[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why was it called the Divine Comedy? it wasn't very funny
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: br00tal.png (115 KB, 488x228) Image search: [Google]
br00tal.png
115 KB, 488x228
why was it called the Divine Comedy?

it wasn't very funny
>>
>>428094
Because it had a happy ending
>>
Comedy in that sense is a story with a happy or at least okay ending.
>>
>>428094
Ye olde words, anon.

Once upon a time, fiction was divided into comedy and tragedy, with extremely broad definitions of both terms that bore little resemblance to the modern usage.
>>
>>428144
Doesn't knowing what a story is classified as spoil it then?
>>
>>428380
They are hundreds of years old, do you go "Oh boy, I wonder if Macbeth will win!"?
>>
>>429365
Hey fuck you I was about to finish that book.
>>
>>429370
Macduff kills Macbeth because Macduff was born from a cesarean
>>
>>429370
MARSTON DIES
>>
>>428094
I just have a test on it

Didn't knew shit and ace it
>>
>>428094
>why was it called the Divine Comedy?
Because it was a political satire, which qualifies as comedy. And don't listen to the bloody fools here withe their comedy->good end tragedy->bad end bullshit, the fools obviously never have read the Poetics.
>>
>>429426
Didn't he put Pope Boner-face in hell for exiling him or something?
>>
>>429428
Well he didn't really exile him, but the faction who did supported Boner-face so yeah.
>>
>not very funny
Did you even get to the part with the fart trumpet demon?
>>
>>429426
>the divine comedy was satire
I can feel your american roots young man
Let me guess, The Prince is OBVIOUSLY satire right?
>>
>>429365
I think that we have meant was that the people from those times knew, more or less, how the story would end.

BTW, does macbeth win ?
>>
>>429686

That was like one line.

I asked my teacher if the ridiculous fart demons were fallen angel type demons and she said, 'uh no I think they're native to hell.'

I'm interested in where those imps came from. Mischevious little farting imps don't really fit the whole 'tragic fallen angel' trope.
>>
File: 1374689519456.png (64 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
1374689519456.png
64 KB, 300x100
>>432835
Maybe Dante made them up as a satire of Gabriel and his trumpets.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.