[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think of outlaws and murderers as folk heroes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 12
File: Billy_the_Kid_corrected.jpg (105 KB, 329x500) Image search: [Google]
Billy_the_Kid_corrected.jpg
105 KB, 329x500
What does /his/ think of outlaws and murderers as folk heroes? Are any of them actually worthy of the veneration they receive?
>>
i think some are a testament to human endurance and ingenuity.

like a natural disaster.
>>
>outlaws and murders
>worthy of the veneration they receive
Gee, what do you think OP?
>>
If Billy the Kid is a folk hero I don't see why Ted Bundy shouldn't be one too.
>>
>>427891
>think of... murderers
They're murderers.
>>worthy of veneration
No.
>>
>>427976
But it happened a long time ago so it's okay
>>
>>427891
Is Billy the Kid venerated? I suppose you could say Peckinpah did in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, but that was him making a film about the death of the West through a more human angle than The Wild Bunch, and chose it as a story to do so.

Isn't nearly all of what he did exaggerated or made up anyway?
>>
>>427891
Go read Hobsbawm's Bandits, then post an interesting thread.
>>
The landschlekt are pretty respected.
>>
Jesse James is and was a hero, to the point that the guy who killed him in the name of the law was ridiculed for the rest of his life as a coward and murdered.
>>
File: ned kelly armour.jpg (34 KB, 316x421) Image search: [Google]
ned kelly armour.jpg
34 KB, 316x421
Ned Kelly is one of, if not the most, popular people in Australia's history. He's seen as a working class hero who stood up to the establishment, specifically the thuggish cops at the time. Kind of an Australian-Irish Robin Hood character in armour who robbed banks and killed police.
>>
File: Ned_kelly_armour_library.jpg (3 MB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
Ned_kelly_armour_library.jpg
3 MB, 1840x3264
>>428633
That's quite a story, the wikipedia page is long but worth the read.
>>
>>428563
>Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

Such a great film, actually most of Peckinpah's films, particularly his Westerns, are amazing. The death of Wild West and the closing of the frontier/the arrival of modern civilization is definitely a common theme to his work.
>>
>>428751
It's easy to see why everyone here idolises him isn't it. It's quite a story. Australians are very much a supporter of what we perceive as the underdog for some reason. But still, he was a murderer who robbed people for a living. He would just be a footnote in history if not for the armour.
>>
>>428963
Incompetent murderer who fucked up bank robberies and killed some police. The more interesting question is why Australian folk culture loves a man most notable for being a cop killer, despite his gross incompetence.
>>
>>428967
Because FTP
>>
>>428973
ACAB.
>>
File: das it mane.jpg (52 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
das it mane.jpg
52 KB, 500x494
>>428978
>>
>>428967
The armour makes for great action figures
>>
File: hiram2_2_med.jpg (159 KB, 697x840) Image search: [Google]
hiram2_2_med.jpg
159 KB, 697x840
http://archive.bangordailynews.com/2005/12/19/howards-hermit-former-great-northern-paper-employee-finds-only-known-photo-of-hiram-johnson/

Tfw my dad would go past his camp to go fishing when he was a child...
>>
File: big man.jpg (801 KB, 1504x1130) Image search: [Google]
big man.jpg
801 KB, 1504x1130
wouldn't call him a murderer (some would) but certainly an outlaw for most of his life
>>
How about slightly more modern outlaws, like Bonnie and Clyde? They're extremely romanticized.
>>
>>427945
Billy the Kid was no saint, but comparing him to Ted Bundy is idiotic.
>>
>>428963
>He would just be a footnote in history if not for the armour.

His use of language, especially in the Jerilderie Letter, sets him apart from any other outlaw in history

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ned_Kelly

He is basically the only real-life Robin Hood who ever existed
>>
>>428967
>Incompetent murderer who fucked up bank robberies

His robberies were successful though. It was his last stand at Glenrowan that was a spectacular catastrophe
>>
>>428620
The Jesse James/Robin Hood myth was manufactured entirely by buttravaged Southerners

You won't find a single historian these days who views Jesse James in a positive light
>>
File: Emiliano_Zapata.jpg (32 KB, 347x499) Image search: [Google]
Emiliano_Zapata.jpg
32 KB, 347x499
>>427891
>Are any of them actually worthy of the veneration they receive?
Pancho Villa and that's basically it.

>inb that's Emiliano Zapta

I know, I don't have a picture of Pancho Villa and am too lazy to go search and save one.

Deal with it.

You know what he looks like, use your imagination.
>>
File: 557px-Jesse_james_portrait.jpg (46 KB, 557x767) Image search: [Google]
557px-Jesse_james_portrait.jpg
46 KB, 557x767
>>433072
But he was so handsome...
>>
File: article1434020225.jpg (55 KB, 586x587) Image search: [Google]
article1434020225.jpg
55 KB, 586x587
Short answer, yes
>>
File: Tano_Nikolov_cheta.jpg (75 KB, 1024x718) Image search: [Google]
Tano_Nikolov_cheta.jpg
75 KB, 1024x718
>>427891
>Are any of them actually worthy of the veneration they receive?
They are when they removed kebab.
>>
>>427891
Why do people like action movies?
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 600x400
>umad?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.