[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point in caring about history if it can be manipulated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1433737670027.jpg (58 KB, 933x521) Image search: [Google]
1433737670027.jpg
58 KB, 933x521
What's the point in caring about history if it can be manipulated? How can you tell whether or not what you read in history is true like how the media manipulates so much in modern days?
>>
>assume humans are inheritantly good
>discern porpaganda
>fill in the blanks upur self by understanding geopolitics of the time.
>>
>>440582
>that spelling
u drunk?
>>
>>440619
On phone
>>
>>440619
>u drunk?
he would have to be with the soul crushing disappointment that
>assume humans are inheritantly good
must bring
>>
A better question is does it matter.
>>
>>440570
Your concerns are the very reason why we should study history. Part of studying history is arguing over the proper way in which to understand/interpret various events. That necessarily entails critically engaging with dominant narratives.
>>
>>440570
It's only the highly specialized fields of history which are subject to manipulation or misinterpretation, everything else is fairly concrete. You might as well be asking what the purpose in caring about history at all is, though I should hope the benefits of studying history don't need any introduction.
>>
>>440660
>I should hope the benefits of studying history don't need any introduction
Maybe this isn't such a safe assumption.
Is it the old "learn from history or repeat it :DDD" thing?
>>
>>440669
Essentially, in spite of it being so platitudinous. History connects us with past cultures and civilizations; it's the study of the development of mankind, all of which has culminated into what we see around us in the present. It teaches us the origins of everything around us, and this knowledge can indubitably be applied to improve the future. In every other subject of study, and just in general, people have no reluctance to say that it's imperative to learn from prior successes and prior mistakes, yet when it pertains to history everyone groans and says "Oh, how cliché."
In studying the evolution of mankind, we study the evolution of the different cultures which surround us. It allows us to better understand the world, which I should hope is a top priority of everyone who is living. With a background in history, you understand why there's so much animosity between the Japanese and the Chinese, or between Russia and the Ukraine, or between the Balkans and the Balkans, which obviously is quite good knowledge to have when dealing with politics.
>>
>>440570
Because I have similar aims
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.