[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What could explain God's silence?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 19
File: Nietzsche187c.jpg (2 MB, 1956x2940) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187c.jpg
2 MB, 1956x2940
All of our (Abrahamic) religious texts come via the direct communication, or divine inspiration, from God to a very narrow selection of prophets. Why doesn't God communicate more broadly?

If we're to believe these scriptures, we must follow very specific requirements or suffer God's punishment.

These requirements are often contradictory. The only reason we have for believing them is faith, but we're warned against following 'false prophets.' The implication is that we should trust one second-hand message but not trust other second-hand messages.

God presumably would have the ability to communicate unambiguously with all (or many) of us to make his wishes clear. He seems to have told just a few people what he wanted and he seems to have told different variations of what he wanted to representatives in different parts of the world.

When I think of this from God's supposed point of view, it doesn't add up. When I think of it from the patriarchal need to regulate the actions of society, however, it makes perfect sense: do this, don't do that, don't worship any other gods and, most importantly, God told me to tell you.
>>
The fact that people made him up and nowadays people ask for proof whereas back then they did not.

That is literally it.
>>
>>431815
>What could explain God's silence?
God is not silent; he's just saying things that most people are in no mood to hear.

God is a /pol/ poster.
>>
>still no hard evidenced miracles
>>
File: zeitun.jpg (16 KB, 385x368) Image search: [Google]
zeitun.jpg
16 KB, 385x368
>>431865
I'm not a christfag or religious at all but this was interesting. Who's to say if these pictures are legit I guess.
>>
File: PurportedUFO2.jpg (137 KB, 608x905) Image search: [Google]
PurportedUFO2.jpg
137 KB, 608x905
>>431880
>>>/x/
>>
it seems like nothing can, then again there isn't a reason to have an answer if everything is taken on faith, unless you give a shit about honesty and the integrity of the books
>>
>>431865
The creation of the universe out of nothing was a miracle
>>
File: Mind_the_God.jpg (147 KB, 600x798) Image search: [Google]
Mind_the_God.jpg
147 KB, 600x798
>>431815

We filled in too many gaps.
>>
>>431969
>The creation of the universe out of nothing

Thats not what the big bang means m8.

Seriously, people keep thinking that somehow the big bang is the creation of the universe out of nothing (or a singularity), but it has nothing to do with it.
It just explains how the universe expanded very, very quickly from an incredibly dense and incredibly small point. What was before that small point were the universe existed, our current cosmology cant really know. We dont know if it came out of nothing or not. Nothing in the big bang is paranormal, or outside of physics.
>>
>>431815

>God presumably would have the ability to communicate unambiguously with all (or many) of us to make his wishes clear. He seems to have told just a few people what he wanted and he seems to have told different variations of what he wanted to representatives in different parts of the world.
>When I think of this from God's supposed point of view, it doesn't add up

Do you have an actual argument for this though? You've asserted it, but you've yet to argue it.

>Why doesn't God communicate more broadly?

We would have to be God to know that.

Consider the definition of God, does anything that you've mentioned entail a logical contradiction in regards to that definition ? If not then there is no problem here.
>>
>>431820
>The fact that people made him up and nowadays people ask for proof whereas back then they did not.
>That is literally it.

This.

Look at Islam and Mormonism, as an example.

Islam: "Hey guise I met an Angel in a cave!!!"
- Oh really!? Tell us more!

Mormons: "Hey guise, magic rocks, and Jesus was here in America!"
- Oh really!? Tell us more!

Totally ridiculous.

Examine the old, and new, testaments, and they're just as fucking stupid, and blatantly human fabrications.
>>
>>431815
God allows free choice.

You don't hit your brother when mother is looking.

>>431820
Ebin rejoinder
>>
>>432082
We routinely restrain or prevent people from doing evil. We lock them up, we hire cops to capture, stop, even shoot them if necessary. We regard it as a morally acceptable, even a morally obligatory thing to act in self defense or to come to someone else's aid when they are being victimized by another. We regard it as an unqualified good to set up institutions and procedures that prevent people from doing or wanting to do evil acts. And we know for a fact most evil is done in ignorance, and thus we strive to educate people as well as possible. We also punish and reward by many different means so as to encourage good and discourage bad behavior. If all this is good for us, even morally obligatory, and is not a "violation" of the free will of evil doers, it is absurd to say it is wrong for a god to do it, that it violates free will only when HE does it but not when WE do.

I have actually heard someone say "But God would do it too well!" Yes, they actually said that, even though it is absurd to think we can have a society that was too fair. One wonders, again, what heaven could possibly be like, or why we would want to go there, if there is such a thing as too nice a place to live. If heaven is better than this place, then God has no excuse not to make this place better, too. And even assuming there is such a thing as too much niceness and justice, who better to give us exactly the amount that is right, but an all-knowing, all-powerful, superintelligent being? Are we to say that we are already there, that more justice than we have now, more good than we have now, would be too much, would somehow take away our free will? If you really believe that, then you should oppose with fierce horror any attempt to improve crime control or prevention, or the justice system, or our medical system, or medical abilities and technologies, or any compassionate enterprise whatever, including soup kitchens and Doctors without Borders. For all these things would violate our FW
>>
File: shrug.png (15 KB, 299x200) Image search: [Google]
shrug.png
15 KB, 299x200
I tried asking this and all the responses I got were things like, "Don't try to put God in a box" or, "Humans can't comprehend the workings of God so you can't question it."
>>
File: 1445277681411.jpg (161 KB, 721x450) Image search: [Google]
1445277681411.jpg
161 KB, 721x450
>>432147
>>
>>432017
>big bang
Scientific theory is as idiotic as the Religious one
>>
>>432157
>>
>>431815
>He seems to have told just a few people what he wanted
He didn't tell anyone what He wanted.
All religion is a man made racket.
>>
>>432164
Churches are rackets, religion isn't.
>>
YHWH is a god of silence. He's the god you call out to when you are starving in the desert, and he responds by not responding.

When you make it back to civilization and see all the happy people worshiping gods of life and abundance. You become filled with jealousy and justify it by saying your god (who never spoke to you because he's a god of not existing) told you that having nice things is sinful.

Unfortunately all the YHWH worshipers killed most of the happy people (and too be fair, a lot of those happy people WERE preforming human sacrifice, turns out a whole year of prosperity for one dead kid is a pretty good deal) and now they run the world. Some of the YHWH worshipers have convinced themselves that they don't worship any god, but because YHWH is a god of not having nice things, they don't need to acknowledge him to do his work. As long as they are preventing other people from having nice things, they are doing YHWH's work.

The old gods still exist, but the people who can hear them, who would be shamans or prophets in other cultures, all get diagnosed with schizophrenia and locked in mental institutions. There is documented evidence that schizophrenics in non western cultures have less "demonic" hallucinations. If you need a scientific explanation, maybe your subconscious is capable of doing extra thinking for you, and only communicates with the rest of your brain via voices in your head. If you believe in gods or spirits, it will talk to you as a god or a spirit. YHWH worship on the other hand teaches that voices in your head are the devil trying to trick you. Because modern secular society is still based on christian culture, these voices are either ignored completely, or interpreted as demonic commands.
>>
File: the-boys2.jpg (278 KB, 825x970) Image search: [Google]
the-boys2.jpg
278 KB, 825x970
Kierkegaard had the only really good answer. He did believe God directly communicates with people but it's a very personal and subjective thing. Kierkegaard even though one's personal connection to God could allow them to do things that directly violated scripture. He saw traditional clergy activity as blocking one off to God, with the individual becomes a sheep to greedy or apathetic priests.
>>
>>432404
Kierkegaard's god would probably be considered a demon then. In both the classical sense and the more abrahamic "Tempt people to sin" kind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(classical_mythology)
>>
File: Bible.jpg (52 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Bible.jpg
52 KB, 600x450
He communicated directly because there was no (or a lack of) scripture back then.

Now there is a book, and His job is done as far as divine intervention is concerned, until the Second Coming of Christ.

This is how He chose to operate, His wisdom is way beyond our capability of understanding. He ordained human history before He even made the world.
>>
>>431815
Maybe the universe is fucking infinitely massive filled with infinite civilizations and God is fucking busy yo. He doesn't have time for your needy existential crises here on planet number 8568392018392849302839456721668322399641
>>
>>432493
Continued.

God is outside of time. He made time, space and matter. We are in His creation and stuck in time. The present is now, the past has happened and the future is yet to happen.

To God, He sees the past, present and future. There simply is no time for Him. He is outside of His own creation.

6000 years of human history is nothing to Him.
After divine revelations made it into scripture, He doesn't need to repeat Himself.

There is a book, and that's where you get to know Him.

"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." - John 20:29

We live in a different dispensation. The Church/Grace era where Faith is important.

The era of Israel and the Mosaic Law is over, we don't need God's direct communications because
1. Jesus fulfilled the law
2. Scripture is now readily available
>>
>>432467
Kierkegaard really has his own version of Christianity. He's definitly not a bible-thumping Protestant goofball. He doesn't even view sin in the same sense as everyone else, sin is actually just a consequence of nihilistic despair and weak personal character. He also believes that no one will go to hell, that God and the ultimate believer (the Knight of Faith) are not bound by the concepts of good and evil, and that attempts to prove God exist are just a sign of weak faith. Rather than trying to come up with some proof for God or disprove other religions he bases his whole case on faith and says we will see God through the actions of true believers.

While a lot of Christians borrow his concept of focusing on faith and not caring about trying to 'prove' God, the full Kierkegaard cannon is highly hetrodox. He's more like a philosophical mystic that uses the bible as allegory . He's kind of like what would happen if Nietzsche was a Christian, since the Knight of Faith has a lot in common with the Ubermench.
>>
>>432516
How do you explain Muslims then. Is Muhammad wrong?
>>
>>431815
Think of God more as an entity.

Personally, I believe God inspires certain capabilities within one. For example, if someone were to pray to be more alert one day, he would be more alert.

However, you're missing the main points of Christianity. God's message is probably the most important of Christianity, I daresay. Doing works of charity, being humble, egalitarianism, and piety: those are the main ideas of Christianity. As such, they are the topics that should be debated.
>>
>>432528

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll0otULYzms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChNz-i3UYxQ
>>
>>432521
Sounds interesting, gonna have to check him out. I love me some Nietzsche, but it's hard to explain him to people without sounding like an edgelord. If I could use him to get more christfags into existentialism, that would be fun.
>>
>>432361
Explain more plz.
>>
>>431969
But was it a miracle that had as objective the creation of some bald apes in a tiny, isolated galaxy or was God just bored?
>>
>>432545
>bald apes
Adam and Eve were not bald.

They were much superior to us, can you imagine the original human? Bigger, stronger, smarter and lived to be hundreds of years old.

>galaxy
The universe shows God's grandeur and power.
>>
>>432534

Right...

Except for the fact that if you had been born a Greek in ancient Greece, you wouldn't believe any of the bullshit you believe now, but instead would have been a polytheist believing in Greek bullshit.

Or perhaps you were born an Aztec, then you'd believe in some other bullshit.

It's time to leave the fairy tales behind.
>>
>>431815
MUH

MYSTERIOUS

WAYS
>>
>>432568
1+1 has many answers, but only one is correct.

>hurr there are too many religions, therefore all of them are wrong!1!1!
>>
>>432568
What does any of that have to do with what I said?

I am simply saying that the philosophical aspects of Christianity (and other religions) should be observed more so than the misunderstood poetic language of religious texts.
>>
>>432562
>The universe shows God's grandeur and power.

"God's" grandeur?

Is this the same "god" that made Adam without even realizing that the motherfucker might be lonely by himself in the garden of eden? The same "god" that had to be begged by Adam to make him a companion?

Sounds like a moron to me.
>>
>>432575
Right.

But NONE of those answers are "god" or "gods", any more than they are the tooth fairy, easter bunny, or Santa Claus.
>>
>>432581
>I am simply saying that the philosophical aspects of Christianity (and other religions) should be observed more so than the misunderstood poetic language of religious texts.

Fair enough.

No need to make up invisible creatures to not be a shitbag, though.
>>
>>432582
>I don't understand it therefore you're dumb!!

You're trying to fit something omnipotent, omniscient and eternal into your tiny brain with only 5 senses.
>>
File: Twei god of carrots.jpg (636 KB, 862x936) Image search: [Google]
Twei god of carrots.jpg
636 KB, 862x936
Typically the cop-out response is "You can't understand god's logic"
I believe that most Semites have not considered that their god may not be as powerful, knowledgeable, or caring as he claims to be.
>>
File: buddha.jpg (593 KB, 2556x1767) Image search: [Google]
buddha.jpg
593 KB, 2556x1767
>>432592
Think of it in this sense: higher powers

Everybody has a higher power in life, no matter what it might be. For example, one's higher power might be a deity or it may be their own pride.

However, there is one high power we all have: Yahweh, Allah, the universe, Brahma, etc.

No matter what you believe, you must that some entity has to be the reason for our existence. Scientific people have a much more dull, rigid view of this fact, allowing for no deeper questioning of said entity. Religions offer this deep questioning, yet unfortunately many religious people forget the importance of this deep questioning and thought.

Atheists, mainly internet ones, have autism. This autism prevents them from being able to ponder and interpret the previously mentioned entity. As such, they simply dismiss anything to do with this deity as "fairy tales", unless it comes from 'science'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2039690/Atheism-autism-Controversial-new-study-points-link-two.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-hutson/autism-atheism_b_1557098.html
>>
File: 1449774038880-0.jpg (88 KB, 804x452) Image search: [Google]
1449774038880-0.jpg
88 KB, 804x452
It's simple really, your pineal gland is calcified.
>>
>>432601
>No need to make up invisible creatures to not be a shitbag, though
My hypothesis is correct: atheists are too autistic to interpret religious texts

Religion (mainly Christianity) is meant to describe human nature in a poetic way.

For example, Adam and Eve is a parable about human nature. Humans are initially peaceful and have no problem with being one with the world. However, satan (human desires) convinces Eve to eat the fruit. Eve then convinces Adam to follow suit.

If you pay attention to history, you'll find that women often drive men to go against what's right, and that many harmful actions are driven by hedonistic desires. These desires are, often, unfulfilling. On that topic, Adam and Eve's banishment from Eden show just how unfulfilling desires can be. For example, you eat like, you get fat. You masturbate too much, your testosterone lowers. You choose to slouch your whole lift, you end up having terrible posture.

Religion is a means of explaining human nature. Fundamentalists and atheists are on the same side of the coin when they oppose this.
>>
>>432686
>You choose to slouch your whole lift, you end up having terrible posture.

Snap city, should have listened to Zyzz brah
>>
>>432540
I can't believe I just wasted over 20 minutes watching that first video. You're kidding yourself if you think I'm going to watch an hour and a half of more of this shit.

Accept the fact that all of your religions are man made. God is beyond the knowledge of man. Christians are wrong. Muslims are wrong. But they are both right.
>>
>>432686
So I guess the vast majority of the human population is just doing it wrong, right? Nobody is actually supposed to worship god or slay kuffar, they're just supposed to interpret all that stuff as a metaphor for bettering themselves?
Call up the pope and tell him.
>>
>>432668
No. Experiencing religious ecstasy via those means does not make an atheist believe.

source - personal anecdote
>>
>>432699
Refer to this: >>432657
I am a Christian myself, yet I am more spiritualistic in my beliefs.

I think everyone should try it.
>>
>>432709
Sorry m8, but you're not a Christian. You're following your own set of beliefs that is loosely based on Christianity.
>>
>>432715
So Protestantism?
>>
>>432656
It's not a "cop-out response". It's a valid argument.

You can't understand everything there is to know, stop being so bitter and jaded.

The created will always not fully understand the creator.

God is outside of the box (He made the box). We live inside the box, all of our understanding and knowledge is only about the inside of the box.
>>
>>432686
Adam and Eve is an attempt to slander other regions and shame people into worshiping the god of not having nice things. Most of the bible boils down to "Don't be Babylonian." All the parts that seem weird to us such as not wearing "Mixed fabrics." suddenly make sense when you realize that they are specifically banning the religious practices of other tribes the YHWH worshipers opposed.

The tree and the serpent are common figures in shamanistic religions. They serve to give people things they need such as food or knowledge of medicine/poison.
By making woman come from man (even though all men come from their mothers) and making everything Eve's fault, they slander femininity. And by turning "The gods love you and want you to have nice things" into "You shouldn't want nice things." they scare people into worshiping a malevolent god.

Modern atheism is just an expression of these bad ideas that people simply take for granted.

>>432715
Good for him, Christianity is a horrible religion. We should be worshiping Astarte and Baal. You might know them in their corrupted forms as Mary and Jesus.
>>
>>432720
>let's worship Satan instead of the Creator!
Go ahead, retard.

As for your last sentence, that only applies to Roman Catholicism - not Biblical Christianity.
>>
>>432715
>Sorry m8, but you're not a Christian.
Tell that to the Orthodox bros. That's where I initially learned of Christian spiritualism.

Also, I am a Christian. I believe Christ was crucified, died, and rose on the third day to free us from our sins. I believe He will come back again as well. However, I do believe that the Bible should be interpreted.
>>
>>432727
The one you call Satan is a creator. YHWH is a god of non creation, he is worshiped by barbarians who destroy everything that is good about the world.

I agree the roman catholic church isn't "Real" Christianity. In many parts of the world it's crypto ancestor worship, but that only serves to make them slightly less toxic. The New atheists on the other hand, in many ways they are a purer extension of Christianity. The best way to worship a god of non existence is to deny that he exists at all.
>>
>>432727
Except he really isn't the creator since the creator fails to explain slight details such as everything that happened prior to 6000 years ago.
>>
File: no fro me.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
no fro me.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>432720
>and making everything Eve's fault, they slander femininity.
>>
>>432744
Did the Creator say that He created the world 6000 years ago?
>>
>>432744
That's because human history is about 6000 years old, retard.
>>
>>431815
You're begging the question. You assume god is silent and then ask why he is. If you were sincere about listening you would probably keep an open mind about all possibilities which include /x/ /pol/ and /Christian/ tier stuff.

If you assume materialism and naturalism then you will disbelieve all supernatural claims on the basis that they are supernatural.

If they weren't supernatural, you could explain it with science and thus you wouldn't attribute it to God.
>>
>>431815
Do you can call to the President François Hollande?.
>>
>>432719
>It's a valid argument.
Nah. The "argument" is an expected result of fabricated tales having logical inconsistencies.
>>
>>432751
I don't know what he supposedly said, I just know what the people working for him claim.
>>
File: NT.jpg (1 MB, 3508x2480) Image search: [Google]
NT.jpg
1 MB, 3508x2480
These are the facts (taking into account what ALL ancient cultures and civilizations talk about that support the Bible):

There is a Creator/God.

There is a race of angels/aliens or "lesser" gods, beings superior to us. Ambassadors if you will.

One of these angels rebelled against the Creator and became known as the Adversary, Accuser, Rebel or Satan the Devil. He was thrown out of heaven and he became the ruler of the world (Fall in Genesis, origin of sin, etc).

The "adversary" to the creator is known by many names in pagan civilizations: Baal, Molech, Prometheus, Baphomet, etc. The point is that man has worshipped Satan since he is the "god" of this world as the Bible says.

Christians or the ancient Israelites were the exception, they worshipped One True God, the Creator, not the usurper Satan who seeks to dethrone God.

Satan creates many religions, doctrines and ideologies in an attempt to drag as many people to hell with him as possible (he knows his time is short).
>Counterfeit religions
Catholicism, Islam, Mormonism, etc
>New Age "ye shall be as gods!" crap
Eastern Mysticism, Buddhism, Hinduism
>Religion for the secular heathens
Evolutionism, Darwinism, Nihilism, Atheism.

The more you study and research the world, history, philosophy and theology, the more the Bible appears to be true.

Satan's agenda is being perpetuated by the elite who worship him, various occult societies such as the Illuminati, Freemasons, Luciferians, Talmudists, Kabbalists and even the Vatican.

tl;dr: Jesus Christ is LORD & SAVIOUR.
He alone is the way to Heaven.
He is the Way, Truth and Life.
>>
Lack of competition.

God basically has a monopoly on godhood now.
>>
You know that feeling you get when talking to a stupid person? When you simply keep quiet because he won't understand it anyway?

That's how it is with God.
Our sin separates us from Him.
>>
>>432797
Bull shit.

Your "Creator" god is nothing but a usurping tyrant that took over when one tribe of desert nomads gave into despair. He's been working to undo everything that makes humanity great ever since.

YHWH is the adversary. Literally every other god (except the lack of any god) is better than him.
>>
>>432797
>dude desert people lmao
>>
>>432797
Theists are becoming as deranged as /x/philes at this point
>>
>>432817
>Literally every other god (except the lack of any god) is better than him.

Yes, let's go back to sacrificing children to underworld gods, drinking blood and having sex with animals.

Because that's what your pagan gods (fallen angels/demons) want you to do.
>>
>>432829
>"I don't understand it therefore it's stoopid!" meme
>>
>>432841
I understand. It's stupid.
>>
File: moloch.jpg (67 KB, 419x575) Image search: [Google]
moloch.jpg
67 KB, 419x575
>>432832
All that stuff sounds really fun. Not sure what your problem is.
>>
>>432727
Catholics made your Bibles, without them you Protestants would be reading Gnostic heresies and call them holy.
>>
>>432792
>the people working for him
Does the Creator give them a wage?
>>
>>432832
Christianity is in no way superior, it makes killing just as justified.
>>
>>432851
The bait of eternal life and being apart of the 3rd Estate is the wage of all theologians.
>>
>>432845
The banal mix of a totem of cow with a totem of human. Guess, they were cattle-raisers.
>>
>>432832
Actually yes. Better than the spiritual void YHWH enforces.

>>432860
And of course, the YHWH worshipers depict their god as nothing at all. Because they create nothingness. Atheism didn't come out of nowhere brah. A religion based on cattle is at least a religion which feeds people.
>>
>>432847
Manuscripts were in circulation before the "canonization", retard.

Catholics compiled the Bible, they didn't write the scripture.

And I find it ironic you're talking about Gnostic heresies when it's Catholicism that relies on Alexandrian and Siniaticus manuscripts rather than the Textus Receptus. Egypt was a hotbed of Gnostic heresies and that's where your Catholic modern Bibles come from.

You also stuff pagan traditions and philosophy into Christianity.
>>
>>432875
Better than some bitter fuck in the 16th century deciding to make themselves the one who knows the "right" way to interpret the bible.

Catholics have 3 splinters over millennia. Protestant have shattered any form of unity in Christianity with their splinters and reinterpretation.
>>
>>432897
Protestants and Muslims are closer to the "Real" biblical Christianity though. The ROMAN Catholic church if left to it's own devices will slowly repair the damage done by the Galileans 2000 years ago.
>>
>>432854
>it makes killing just as justified.

>Thou shall not kill
>>
>>432841
>Anyone who disagrees with me is just too ignorant to see that I'm right
>>
>>432897
>hurr Luther founded your religion
True Christians have always existed, they predate the Roman Catholic church.

>Waldensians
>Cathars
>Nestorians
etc.
These are names given by the RCC. They referred themselves as 'brothers' or Christians. The Papacy called them heretics and burned them at the stakes.

Your "church" is responsible for the death of over 50 million Bible-believing Christians. How very Christ-like of you to murder so much.

As for splinters, you need to realize what a "Church" or Ecclesia is.

Church = Body of Christ (all believers)
church = local communion of Christians

Paul set up local churches ruled by local elders, this is how God ordained it in Acts.

Apostolic succession/1 giant monolithic church is unscriptural. You base your entire religion on 1 verse taken out of context. It's laughable.

Constantine's conversion wasn't even genuine. Rome simply took on the Christian flavour for political and power reasons.

Get out of her.
>>
>>432926
So in other words christfags are also hypocrites.

It's better to worship a god of war than a god which tells you not to kill one day, and then tells you to commit genocide the next. Christian "Love" is a sham.
>>
>>432993
You're confusing Catholicism with Christianity.

Catholics kill, Christians love.
>>
>>432797

>The more you study and research the world, history, philosophy and theology, the more the Bible appears to be true.

uh huh... Like how homosexuality should be punished? The logical issues with an omnipotent god? The moral issues with a god of similar qualities?
>>
>>432995
Not all Catholics are Christians, but all Catholics that kill are Christians.

Catholicism is an institution, under which many diverse and often contradictory beliefs shelter. Christianity is one of them, and they use/abuse it's power structure to more effectively kill others, even as other Catholics work to preserve the things their fellow Christians would destroy.

It was Catholics who preserved the knowledge of western civilization, and Christians who would destroy it given the chance.

>in b4 untrue Scotsman, If your religion is based on excluding all other beliefs, than only somebody who works to exclude other beliefs can be called a member of that religion.
>>
>>432937
This guy is right and why protestants are retarded. They're naive practitioners, unlike based people like Constantine. Thanks to them people saw religion as a farce.
>>
God is not beyond the realm of science. When that day comes, all superstition will be destroyed.
>>
File: vatican.jpg (470 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
vatican.jpg
470 KB, 1920x1200
>>432995
And yet the Vatican has been standing for hundreds of years, while your backwards denomination of Protestantism will be dead in the century.
>>
>>433124
t. cult leader
>>
>>433245
Gladiator games in the Colosseum lasted a long time, but they weren't eternal. Why should the Colosseum of boyfucking games be eternal?
>>
>>433252
OOOOOHHH!!!

Someone should tell Nero because Rome just got BURNED
>>
>>433252
Even if they're not eternal, they still would have contributed a lot more, if only by dumping money into the Renaissance, then Protestantism ever has, Hell, the best thing about Protestantism is how weak it was, so scientists could do their thing for the most part. Protestantism makes everything it touches worse, including Catholism, which went from based to Counter Reformation.
>>
>>432657
>he believes science is about taking the fun out of the world
No wonder you're so upset about matters of truth and just handwave.
>>
>>433252
I think we should bring boyfucking and gladiator matches back. Time and time again it's been demonstrated that that's what people want. The fact that they ended at one point shouldn't devalue the fact that they were a very stable institution.

>>433245
Ba'al's penis. Catholicism is stable despite Christianity not because of it. It's managed to maintain power by preserving paganism. It should stop pretending to worship a god of nothingness and embrace the glorious truth of existence.
>>
>>433264
Our kingdom is not of this world.

We Christians (what you call "Protestants") actually follow Christ's teachings.

You Catholics care more about what the secular heathens think of you rather than what God thinks of you.
>>
>>432719
You can't say that you yourself understand and that the other person cannot.

If you do know, show the proof. If you don't know, then you have to concede that you don't know shit.
>>
>>433271
I'm not a Catholic, I just recognize just how much better they are.
>>433268
They used it as a tool. You don't get people to pay tithes just so they can go to pretty churches, they want an afterlife.
>>
>>431815
Your OP is absurd to me. God is in and beyond silence. As Krishna says to Arjuna in the Bhagavad Gita: "These things are in me, but I am not they."

Why does God speak to only certain people. Well God is beyond the need to speak, but speech emanates from the nature of God. You're ascribing human qualities to a principle forever beyond anything human. You're also assuming anybody can be spoken to, which is true in a sense, since within everyone is the divine spirit, but very few are of the consciousness necessary to percieve God in the world. You earn the right for revelation by doing the inner work, and purifying your consciousness. You aren't pulled aside one morning and told things by a disembodied voice. It is an internal realization. Don't be a simpleton.

It is also believed by gnostics that the YHWH of the old testament is not the God Christ referred to. Very very different approaches in how they did things.

Read more on the subject. The teachings of Jesus is the essence of Christianity, not the jewish YHWH. The parables are full of wisdom to thosewoth earsto hear. Study mystic or gnostic christianity or even orthodox Christianity.
>>
>>432935
Yep, what we're seeing here is a genuinely closed mind. They're kind of fascinating to me for some perverse reason - they may be religion lovers, or political purists, or whatever, but they're totally impervious to reason in their complete certainty that anyone who doesn't see things their way is genuinely stupid.

It's hard not to just keep poking at them in fascination.
>>
>>431865
Sokółka.
>>
File: Silence_novel.jpg (29 KB, 256x390) Image search: [Google]
Silence_novel.jpg
29 KB, 256x390
tl;dr
>>
>>432799
How so? Christianity is less than half of the population, and even that is split such that only half of Christians are Catholic
>>
>>435044
You all worship YHWH don't lie.
>>
>>435155
Yahweh? He's part of a polytheistic caananite religion
>>
>>436126
>>435155
Yahweh simply means "Lord" in Hebrew you retarded fucks.

Stop being obsessed about words and start looking at what they mean/refer to.

YHWH/Adonai/Logos/God = Creator

Satan/Baal/Prometheus/Molech = Adversary
>>
>>436172
>Yahweh simply means "Lord" in Hebrew you retarded fucks.
Um, I think you mean Adonai you fucking inbred sisterfucking dirty goy.

Elohim/Elohei are generic forms of God, derived from the Boblylonian god El. Allah is literally the arab version of Elohei.
>>
>>436172
Nope, yahweh is the Lord of the armies
>>
>>432404
>Kierkegaard had the only really good answer. He did believe God directly communicates with people but it's a very personal and subjective thing. Kierkegaard even though one's personal connection to God could allow them to do things that directly violated scripture. He saw traditional clergy activity as blocking one off to God, with the individual becomes a sheep to greedy or apathetic priests.

I haven't read too much Kierkegaard, but this sounds very similar to what the Quakers believe. They hold that everyone has a bit of the Holy Spirit inside them and that God speaks, quietly and directly, to each person. This is part of the reason why they have no clergy.
>>
>confusing religion with scripture

dropped
>>
>What could explain God's silence?

Literally the Bible. In case you forgot, Jesus became the life-giving spirit. With Jesus having dispensed himself into us, what use is God speaking to us from the outside, when his plan to reunite us with him is already coming to an end?
>>
>>436755
Millenarian swine
>>
For me God is sped up, it goes by twice as fast to him, he helps minorly sometimes for pity but other times he fucks with us it's funny, does anyone else believe he has his own alcohol?
>>
>>431815

Narrow is the way, and few find it.

How many people do you think are listening?
>>
>>432147
>God moves in mysterious ways bro
>if you could prove it then it wouldn't be called FAITH would it? :^)
>it is beyond our human understanding
>>
>>432062
Here's the thing about Muhammad though. Muhammad prayed in that cave for about 20 years or something before the first revelations came. If you were making a fake religion, why would you wait until you are 40 before you start preaching the revelations? Also consider the average life-span back then.
>>
>>432062
Paul "Hey guide I met Jesus on the road"
-Oh really?! Tell us more!

*Writes 50% of the bible
>>
>>438131
Read it
>>
>>431815
God died on the cross for our sins, now he is no more. A dead being can't answer questions.
>>
>>438874
Very excellent book for anyone that still thinks Acts has any historical value
>>
>>433017
>Not all Catholics are Christians
what
>all Catholics that kill are Christians.
what

I can tell if half the shit said on this disgusting trash board is serious and you people are legitimately retarded, or if it's all one big bait scheme
>>
A few days back someone posted a study that seemed to imply that theists find atheists unsettling and associate them mentally with lack of meaning and death.

Maybe people that hear the silence are people that are not so uncomfortable with the lack of divine meaning.
And then there are others that hear something breaking the silence.

Faith is an accepted insanity. Some people hear a little voice, some don't.
The real question is, since there is no objective feedback from a God, why are we accepting the insanity.
>>
>>440475
>A few days back someone posted a study that seemed to imply that theists find atheists unsettling and associate them mentally with lack of meaning and death.

Link please.
All of my searches have resulted some atheists bitching how they are discriminated against.
>>
>>432502
Then god is not infinite, and is not actually god.

>god left long ago
>just angels playing telephone switches with people's minds
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.