[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who are the modern descendants of Scythians? Also Scythia thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12
File: Scyths.jpg (37 KB, 311x481) Image search: [Google]
Scyths.jpg
37 KB, 311x481
Who are the modern descendants of Scythians?
Also Scythia thread.
>>
>>425078
Ossetians
>>
Were Scythians the original Indo-Europeans nomads who didn't migrate from Russian Steppe and never settled down?
>>
>>425098
Fugg, forgot about the Alans. But either way they are heavily mixed with the other North Caucasus people, they don't look much different if compared with Chechens or Dagestanis. Although linguistically I suppose they are the closest.
>>
>>425078
Hungarians
>>
>>425145
no
>>
File: R1a_migration_map.jpg (309 KB, 1600x631) Image search: [Google]
R1a_migration_map.jpg
309 KB, 1600x631
>>425150
The whole they don't speak an indo-european language anymore thing?
>>
>>425154
i am hungarian
fuck off with your pseudo science bullshit
>>
>>425165
>pseudo science
explain?
>>
>>425168
we migrated from the ural
when exactly and how long did we travel to arrive in carpathian basin is up for debate again

but we being scythians is 19th century tier fairytale
>>
File: 1448058081149.png (158 KB, 212x304) Image search: [Google]
1448058081149.png
158 KB, 212x304
The Portugese
>>
>>425154
There are no Hungarians on your map, and it predates Hungarians by 2000 years.
>>
>>425182
t. Alberto Barbosa
>>
must be the Filipinos.... they are the most powerful race you know
>>
I imagine most of them did what many other steppe nomads did once they were driven out. Settled among the other people, and adopted their ways. You could probably find some Scythian and Sarmatian blood in everybody throughout Europe.
As mentioned though, the most linguistically related are the Ossetians.
>>
>>425183
>are no Hungarians on your map
I guess the ethnic Magyars are largely disappeared then? Because the majority of Hungarians are R1a.
>>
>>425191
>Ossetians
They are related to the Alani, or claim to be. I imagine the Alans spread late genes to Western Europe at the end of the Roman Empire, genes that were already in Europe from the earliest of times.
>>
>>425183

This study below shows the Magyars are in the map:
> http://www.magyarorigins.com/hungariandna.html

>>425154
>>
>>425206
thats not a study
its a 4chin infograph tier website made by pants on head retarded ppl who believe we are scythians and huns but at the very least, aliens from the planet syrius
>>
>>425193
>I guess the ethnic Magyars are largely disappeared then? Because the majority of Hungarians are R1a
They were genetically influenced by much larger pre-invasion Indo-European population, mostly Slavs, yet they managed to retain their language, culture and ethnic identity and culturally assimilated natives over time. So I'd say they didn't disappeared at all.
>>425206
>www.magyarorigins.com
Looks like a source I can trust. Not really.
>>
>>425206
>This logic violates what we know about the spread of languages. If the small number of warriors were the only ones speaking Magyar they would have been absorbed by the local population and taken on their language. History shows that when a small group speaking a different language imposes its language on the masses, the imposed language will usually be for administrative purposes but it never takes over the language spoken at social gatherings.
Someone need to tell him about Roman Gaul and Iberia and Greek/Turkish Anatolia.
>>
>>425236
I think he is relating to a situation like the Normans and Britano-Saxon.
>>
>>425197
Ossetians are related to the Alani who were related to the Sarmatians who were related to the Scythians.
>>
>>425257
Yes, also Bulgars in Bulgaria, Franks in France, Vikings in Russia. My point is, there are perfectly valid counter-examples - Roman, Arab and Turkish conquests didn't involve very large populations migrations, comparing to native population, yet managed to change linguistic and cultural situation dramatically. So there is no reason to think Magyars would failed to do the same.
>>
>>425107
No but they lived in what was probably the start-point of the indo-european migration and their lifestyle changed less than others that settled in new lands. But they also evolved as a culture.
>>
File: 1448903619008.jpg (15 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1448903619008.jpg
15 KB, 225x225
Thread theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzFBby1i76g
>>
>>425278
I can't say much for the Turks (I had the impression that there was a large migration into Anatolia) but I think the difference with Roman and Arab conquests was their continued association with the homeland and possibly that Latin and Arabic were (or soon became) literary languages.
>>
File: central asian turks.jpg (90 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
central asian turks.jpg
90 KB, 690x460
>>425619
There were indeed turkic migrations into Anatolia, just like there were arabic and latin migrations into conquered lands. But how many people looks like pic related in Turkey? I'm sure you can find some, but they're clearly a small minority.
>>
>>425120
the thread should have ended here.
>>
>>425181
>we
Modern Hungarians didn't retain any Uralic genes, it's more likely that a smaller number of Magyar conquerors assimilated a much bigger population that already lived there.
>>
Didn't Greeks call anything that could shoot an arrow on horseback a Scythian?
>>
>>425808
No, because there were also the Sarmatians.
>>
Arent Scythians Iranic?

Also, their closest living relatives probably are the Pamirs, both linguistically and geographically
>>
>>425154
>The whole they don't speak an indo-european language anymore thing?

Scythians were Iranic, which is Indo-European Magyars spoke an Uralic language, and there's no genetic heritage from Finno-Ugric peoples in Hungaria anyway
>>
File: novembreblogpostfig.jpg (331 KB, 1106x1508) Image search: [Google]
novembreblogpostfig.jpg
331 KB, 1106x1508
>>425181
>we migrated from the ural

You're Slavs who got c*cked by mongols

Deal with it
>>
>>425906

>>425913
>>
>>425913
Those shitty sample sizes
>>
They assimilated into other groups, mostly Slavs.
>>
>>425880
The Pamiris are pretty swarthy, with a few exceptions.
The historians that were alive during the Scythian period described them as redheads or blondes with light eyes.
>>
>>425985
Sarmatism is no different from British Israelism, fampai.
>>
>>426878
I'd say it's different since there's nothing admirable whatsoever about Sarmatians
>>
File: 1450210983457.jpg (255 KB, 1200x848) Image search: [Google]
1450210983457.jpg
255 KB, 1200x848
>>425078
The Scythians melded into Europe: the ethnogenesis of Slavs mediating Iranic Aryan-Persian religion and technology (bhag-bóg (god) and gavya to гoвядинa etc). In Asia: the Uighur ethnogenesis from Turkic and Tokarian and Scythian mixing.
>>
>>425078
There are holdouts in the Caucasus countries and parts of Eurasia of Scythian descended people but the largest single concentration are the Ossetians in Georgia and Iran.

Also Gilakis might have some Scythian heritage themselves.
>>
>>425648
Most central turks I know have semi asiatic eyes. Most western turks I know look pretty much identical to greeks
>>
My last name is Seres

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serica

Might be a bastardization of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siraces

>ancestors moved here in 1880s from Southern Russia/Ukraine.

Too much for coincidence?
>>
>>425913
+PC1 white
-PC1 arab
+PC2 asian
-PCS nigger

?
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 500x551) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 500x551
>>425808
It was pretty much a catch-all term for a bunch of different ethnic groups. In the same way people of color would be called minorities and such. This is especially true with Herodotus
>>
>>425802
>>425913
hello butthurt slavs
still aching from magyarization?
good
>>
File: cann1.jpg (12 KB, 334x153) Image search: [Google]
cann1.jpg
12 KB, 334x153
Scythians were literally 420 blaze it.

http://antiquecannabisbook.com/chap2B/Greco_Roman/Herodotus.htm
>>
>>428982

that basically confirms they were derived from the aryans
>>
>>428999
Well the Indo Aryans are derived from a central/eastern European stock so probably the early Aryans looked somewhat like modern day Slavs thus the similarities between Balto-Slavic and Indo-Iranian (Satem) languages. There's also a high prevalence of R1a among Brahmins.
>>
Was the Slavic traditional clothing influenced by the Scythian clothing?
>>
>>425078
Jews
>>
>>425154
>>425165
>>425181
>>425217
Could you tell me about other nations with a history like Hungarians?
I mean, when a smaller but militarily stronger group invaded a larger population and were eventually genetically assimilated but their culture, language and identity remained almost entirely the same? To the point where today's Hungarians have technically the same identity as they did 500 years ago (at least thats what I can tell from my very limited sources), and they totally differ themself from their neighbours?
This is a very interesting topic imho
>>
>>425078
Indians, various Slavic peoples
>>
>>425078
>Who are the modern descendants of Scythians?
Central Asians
Caucasians (the region, even though various races stem from the Caucasus)
Slavs
Pajeets
>>
>>431183
>>431209
>Indians
explain
>>
>>431225
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Scythians
>>
>>429091
That seems like an accurate description of Hittite/Luwian and Greek migrations into Anatolia and Greece.

Both adopted some cultural and religious aspects from the people they encountered, but their culture and language became dominant as they ruled them.
>>
>>432269
They didn't replace the local indian population.
>>
>>428999
The term aryan as mentioned in the Avesta is actually used to define the antithesis of what the Scythians are. Aryans are the settled people enemy of the nomads like the scythians, even when at the time both groups were iranian or proto-iranian.

But yes, they were derived from the people that would spawn indo-iranian peoples, nobody would seriously doubt that.
>>
>>434824
No but they admixed with them?

Indians are themselves of a mostly mixed race.
>>
>>429082
More likely shared inheritance, though early Slavic history is very blurry.
>>
>thinking slav shit yuro cum skin cucks have any relation of minoans, phoenicians, greeks, scythians, romans, or even "proto-indo" peoples

WE WUZ GREEKS N SHIT BRO
>>
>>425078
their descendants are probably dispersed among different populations throughout Eurasia but their closest cousins are Persians, Kurds, and other Iranic groups
>>
>>434824
No, but some Indians are still their descendants.
>>
>>434824

Northern Indians, especially upper castes, Jats and Sikhs, definitely do have at least some Scythian/Aryan ancestry. Pashtuns, Hazara, and Pamiri as well. Arguably anyone from a swath from Eastern Europe to Mongolia/Central Asia has some sort of genetic/cultural ties to Scythians/Sarmatians.
>>
Why is it so hard to grasp that most people lived and died within 5 miles of home?

Otzi the iceman was most closely related to the nearby modern villagers for example.
>>
>>437551
Nomads were nomadic.
>>
File: polish-girl.jpg (33 KB, 290x400) Image search: [Google]
polish-girl.jpg
33 KB, 290x400
> tfw Slavic pure blood Indo-European master-race
> muh hydronyms
>>
>>437284
>Achaemenid
>Iberia
The fuck?
>>
Ukranians are.
>>
>>437493
This makes a lot of sense, some India so look very European.
>>
>>437737
The map colouring is bad. That's supposed to be Carthaginian holdings.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.