[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
you are the emperor of the western roman empire how do you prevent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: index.png (6 KB, 264x191) Image search: [Google]
index.png
6 KB, 264x191
we know that the roman empire in the west fell in 476AD. But if you were to go back in time and be made the emperor of the western empire what would you have done to prevent its fall?
>>
introduce a minimum wage
>>
>>427917
In what year do I become emperor? If it's 476 exactly I don't see much of a way out
>>
>>427917
Not kill my only competent generals (Stilicho, Aetius) for one thing. Put all my priorities to secure North Africa and use the wealth to appease the barbarians to go home. Afterwards, connect both empires together.

The Romans despite declining numbers in their army actually won most of their engagements. Losing North Africa was the killing blow.
>>
>>427917
Introduce womyn into the army.

Invade the Eastern half.

Whenever I capture a village, town or city, I kill all the men and force the womyn into the army.

Sack Byzantium.

Repeat with Persia until my army collapses.
>>
>>427941
This is what the East and Persia tried to do to each other, destroying each other's state and economy until the Arabs invaded and smashed them both
>>
"Aetius, you Emperor nao"
>>
Retreat from Africa
Integrate germanics peacefully
Death penalty for everythnig
Ban the greek language and anything not latin
Build a great wall in the bosphorus and integrate all people peacefully to the Urals.
>>
Offer Huns a team up to genocide all Germanics.
>>
>>427925
The only good answer in this thread.
>>
>>428040
>retreat from Africa

Everything from Orania East was solidly Roman and valuable. Britain was the boondoggle.
>>
>>428065
Also retreat from Britain and most isles.
>>
>we know that the roman empire in the west fell in 476AD
When will this meme die?
>>
>>428128
476 is when Odoacer deposed Romulus Augustulus, the last Roman Emperor. I guess that's a meme now.
>>
Declare myself God and kill everyone who opposes me.
>>
>>428490
Fuck off with your high school education.
>>
>>428490
>The last Roman emperor
>[Citation Needed]

The last western emperor recognized by
Constantinople was Julius Nepos
http://www.roman-emperors.org/nepos.htm
>>
>>427917
At what period?
>>
>>429441
Let's put the starting date at 395AD when the final division had occurred. The borders are still somewhat stable at this time but the decline is starting to show
>>
Remove Kraut
>>
1. Make sure ROMAN armies are made of ROMAN CITIZENS. I'm a Germanic man myself, but it was bullshit how they ended up just using Germanic tribes as basically mercenary armies. They must have Roman men in the army.

2. Remove Christianity. Round 'em up and feed 'em to the lions. Pussies and Jew worshippers the lot of them. Hail MARS!
>>
Finally sort out an official line of succesion.
Decentralise tax collection to increase efficiency.
Stop killing every competent general to dispel the air of intrigue around the imperial palace.
>>
>>429639
That's the attitude that started the downfall of the Roman Empire to be honest family
>>
>>429437
Which was before the WRE fell. Your point?
>>
File: constantine XI portrait.jpg (450 KB, 400x622) Image search: [Google]
constantine XI portrait.jpg
450 KB, 400x622
>>428040
>retreat from africa
lose most grain shipments to rome
riots
starvation
rampant disease and plague

>Integrate germanics peacefully
how so

>Ban the greek language and anything not latin
not gonna sit well with most merchants, trade is fucked and your treasuries are nearly depleted what with the cost of taking in refugee germans you hope to integrate and dealing with the grain shortages

>Death penalty for everythnig
what will this solve

>Build a great wall in the bosphorus and integrate all people peacefully to the Urals.
a great wall to keep out who? and how? and why?
>>
>>430423
>not gonna sit well with most merchants, trade is fucked and your treasuries are nearly depleted what with the cost of taking in refugee germans you hope to integrate and dealing with the grain shortages
Not only that, what does a "ban" on the greek language even mean in the classical context?
>>
I would try to form citizen militias so that territory wouldn't be so easily raided and conquered.

Also, like another Anon said, just let my good generals do their stuff.
>>
File: julian.jpg (36 KB, 359x480) Image search: [Google]
julian.jpg
36 KB, 359x480
>>429639
>Make sure ROMAN armies are made of ROMAN CITIZENS
the definition of a roman citizen was anyone within the bounds of the roman empire at any time since Caracalla

>Remove Christianity. Round 'em up and feed 'em to the lions. Pussies and Jew worshippers the lot of them. Hail MARS!
le tip
it'd be easier to just reform the current religion (assuming the ambiguous OP means an emperor pre-constantine) which at the time could have been numerous things from Sol Invictus to Mithra, by this time there was no roman religion to speak of
>>
File: O3xADP2.jpg (290 KB, 613x800) Image search: [Google]
O3xADP2.jpg
290 KB, 613x800
>>427917
Kick out all the Muslims... I mean gauls
Kick out all the gauls
>>
File: can'tnonplusthehadrianus2.png (2 MB, 1204x800) Image search: [Google]
can'tnonplusthehadrianus2.png
2 MB, 1204x800
>>430453
BRBBVILDINGAWALL
>>
Promise rewards for warriors going on the northern front, managed by generals who understood territory and had aggressive strategic capabilities: do not build more fixed fortifications until most of germanic peoples are either eradicated or allied. In this regard, offer gold, precious/exotic stuff AND protection from other barbarians first, if an agreement is nowhere to be found force the military assets.
Keep the outer provinces as peaceful as possible, their food and resources are keys for the falling Empire.
Trying to integrate populations together would be a waste of time and funds, I'd want them to want to stay, not the other way around. Keep taxes, offer something in exchange like slaves from northern africa.
Do not give christians more power. They would never trust neither give anything, their "good guy" shit were bad news. Maybe leaving them pray Christ and that shit.. at this point the problem is inside, not over the horizon.
This is what I can think of now, seems reasonable.
>>
convert to roman Catholicism so they won't sack my city on a "crusade" and have allies to fight against the ottomans.
>>
File: 1448150458339.jpg (94 KB, 677x782) Image search: [Google]
1448150458339.jpg
94 KB, 677x782
>>430698
That's the Eastern Empire M8y
>>
Gunpowder.
>>
Kill myself when my iPhone runs out of battery. Probably before, because I can't snap chat
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.