[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I see people referencing "western europe" or "southern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13
File: europe_map_political[1].gif (90 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
europe_map_political[1].gif
90 KB, 1280x1024
I see people referencing "western europe" or "southern europe". I think its beneficial to agree on what those mean.

So if you will, take a map (I have provided one we can use) and graph according to borders, culture, ethnicity, whatever means you think appropriate, where the borders of these areas are:
>western Europe
>central Europe
>northern Europe
>southern Europe
>eastern Europe
>>
File: blank_europe_map.gif (209 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
blank_europe_map.gif
209 KB, 1280x1024
/thread
>>
File: map.gif (347 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
map.gif
347 KB, 1280x1024
>>429289
>no central europe
>poland is eastern
>balkan is eastern

I am not sure that fits. Central Europe seems to me distinct enough, with Germany, Poland, Switzerland and Austria having different culture and values from the people east and west of them.
>>
File: europe.png (146 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
europe.png
146 KB, 1280x1024
This projection makes Kazakhstan look way bigger than it should.
Southern Europe is a bit too big but whatever.
>>
>>429278
On phone but to me
>Western Europe
France, Iberia, Switzerland
>Central Europe
Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Louxemburg, Austria
>Northern Europe
UK, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland
>Southern Europe
Italy, Greece, Cyprus
>Eastern Europe
Czech Republic Poland, Baltics, Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Romania, Moldova, Slovakia, Hungary, Balkans
>>
>>429293
Remove Russia from Europe and it's perfect.
>>
>>429290
Central Europe is a term made up by Poles with superiority complex trying to relate themselves to Germany.
>>
>>429300
Seeing how the birth place of Germany is in Poland now, as is most of Prussia, I can see why.
>>
>>429300
>Not knowing where Central Europe term comes from

It stems from Mitteleuropa concept of German imperialism.
>>
File: germany.png (165 KB, 678x703) Image search: [Google]
germany.png
165 KB, 678x703
>>429300
>>429308
In that context Central Europe stands for Land We Should Conquer.
>>
>>429278
Eastern Europe is anything east of Germany and Austria and North of Greece, excluding turkey and Finland + Scandinavia.
Western Europe is anything west of Germany, Austria, and Italy including those three and excluding north Africa and Scandinavia.
Southern Europe is anything South of France,Switzerland, Austria,Czech republic, and Poland. Still excluding turkey sans Constantinople.
Northern Europe is British isles plus Scandinavia. This includes Iceland.
Central Europe is basically anything that was in the hre sans france. So Germany, Czech, Austria. Switzerland. Low countries, Italy. Maybe Poland.
>>
>>429297
Not all of Russia is European, but the part shown on the map is.
>>
Here's essentially the most objective map of those regions.
But there will always be variations and contentions, OP.

At any rate these rules usually always apply:
>Poland is always included in Central Europe
>France is always included in Western Europe
>South-Western Europe is usually just Spain and Portugal
>Southern Europe is otherwise Italy, Greece, and island countries
>South-Eastern Europe is usually from beneath Slovenia to above Greece, to the Black Sea
>Northern Europe is always, objectively Scandinavia and Iceland, but sometimes includes England
>>
>>429300
Get out you geographically illiterate mongoloid.
>>
>>429316
Its strange to divide Romania and Moldova, seeing how they have the same culture and ethnicity, and to an extend history.
Many people dont realize Moldova exists, and consider it part of Romania by default.

Also I find Slovenia to be closer to Germany and Austria than to the Southern Slavs, and Croatia to be closer to Italy than to the Southern Slavs.
>>
>>429313
>Eastern Europe is anything east of Germany and Austria
Wrong.
>Southern Europe is anything South of France,Switzerland, Austria,Czech republic, and Poland. Still excluding turkey sans Constantinople.
Not necessarily.
>Northern Europe is British isles plus Scandinavia. This includes Iceland.
Varies.
>Central Europe is basically [...] Low countries, Italy.
Not really, no.
>Maybe Poland.
Definitely Poland.
>>
>>429315
I'd argue about culture since I think Russia is an Asian country with a fair amount of European influences akin to Turkey but I'm too tired.
>>
File: yuro.png (170 KB, 1278x1018) Image search: [Google]
yuro.png
170 KB, 1278x1018
>>429278
Red: Western Europe
Blue: Northern Europe
Purple: Southern Europe
Green: Eastern Europe

Red highlights: technically also Western Europe in my eyes
Yellow highlights: Central Europe
>>
>>429342
So you just think of Europe as something created during the Cold War?
>>
not only do they overlap and/or have different meanings in different fields (geography x cold war politics)
but you also need to specify what period you are talking about
>>
>>429344
Not really, but the East vs West distinction is ingrained enough that if you say you're from Eastern Europe, most people will guess you're from anywhere East of Germany. Central Europe isn't a term people use all that often, as the distinction is not as clear as East/West.
>>
>>429344
Europe was something created in the middle ages by Christianity.
>>
>>429342
Include Spain and Portugal in Southern Europe and I would be in total agreement.
>>
>>429344
>>429355
Also, I don't think "Central European" as an identity is all that common anywhere yet. The Cold War and the USSR is recent enough that any of the old communist or ex-Soviet states are still considered Eastern Europe. I know Bulgarians and Macedonians who still consider themselves Eastern European, even if they're technically in Southern Europe. If you don't think that the Cold War had a massive impact on the way Europeans view themselves geographically, then you're underestimating just how major it all was.
>>
>>429381
Are there even any ex-Soviet states that fall within even the broadest definitions of Central Europe?
>>
>>429381
Cigarettes, coffee, olives, tomatoes, ideal of a fashionable man - Bulgaria and Macedonia are southern as fuck. Language aside, they are much closer to Greece than to Russia.
>>
>>429387
You mean like fucking Germany? Poland, Czechia, sometimes Slovakia, I've seen Finland described as western.
The USSR wasnt entirely eastern, and its culture was very diverse.
>>
>>429396
I asked about ex-Soviet states.
>>
>>429401
They werent technically part of it, but we all know better. They knew at the time too, nobody was under the illusion that East Germany is a separate entity from the USSR.
>>
>>429387
I don't think so, at least going by what's listed as ex-Soviet states here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-Soviet_states#Economy.
I do think that >>429316 is a fairly accurate geographical representation of what I would designate as Central Europe if I have to though.
>>
>>429393
Certainly, I wouldn't call them Eastern Europe either, but the guys I know have something of a Slav-complex or attachment to Slav-subculture that makes them identify as Eastern Europe. Maybe they just don't want to be grouped along with Greece, knowing how much people from both countries aren't on the best of terms with it.
>>
>>429417
>your ancestors beat up my ancestors, so I dont want to be in the same group as you

Purest form of autism.
>>
>>429417
>Slav-complex or attachment to Slav-subculture
what does that even mean
>>
>>429440
bydlos, squatting, tracksuits, preference and excessive consumption of vodka, stuff like that

>>429425
If you think seeing Macedonians bitch about Greece online is something, wait until you see one in real life.
>>
To believe this "Central Europe" crock you have to think Bremen is more like Lublin or Ljubljana than it is like Groningen, or that Linz is more like Bratislava than it is like Liege. It's nonsensical. Europeans have always had a very clear idea of how the continent is divided between East and West. If you're a Slav and/or Romanian, you're East and need to get over it.
>>
File: ee.jpg (483 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
ee.jpg
483 KB, 2048x1365
>>429289
>this is eastern Europe
>>
>>429496
The south/north distinction is just as powerful, though.
>>
>>429496
And Copenhagen is more like Hamburg than Reykyavik, what are you trying to prove?
Central Europe was German area of influence before WW1 that was very much tangible.
>>
>>429278
Whether you think it is beneficial or not, these sloppy terms get defined in scholarly and popular use, not on animu imugebards.
>>
> mfw only Poles claim Poland is Central Europe and only Baltics claim Baltics is Northern Europe

Get over yourselves, you belong with your slav brothers, for all eternity :^)
>>
There is only Western (Catholic and Protestant) and Eastern (Orthodox) Europe. The rest are meaningless and based more on popular stereotypes than culture or history.

Albania is some other thing.
>>
>>429496
t. American
>>
>>429532
Im neither polish nor baltic, and I feel the same way. Guess you are wrong.
>>
>>429535
There is culture, architecture, food, language, ethnicity, etc legion of other factors that have nothing to do with religion. Stop pushing your mental illness everywhere.
>>
>>429580
>Stop pushing your mental illness everywhere.
Oh, fuck off.

Western Europe formed under Charlemagne and developed its own type of Christianity, Catholicism, as well as derivative sects like Protestantism. Countries like Poland, Hungary, and the Baltics that adopted these religions became incorporated into Western political and intellectual culture, because these were based around religion. Eastern Europe on the other hand adopted Christianity from Byzantium, from which they also derived much of their political and intellectual culture. They only adopted Western thought much later around the 18th-19th centuries. These differences split Europe into two completely different civilizations with a very clear dividing line in their religions, and this didn't change until the modern period and the Cold War.

Northern, Central, and Southern Europe on the other hand are just vaguely defined regions without any real historic basis, and are usually based more on stereotypes and trivialities like food and climate. That's why nobody can agree on what they are.
>>
>>429342

Central Europe is the Europe that could not into colonialism but wasn't turk nor ruskie. Later developed into le Miteleuropa, aka Germany's sphere of influence. In short, Le Cuckold.

West Europe is everything west of le Cuckold and East Europe everything east of le Cuckold.

Nordic/Scandinavia Europe is more of cultural term. A subregion of Western Europe.

Southern Europe is just a broad geographical term, sometimes akin to mediterranean Europe or Roman Empire Europe, Latin Europe and stuff. Basically theIberian Pen. and Italy are historically another subregion of Western Europe.

Same goes for subregion British Isles.

Balkan Europe would be akin to Byzantine/Ottoman/Orthodox Europe. Basically a subregion of Eastern Europe.

And Russia is Eastern Europe in denial. Even more, Europe in denial.
>>
>>429344
Its difficult to think of it as anything else because the landmass itself is not really distinct enough to not be just Eurasia
>>
File: 1450444191936.gif (331 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1450444191936.gif
331 KB, 1280x1024
>>429278
this is roughly how i see europe if you want to reffer to east, west and such shit i mean its still europe
>>
File: europe.png (121 KB, 1280x1023) Image search: [Google]
europe.png
121 KB, 1280x1023
>>429278
Bit of a clusterfuck but this is how I see it. Give to the colors whatever name you want.
>>
File: fedora plane.gif (4 MB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
fedora plane.gif
4 MB, 630x354
>>429580
>Stop pushing your mental illness everywhere.
That's ironic: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2039690/Atheism-autism-Controversial-new-study-points-link-two.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-hutson/autism-atheism_b_1557098.html
>>
>sweden
>brown

>france
>green

>spain
>red

>ireland
>yellow

>portugal
>yellow

>denmark
>green

>finland
>red
>>
File: 3.-LJUBLJANA.jpg (271 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
3.-LJUBLJANA.jpg
271 KB, 1024x682
>>429496
Is Ljubljana more similar to Moscow than to Vienna? Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>429360
This is the correct interpretation.
>>
>>429289
>turkey
>europe
ayy
>>
>>429381
>I don't think "Central European" as an identity is all that common anywhere yet.

Have you even been to Central Europe? If you tell Czechs or Slovaks that they're "Eastern Europe" they correct you and tell you they're Central.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.