[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Everything that we know and love is reduceable to an absurd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 1448424869903.png (234 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
1448424869903.png
234 KB, 540x405
>Everything that we know and love is reduceable to an absurd act of chemicals, and there is therefore no intrinsic value in anything

Debate me
>>
DUPLICATE THREAD

>>429824
>>
File: Autism_Awareness_Ribbon.png (385 KB, 1000x1620) Image search: [Google]
Autism_Awareness_Ribbon.png
385 KB, 1000x1620
>>429850
>>
>>429854
That thread is shitty. OP talks about being an organic computer- SUDDENLY, we should no longer believe in the esoteric.

This is a less schizophrenic thread.
>>
>>429850
Right, there is no intrinsic value.
However, you assign the value yourself.
If you don't think life has a meaning, it's because you don' think so, not because it fundamentally "doesn't have any".
It really is as simple as that.

>>429863
he's right though
>>
>>429850
Why would I debate you when you're correct?
>>
>>429850
True, there's no "intrinsic" value in anything because "value" isn't a thing that can be intrinsic. Humans are the ones who assign value to everything.
>>
>>429850
Donald you stupid fuck
>>
>>429850
Intrinsic value has no value
>>
>>429850
Quite right, tune in, drop out, study multiscale modeling
>>
If everything is just chemicals, kill yourself, for your life has no value and you have no reason to live.
If you don't wish to kill yourself, then you place some intrinsic value on life or your continued existence and your claim is false.
>>
Thinking a physical description of mental phenomena proves materialism is like saying evolution proves there is no God. A description of physical events proves/disproves nothing, it is only a description.

Until we can account for the self awareness of these chemicals constantly harping about muh life is naught but atoms and empty space *doffs cap* is just stating the obvious. Wow, we're made of matter, no shit
>>
>>429850
But that's an ultra simplified version of the story. It's also about how they, proteins fats specific chemicals, align themselves in ways that allow them to channel just the right amount of electricity and use that to communicate across your body. Feedback loops on feedback loops. Each cell having its own metabolism and purpose. You're basically a massive colony of little tiny creatures that want to be alive. Not to mention all the bacteria inside of you.

I'm living for them. Those little gits need me
>>
>>429919
>then you place some intrinsic value on life
>>
>>429984
Is that some weak criticism of my writing, rather than of what I said?
>>
>>430002
>you place
>intrinsic

Not that anon, but that does not compute.
Also, kill yourself because life is meaningless is a shit rhetoric. Life is not reliant on meaning, nor has it ever been, apart from when someone stupid makes that point.
>>
>>430015

Not the guy you're replying to either, but do you really think that life isn't reliant on meaning? I'd agree that it's not reliant on intrinsic meaning, but surely people who find no meaning in living (either for the sake of their friends/family, or what have you) would just kill themselves
>>
>>430015
>>you place
>>intrinsic
>Not that anon, but that does not compute.

What about it doesn't make sense? If OP doesn't want to kill himself, then he places some value on life, for whatever reason that may be, even though be rationalises that all things have no inate value. You can't accept that all things have no value and yet still possess a reason to live.

>Also, kill yourself because life is meaningless is a shit rhetoric. Life is not reliant on meaning, nor has it ever been, apart from when someone stupid makes that point.

I never said anything about meaning, though. Only the worth of things.

But just to entertain your thoughts, can life have meaning without value, though? Can life have value without meaning?
>>
>>430032
when a baby is born, what meaning does it know of? did it bring itself into life because it liked meaning?

You, at many point in your life, lived without meaning. Did you evaporate during those times?

People live without meaning. Consciously or unconsciously.

It's a heck of a jump to get to kill yourself from 'nothing has intrinsic value'.
>>
>>430072
If OP believes life has no value because everything is chemical, then OP would have no issue with ending himself, because he couldn't argue against ending his life without contradicting his argument in the process
>>
>>430071
>If OP doesn't want to kill himself, then he places some value on life

CITATION NEEDED.

Perhaps he is hardwired by impulses and intuition to preserve his life, and while not conscious of a meaning of living, these impulses act regardless. That he feels positive and negative sensations from living, and can do so without meaning, makes it stupid that he should kill himself.

I'm starting to think the people who keep saying "no meaning, kill yourself" are just secretly suicidal retards.
>>
>>429850
>no intrinsic value
Ok.
Well, you have awareness of the situation, so what now?

>debate me
If you're right, would there be any value in debating?

As far as intrinsics go, I'd say that's just what those chemicals tell you has value.
Somehow, posting this and requesting a debate is valuable to you, and you're certainly not being paid for it...
>>
File: das it mane.png (454 KB, 414x499) Image search: [Google]
das it mane.png
454 KB, 414x499
>>429965
This nigga knows what's up.
>>
>>430084
VALUE, nigga, we're talking about the VALUE of life. NOT the meaning.
>>
File: 227.jpg (15 KB, 149x255) Image search: [Google]
227.jpg
15 KB, 149x255
Because what you experience as a human isn't "a bunch of chemicals".

Humans don't think in terms of atoms and molecules, we think in terms of meaning.

Because you can reduce humans to base elements doens't make your experiences any lessor or greater.
>>
>>430274
Same shit.

Take the post and replace any instance of 'meaning' with 'concept of value'.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.