[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You gotta help me /his/ I started reading some philosophy (loving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 1447739962807.jpg (94 KB, 465x600) Image search: [Google]
1447739962807.jpg
94 KB, 465x600
You gotta help me /his/

I started reading some philosophy (loving it desu) but I keep going back to vidya and shit

How is one supposed to stopped wasting time with vidya and devote one's time to learning and studying?
>>
>>422027
Stop being trash
Start being not trash
>>
Shit someone post the /lit/ copypasta
>>
>claims to love it
>can't be bothered to do it

Yeah, you're just pretending to like it because it makes you seem smarter/better to yourself. You're actually just lying to yourself and don't really want to do it, afterall. If you loved it, you'd be doing it.

Fraud.
>>
>>422066
I am doing it but whenever it comes to games I just abandon everything else.So the question is what is one to do in such a case?
>>
>>422083
Stop pretending and go play your shitty vidya. It's what your mind was made for.
>>
>>422131
I bet you haven't even read Cratylus you shmoik.

OP make a schedule of your time, set certain time for reading, certain time for recreation. It's not that you were born with a vidya playing mind, it's that you lack discipline.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 463x325
Got just the advise for you, amicus meus.

I became an avid reader like fifteen months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time spamming my message on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>422150
>>422196
Gratia Amici I will try to follow your suggestions.
>>
File: 1446996018382.jpg (108 KB, 540x562) Image search: [Google]
1446996018382.jpg
108 KB, 540x562
>>422150
What does a random forgettable dialogue have to do with anything? Theaetetus is far superior
>>
>>422038
>>422066
>someone genuenly wants to better himself
>lel, just give up brah, only the greatest mind browsing this anime board (such as myself "smirk" "smirk") canfathom anything more than minecraft and History chanel
>smugface.png
>>
>>422027
If you enjoy video games more than studying why do you want to study instead of playing video games?
>>
>>425137
Tbh vidya is like an addiction and whenever I am not playing then I eagerly partake in philosophical discussions or read books.I love philosophy but when I have the opportunity to play vidya I just feel unable to resist it.The problem is not only with philosophy but every other part of my life,with philosophy and knowledge I just feel guilt as fuck about it.I am just asking for a way to stop it and devote myself to learning.Therefore I would appreciate if you could help me devote myself to learning and remove this shitty habit of mine.
>>
>>422196
Any economics books would recommend?
>>
>>422027
>Read Nicho ethics
>become virtuous
>???
>profit
>>
>>425367
Political economy or textbooks to learn econ (equations)?
>>
>>422196
This
You need to learn something your parents and teschers should have taught you: Discipline.
It might be hard, but youll feel really good after folowing schedule fir at least a week...
>>
>>422027
make the time. shut the computer off for an hour or more and dedicate that time to read
read before you sleep, while laying in bed.
If something excites you you 'll find time to read it.
And don't sweat it; Most of the benefits from reading after all, come durig the times inbetween reading, when you are pondering what you have read.

>>422044
what's that, I want to see it?
>>
>>422196
>and I don't spend much time spamming my message on 4chan anymore.

how can we trust you then?
>>
>>422027
Check out the "Philosophize This" podcast if you'd like some introductory material in audio form. I'm only a handful of episodes into it, but it's already been more effective than the philosophy classes I took in college.
>>
>>425367
the only science is history
>>
>>422027

Why are you feeling guilty for enjoying something?
>>
File: 16035919.png (610 KB, 540x537) Image search: [Google]
16035919.png
610 KB, 540x537
>>422027
Change your habits, hour by hour, day by day. And when you fail, get up and try again.
In a year, games will seem like a waste of time to you.
>>
>>425526
Yeah bc I feel that games do not teach me something and that basically I am just wasting my time.I am aware that one may possibly gain some knowledge from playing games but due the way I play them (thinking very little about the philosophy present in the game) I gain very little.That is why I feel guilty and why I feel it necessary to abandon them.
>>
>>425493
>>425700
Tried not playing today and learning instead,it worked.How is one to keep being disciplined at all times into the future?
>>
>>425752
Support and oversight of friends and familly...
But since most of us suffer from autismo, we just have to make a realistic weekly schedule and gain confidence by keeping it...
>>
>>425752
it's not a linear process. The desire is building in you. Satisfy it when it arises, in ways you feel suitable, whatever they are. First you must be accustomed to the way you lear and that is a process in itself.
>>
>>425736
>feel guilty for enjoying your hobby

Maybe you should check into rehab son.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.