[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were dogs ever used in warfare, or wolves. I would think they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Zonaro_GatesofConst.jpg (77 KB, 440x559) Image search: [Google]
Zonaro_GatesofConst.jpg
77 KB, 440x559
Were dogs ever used in warfare, or wolves. I would think they would make good anti cavalry troops. Also general animals in warfare thread
>>
man that seems like a stupid idea it would be a huge waste of time to train the dogs enough to actually work well in a fight and even then you couldn't be sure
>>
>>421410
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_in_warfare
>>
So the Huns and romans used war dogs. It says they used them as scouts. How could you use them as scouts
>>
>animals in warfare

They made a decent film about that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097441/
>>
>>421445
>DOG! Tell me what you saw!
>Woof!
>You worthless mutt...
And this is how animal abuse started
>>
>>421466
Ending up blowing their own tanks up cause the were trained with T-34s. Good doggos

>>421445
What is scent training?
>>
The Russians trained dogs to run under German tanks while strapped with explosives
It backfired and the dogs ran at russian tanks instead

Irish rebels used Irish wolfhounds to pull British soldiers off their horses
>>
File: No, you dont understand.jpg (95 KB, 600x882) Image search: [Google]
No, you dont understand.jpg
95 KB, 600x882
>>421454

>Not having dog-human translators.

Spanish army had homing pigeons till a couple of years ago, when the cuttings in the expending end with them.
>>
>>421454
Kek
>>
>>421410
Dogs as anti cavalry?

A horse can kill an adult human, stomping a dog isn't that hard for them either.
>>
Dogs were used for patrols in the first world war, they were also used for carrying missions and helping the wounded
>>
>>421410
yes they where
when they where used enmass they where deployed to disrupt the front lines/charges and then you hade your own infantry close in rigth after
but alot of soldiers through out time have brought their dogs to battle even if they wherent used enmass

but dogs where/are more usefull as sentries, scouts and trackers
>>
>>421410
Pigeons, Doliphins, Bats, Dogs, Horses, Sea Lions, Rats, Chickens, Squirrels, Pigs, Camels, Oxen, Elephants, and even a fucking Bear have been trained to perform roles in combat.
>>
Yes. The most dangerous was corgi. Want to make a calvalry charge? Sorry, your horses are being herded away by corgi. Going to try and stomp the corgi? Sorry. Corgi evolved low profile, quickness, and herding instinct to avoid being killed by large domestic animals.

Among dogs of war, corgi is foremost.
>>
>>421410
Dogs have been estimated to have saved up to 10,000 American lives in Vietnam.

They act as bomb detectors, ambush detectors, trap detectors, and drug detectors.
Plus if it really comes down to the wire they can be used to attack.

Source: Father ran the Military Police Dog School in San Antonio before it became it's own MOS.
>>
>>421424
>>421410
The English utilized the Irish Wolfhounds to great extent, I believe.
>>
>>421484
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog
>>
>>421728
one dog they can handle

a pack of them trying to bite their neck/legs off on the other hand
>>
>>421484

True, but it was unsuccessful, they were trained by having all the food they were given to be under stationary tanks, the plan being they would dive tanks thinking there was food, but they would be either too scared to go under moving tanks, or would dive Russian tanks
>>
>>423504
>423504
Cavalry come in large groups and tend to move at high speed.

The dog pack is going to get fucking trampled.
A DEER will stomp the shit out of a dog if angered.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.