[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who /absurdism/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
who /absurdism/ here?
>>
>tfw my whole life is absurdist
>>
Imo absurdism makes sense only if you're incapable of seeing reality outside of western forms of rationality.

If you believe that only things understandable by dualistic constructs or human forms of perception are real/exist of course you will find reality to be absurd, however this assumes that human conceptualization/perception is the only way the universe can be experienced. Basically I find absurdism to be short-sighted.
>>
>>421720
While this is true I find it pretty hard to fault a philosophy for not going beyond what humans can perceive. Any philosophy that does this is really more guessing than anything because we cannot percieve in any way but the human way.
>>
>>421720
>If you believe that only things understandable by dualistic constructs or human forms of perception are real/exist
But that's what Camus disagrees with tho, it's thinking that there is more than we can perceive that requires "believing". The position he takes requires no faith, it is merely an observation of facts.
>>
>>421892
My problem is that it takes an assertive stance. It simply stops at "under human perception the universe is absurd." While this is true, it seems to not make the very necessary distinction that the problem is with rationality, not the universe
>>
>>422046

It doesn't matter which is responsible for the problem, he shouldn't have to preface everything he says with "[As far as humans can tell] the universe is absurd"
>>
What distinguishes absurdism from existential nihilism?
>>
>>422046
>quoting absurdism as "the universe is absurd"
>the problem is with rationality, not the universe

You could've just said you haven't read The Myth of Sisyphus instead criticizing something you don't understand. It's ok, we're on an anonymous image board.

It's not the universe that he considers absurd neither does he think that looking for a meaning is absurd in itself. According to him there is absurdity when you combine the two; looking for meaning in a meaningless universe.
>>
>nobody on a "philosophy board" knows Camus
ebin
>>
>>421720
>outside of western forms of rationality
Non-western "forms of rationality" are literally religion. They are based on faith, not reason.
>>
>>422046
Read him before commenting.

It is not the universe that is absurd. The absurd is the result of the rational man's nostalgic thirst for the feeling of certainty of understanding and purpose, against a universe that is indifferent to said thirst.

The absurd is born when a man's only tool for understanding, his use of reason, reaches its ultimate limit, and he realizes just what a limited tool he has for the titanic goal of finding a meaning to his existence.
>>
>>422173

Nihilism says nothing can have meaning.
>>
>>422844
But doesn't absurdism say that reality is meaningless?
>>
File: 1423251405498.jpg (181 KB, 1091x1056) Image search: [Google]
1423251405498.jpg
181 KB, 1091x1056
>>423231
Not really.
You can't reasonably prove that there is no meaning behind reality.
Absurdism states that whether there is or not. it is beyond reason to answer.
But this should not make an individual abandon life (suicide) or abandon reason (philosophical suicide), instead the individual should recognize (without accepting in defeat) the limitations of his reason when using it to explain the world (the absurd) and try to find happiness in his struggle.
>>
File: Wittgenstein.jpg (164 KB, 902x902) Image search: [Google]
Wittgenstein.jpg
164 KB, 902x902
Did Wittgenstein ever touch on absurdism? Seems like he was saying pretty much the same thing just not as directly
>>
>>423528
Never rad him, how is he similar?
>>
bump :-D
>>
File: theodore-roosevelt-laughing.jpg (65 KB, 605x412) Image search: [Google]
theodore-roosevelt-laughing.jpg
65 KB, 605x412
>>420987
>Camus

Why do so many nobodies read hackass people like Camus? I'll never understand..
>>
>>423528
Wittgenstein is pretty fucking antithetical to Camus.
>>
>>427198
Because he's Kia of Existenialism: reliable enough to do what you need to do, but decidedly entry level and not to be taken seriously by serious drivers.
>>
>>427221
True, Camus is like looking at a picture of Mount Everest, whereas Nietzsche is like climbing Mount Everest itself. Camus readers can pretend, but they'll never know.
>>
>>427198
>>427221
>>427235
Feel free to elaborate on your hate of Camus or refute Absurdism, memelords.
>>
>>427250
Life is absurd is an incoherent position and you only preach it because you're an edgy fucking memelord. You still go get food when you're hungry, you still take shits in the toilet, you don't actually believe in the absurd.

As for Camus, read better authors on the same topic. The contrast is the argument.
>>
>>427260
>Life is absurd is an incoherent position and you only preach it because you're an edgy fucking memelord. You still go get food when you're hungry, you still take shits in the toilet, you don't actually believe in the absurd.
"I haven't read Camus" would've been shorter to type.

>As for Camus, read better authors on the same topic
Such as?
>>
>>427260
>You still go get food when you're hungry, you still take shits in the toilet
No shit, did you pay any attention whatsoever to what he actually wrote?
>>
>>427260
>absurdism is incoherent(aka absurd)
>you don't commit suicide so you don't believe in the absurd
Jesus Christ man, at least read the wikipedia page before commenting.
>>
>>427260
embarrassing baka desu m8
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.