[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Professor describes any slightly controversial statement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: okay.jpg (27 KB, 333x499) Image search: [Google]
okay.jpg
27 KB, 333x499
>Professor describes any slightly controversial statement or term as "troubled" and "dangerous", says "you might want to be careful with that" whenever a student uses a controversial word, explanation or theory

Is this good academia or bad academia?
>>
>>440878
How controversial are we talking here?

Is it "Trannies aren't as widespread as people think they are and the practice should be discouraged" controversial or "GAS THE KIKES, RACE WAR NOW" controversial?
>>
>be STEM autist in grad school
>in research ethics class
>professor is clearly a leftist tool
>nobody does any readings because we're busy with math and shit
>topic of the day is research misconduct
>I mention off-handedly that MLK plagarized his doctoral thesis, but he still accomplished a lot after that
>start getting dirty looks from across the aisle
>'oh lordy, how am I gonna get outta this one.'
>the professor is talking about how some Korean guy falsified data, and she says 'probably the culture of conformity contributed to his lab techs going along with it'
>I say 'I don't think it's fair to say they collaborated just because Koreans are conformist.'
>she turns red and goes full damage control mode

Phew, disaster averted. Now they think she's the racist..
>>
>>440878
Bad
>>
>>440878
Speaking as an academic, he's a woosy fucken cunt.

Particularly for using "troubled" or "dangerous."

It would help if you specified what discipline you're dealing with, but from the image I assume it is some kind of pissweak pomo sociology using "discourse" theory without understanding the least bit of how to fucking read an archive.

Theories, terms and perspectives are either legitimate, which means they're commensurable with the body of the discipline (even if commensurable in conflict), or they're illegitimate. You don't coax undergraduates towards disciplinarity by telling them they're troubled.
>>
>>440878
Let's not pretend education isn't glorified indoctrination.
>>
>a discussion, argument, or dialogue
>dangerous

waaah waaah waaaaaaah mommy he implied something negative about my race/gender/ethnicity/sexual orientation/weight/appearance/worldview waaaaah waaaahhh

fucking pussy faggots
>>
>>440878
It's shit
College level courses shouldn't entertain stupid conspiracy theories. He should just tell them to fuck off.
>>
>>440913
kek
nice save, anon
>>
Something can be dangerous as long as it can cause problems or harm. So it's sensible, although I would ask why.
>>
>>440913
Workplace conformity is not race specific.
>>
This has been somewhat common in some religion classes I've taken. Usually it's the Islamic Studies and Indigenous Religions folks who use that kind of terminology, though - the Buddhist Studies scholars just say whatever the hell they want and the Christian Studies folks teach their classes more like a dry but smart history lecture.
>>
>>440956
Her suggestion was clearly nationally bigoted.
The problem is the South Korean university system.
>>
Bad.

It's not a professor's job to coddle their students. If a fully grown adult is triggered by words, they're not truly an adult.
>>
>>440878
Ideally they would engage students intellectually instead of slapping them on the wrist
>>
>>440943

Don't you think it might be an overreaction?
>>
>>440979
Pedagogy means being able to draw forward a path for these non-adults in your compulsory humanities module for socially retarded engineers.
>>
definitely heard this sometimes in my undergrad class

just figure out what the prof wants and write and research what you want on your own time
>>
>make off the cuff statement about men committing more violent crimes than women (empirically true) during a class presentation
>prof takes me aside after, warns against troubling gender inferences
>>
>>441224
Cool story bro.
>>
>>440956
But anons statement made it seem she was suggesting that, thereby directing attention away from him, and covering himself.
>>
>>441225
this actually happened. Funnier still, it was an old white guy
>>
>>440878
Well, in all fairness students say some really dumb things. I recently was in class and my prof mentioned Steuben and spaghetti exploded out of my pockets as I (without missing a beat) said "oh, was that the gay guy?"

Now I'm no gay basher, I'm actually surprised he isn't flouted by them more often. He taught our troops shit that they should have already known, like proper hygiene. I mean, the guy wrote the military book that the US used for like the next 100 years.

But my prof took it very well and just kinda brushed the gay part off very professionally, and continued with his lecture like he should. I was actually sorta trying to spark a small discussion on the matter, but spaghettied all over the place.

Now that's besides the point that I think professors are too far under the gun when it comes to completely avoiding such issues. In my experience, great professor will share general consensus as well as his opinion, but he will make it very clear why he may be bias.
>>
>>440878
>itt /pol/acks who couldnt get into uni and displaying their rage against the imaginary academia machine
>>
>>441033
Not that guy, and I do personally think it's an overreaction, but in a world where chinks will watch another chink die without any attempt at saving them (because of lawsuits) it's pretty understandable.

>>441224
It's actually refreshing to see a professor discussing gender inferences regarding men. Women are so baabied in our society the next few generations are gonna be totally fucked.
>>
There isn't a single good thing about academia today
>>
>>441828
>jstor
Once again you've been proved wrong.
>>
>>441820

m8 there are very few people alive today who couldn't get into a university of some kind, just like there are very few people who couldn't get into the armed forces. many people abstain because of better judgment. I don't see the point in spending 5 figures to have some tossers pretend to give me an education I could have given myself with a 20 dollar library card

>>441832

>scholarly research catalog that is largely closed to the public despite much of the research having been publicly funded

yeah, no
>>
>>441837
>to give me an education I could have given myself with a 20 dollar library card
>scholarly research catalog that is largely closed to the public

Ponder the contradiction.
>>
>>441847

I didn't say that any of that scholarly research was particularly valuable. It's mostly dross outside the STEM fields.
>>
>>441837
Library card
Cost

You lost me. What?
>>
>>441850

non-ghetto libraries usually have different levels of membership with corresponding costs and perks, ranging from totally free to a few dollars a month
>>
>>441849
I think it is pretty clear that the education you gave yourself lacked any disciplinary methodology or theory.
>>
>>441837
Yep. /pol/ making up stories about college again.
>>
>>440878
>you might want to be careful with that

I'd drop the fucking course. Awful, patronising expression.
>>
>>441857
Not here in the civilised world.
>>
>>440878
>You might want to avoid this term, or else you'll end up arguing off-topic semantics with autists and ideologues for hours.

The aim is to avoid a problem that plagues any controversial discussion, even on 4chan and ESPECIALLY on /his/ (see: 'Dark Ages', 'we wuz kings', wehrmacht/confederacy apologists, etc.). I don't see the problem with this, honestly.
>>
>>442061
This.

I just view it as a professor giving you a heads-up that if you're going to go around saying something controversial you'd better be able to back it up.

Basically he's saying if you aren't going to pack more than a knife don't go to a gunfight. Pretty fair in my opinion.
>>
Controversial as in politically incorrect, or controversial as in it's not a settled issue?
Because if the latter, it's good advice. If your argument relies on some controversial issue, you either need to make sure other less controversial evidence also supports it, or demonstrate that (at least in your case) the controversial issue is as you claim.
>>
>>442089

I've heard this in the sense of either

Like a prof saying you might want to be careful with the term "Christian Fundamentalism" cuz it could be thought of as politically incorrect or whatever
>>
When will pol leave?
>>
>>442756
When you report their posts.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.