[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
King Arthur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Arthur.jpg (50 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
Arthur.jpg
50 KB, 354x500
Did King Arthur actually exist?
>>
>>427721
prob some cornish bloke that beat up some saxons
>>
>>427721
Only vaguely, as far as we can tell from the very sparse records.
Most likely he was a Brittano-Roman chieftan or petty king who at some point fought the Saxons.
Camelot, the round table and all that is just anachronistic suff made up half a millennia or so after. Glastonbury's connection to him was apparently made up by monks to get more backing for their monastary.
>>
the lad prolly busted some scotts
>>
I hope not, because that would imply he was one of the biggest cuckolds in recorded history.
>>
>>427721
He got cucked by the almighty Sir Lancelot who fucked his bitch.
>>
>>427755
>Camelot, the round table and all that is just old Sarmatian stories that got worked into the Arthur legend by minstrels half a millennia or so after
Fixed.
>>
>>427721
Possibly, but not as a king, and not as such a massive figure.
Most likely a good general/warrior from Kernow or Powys who #rekt the Saxons in memorable fashion.
>>
>>427721

That's European Jesus, anon
>>
>>427721
That I can definitely say no.

None of the historical references to Arthur mention him being a king.

"King Arthur" did not exist.
>>
File: 1442077394078.jpg (507 KB, 662x1000) Image search: [Google]
1442077394078.jpg
507 KB, 662x1000
In my heart she does
>>
>>428079
I'll never understand why nasu didnt just use joan of arc. fucking contrarian.
>>
File: 1419965353839.jpg (179 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1419965353839.jpg
179 KB, 768x1024
>>428102
Because he had King Arthur originally, but Takeuchi came up with the genius idea to genderbend everyone
>>
It always bothers me when people complain about King Arthur stories having plate armor and stuff in them. When people were telling new stories they modified them to have then-contemporary aspects. Why should modern storytellers not use those then-contemporary aspects in their stories?
>>
>>427777
>Sarmatians
Based Iranians being based.
>>
>>427721
I personally believe he was two or three kings/leaders whose stories were mashed together over time. Unless I'm completely wrong.
>>
Yeah. Right here.
Ask me anything.
>>
>>428102
Why did he make Gilgamesh look like Alexander and Alexander look like Gilgamesh? Who fucking knows man its a C grade anime at best
>>
>>427762
>>427771
Remember that Lancelot was not part of Geoffrey of Monmouth's original history of Arthur, it was some French author who first wrote about him, then it turned into canon when it got put into Le Morte d'Arthur.

Why did 4chan remove the filters on the meme words?
cuck senpai desu
>>
>>428704
why did the choice meme of /pol/ get unfiltered but harmless britposting is still filtered shaking my head to be honest
>>
>>428685
Kek
>>
>>428652
I'd throw in a couple of gods as well
>>
>>428102
>'I was not born to live a man's life, but to be the stuff of future memory. The fellowship of the Round Table was a brief beginning, a fair time that cannot be forgotten. And because it will not be forgotten that fair time may come again. Now once more I must ride with my knights to defend what was...and the dream of what could be."
>— King Arthur, from John Boorman's Excalibur
Nasu interpreted the first line in a quite original way
>>
>>428697
It's kinda confusing how some servants represent the actual figure while some other times it represents people's view of them
>>
>>430882
Oh, definitely.
>>
If he did he fought his wars in the late 5th century AD, probably the leader of an anti-Saxon group which had earlier been led by Ambrosius Aurelianus in opposition to a faction which had advocated hiring foederati led by Vortigern in the mid-5th.

Gildas in the 540s writes that a campaign a generation ago which ended with a great battle at Badon (probably near Bath or Circencester) had won peace between the Saxons and Britons for a generation with most of Britannia still in local hands. Shortly afterwards the peace failed and by 620 most of the Briton kingdoms like Elmet, Rheged and Pennine and independent cities like Glevum were conquered leaving only Kernow and what would later be Wales in Briton hands.

I like to think an Artorius existed in the post-Roman vacuum, who united a bunch of warring groups together and won peace for his time.
>>
>>428106

it was more that he wanted to draw a cute girl in armor, which means that you have to change the MC's gender because GIRLS CAN'T LOVE GIRLS
>>
>>428685

Was your life as metal as Excalibur made it look?
>>
>>433613
Yeah it was.
It wasn't written down, but I popped both the Lady of the Lake's and Morgan's cherries.
>>
Probably desu
>>
>>428685
Is it true that you were secretly a girl, or is that just anime talk?
>>
>>435562

>Secretly
>>
File: Screenshot_20151219-130341.png (547 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151219-130341.png
547 KB, 1440x2560
>>427721
Yes, and he was literally, LITERALLY black.
>>
>>427721
Maybe but the story is probably extremely embellished.

Most historical sources mention the Anglo-Saxon settlement being pretty smooth and the relationship with the Romans being peaceful.
>>
>>435589
>that entire page
>citation needed
>>
>>435596
>Anglo saxon settlement being smooth
I'm sure all the wars they had with the welsh and other tribes in southern britain were all smooth too
>>
Fun fact: the story of Arthur getting Excalibur is a metaphor for a new development of forging techniques. He "drew" the sword from the stone and had it "blessed" by the lady of the lake. Aka he found a new ore and tempered it.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.