.