[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you learn during a history degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1446373469591.jpg (219 KB, 1273x1024) Image search: [Google]
1446373469591.jpg
219 KB, 1273x1024
What do you learn during a history degree?
>>
Everything was fine until the white man came.
>>
Everything was fine until Post-modernism came.
>>
In theory you can do anything with a history degree!
>>
>>433742
Depends on where you get your degree.
In principle, you learn the complex and inticate reasons the world turned out like it is, and from that you can extrapolate likely consequences of contemporary actions.
>>
>>433742
(UK)
Depends on where you go. My university offered a lot of choice after my first year which was a broad overview of history from the medieval period to the modern era, with a focus on Europe for the earlier medieval stuff.

Right now i've just finished modules on Anglo-Saxon England, France from the revolution to the first world war and British foreign policy from 1815 to the Suez Crisis.

It's all pretty interesting.In my first year the module we did on the holocaust was especially good, it's pretty funny watching deniers hash out the same arguments put forward by people like Irving.

>>433747
not this desu
>>
>>433747
>>433848
Everything was fine until the /pol/posters came.
>>
>>433874
>>433875

>implying this isn't what's in my uni history course
>>
>>433742
I'm doing a history BA in Italy
We have to do some core exams on (mostly) western history (Greek, Roman, Medieval, Modern and Contemporary History) plus a lot of exams on complementary or related subjects.
For example, I did Economic policy, Economic history of the pre-industrial world, Archivial studies, Moral philosophy, Human geography etc.

Every subject requires studying 4-8 books, the exam itself can be written or oral. Also, you can either attend the lectures or study on your own (which adds some books to the exam).
>>
>>433875
>Post-modernism
>Good
>>
>>435523

>waah waaaah why don't people believe my modernist ideas anymore
>>
>>433742

You basically learn history and historiography hand-in-hand.

Pretty much all of my modules were from ~1500 on, I think the Sengoku period was the earliest specific thing we studied. They were varied by themes that encompassed either different time periods over one area of study (eg, early modern Britain), or by different areas within the same theme (eg, revolutions through history).

I had modules that covered the US civil rights movement (1890 on), America (settlement to empire), revolutions and revolutionaries, Japan (Tokugawa to Hirohito), the UN, imperialism (1765 on) and some social and cultural history modules and some others I don't really remember. Basically every week was a new area of study within, so for things like the civil rights movement or Japan it was periods of important discourse or events, and in more broad ones like UN or revolutions it was essentially mini-modules like Russia/France/German/etc. or Korea/Yugoslav Wars/Rwanda/other shit.

We also had modules on oral (interview) and visual (art & visual documents) history to learn methodology, and many on historiography.

In terms of historiography itself, all of my modules expected it to be a fundamental part being addressed and underlined in any study, and at the end of the 3 years I have to say that it seems to me that a degree in history teaches far more about historiography and the understanding of the discipline than of the past (though I may be biased since my dissertation was historiographical).

The most important thing about the academic study of history is actually the study of the discipline itself in my opinion family, because the historical discourse throughout the ages and the philosophical, methodological, ontological, etc. issues are far more problematic and worth addressing than what history can say about the past.
>>
>>433742
I don't have a degree in history, but a friend of mine is getting one, and he says it's basically like an English degree with a lot of history classes tied in.

You learn how to write, cite, follow pointless rules regarding format, how to debate, present, rhetoric in general, and you get a lot of general knowledge from the classes themselves.

The degree itself is pointless unless you want to be a teacher, go to grad school or work in a field unrelated to history. Just saying.
>>
That multiculturalism and the US are to blame why Latin America are shitholes.

They only taught me the latter; I learned the former by deductive reasoning.
>>
Muh skills and sheet, subjects are pretty varied
>>
>>435963
Is your friend doing a bachelor or a master degree?
>>
>>433742
there are four major exams you have to pass for bachelor degree - middle ages, early modern, 19th and 20th century, everything is very European-centric, I had like only two classes focused on America (18th century and Civil war)
>>
>>433742
>actually wanting a degree in history
lol, no I just study for fun
>>
>>433874
Which university?
>>
>>438648
The information is not as freely available as you might think. Unless you've read 100 books on a particular topic, you'll not possess the same understanding of the subtleties of a topic as a history professor. Wikipedia will only get you so far.
>>
Got to travel the world on exchange.
Learned more in depth historiography, essay writing and study methods. I barely remember a fucking thing, though.
>>
File: 1432361347982.gif (2 MB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1432361347982.gif
2 MB, 256x192
>>433875
>still thinking that everyone is equal
>"i-i-its just-t /pol/!"
>>
>>441232
>>441232
Who are you quoting?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.