[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am confused, I need some guidance on this topic. Which is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (409 KB, 1297x1638) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
409 KB, 1297x1638
I am confused, I need some guidance on this topic. Which is the true Christianity, Protestantism or Catholic/orthodoxy?
>>
answer will not be found on 4chan
>>
>>420646

You'll have to tell us how you decided that Christianity was true to begin with.

Whatever method you used to find that out should be fine to find out which version of Christianity is true.
>>
>>420646
Protestants are what gives Christians a bad name nowadays. Each off-shoot tried to be the most bible-bashing of them all, which led to the ignorant/backwards Christian meme.

Catholics/Orthodoxy are the way to go, pick whichever one is closest to your own heritage.
>>
Protestants without the trend of following big name churchs (Black and White churchs). With orthodox being second.
>>
>>420646
Later day saints is likely the only true Christian church.
>>
>>420646
Neither. The closes is the Assyrian Church of the East.
>>
>>420646
>>
>>420660

It's interesting to note that most of the hysteria about witchcraft and magic involved protestants. Pendle, Matthew Hopkins, Salem etc.
>>
File: 20488-29877.jpg (45 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
20488-29877.jpg
45 KB, 320x240
>>420664

>Catholics/Orthodoxy are the way to go, pick whichever one is closest to your own heritage.

what does heritage have to do with validity?
>>
>>420996

Ahem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%BCrzburg_witch_trial
>>
Coptic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSm120gFlQ
>>
>>420984
Joel Osteen says more about Americans than about protestants.
>>
>>420646
From what I can tell, orthodoxy is the most similar to the early church
I wouldn't say any of it is true though. (ayytheist)
>>
>>421007
Both are valid as they can claim a direct line of successive bishops back to the apostles.
Protestantism is reddit-tier.
>>
>>421079
Uh yes it does, that make them the Church of Jesus Christ, as said in Matthew.
>>
Modern. Satanism other that the encouragement toward pride they are ironically most in line with Christ's teachings. You don't need a church to be a good Christian just not be a shit head to others pay your taxes and be chairatable . Also don't be a dick when you lend money.
>>
Calvinism. Predestination only makes sense with an omnipotent and omniscient god.
>>
>>421043
>Both are valid as they can claim a direct line of successive bishops back to the apostles.

Not necessarily. There is some, rather thin, historical evidence Peter was the first pope, but the evidence isn't that great, it's as likely to be bullshit as not.
>>
>>420646
Gnosticism.
>>
>>420646
Calvinism
>>
I like the gothic catholic church it is a church rich in history and symbolism.
>>
Catharism
>>
>>421170
Jesus never sperged out about sola scriptura.
But he did state the evil would never prevail in his Church, which clearly contradicts protestant claims.
>>
>>420646
Judaism
>>
>>421174

So why did all of those priests fuck little boys and then get their sordid activities covered up by the Catholic Church?
>>
>>421330
There are bad people everywhere.
More kids were abused by teachers than by catholic priests.
>>
>>421358

There are a lot more teachers than Catholic priests.
>>
>>421403
>not realizing that many priests ran schools before separation of church and state
>stereotyping 2000 years of priests by the actions of a minority in a single generation
>>
>>421457
>Yea, yet evil would never happen in his church.
That's not what he said though.
>>
>>421438

Oh right.

You have evidence that the priests weren't fucking little boys back then?
>>
>>421015
Coptic Christianity looks pretty based. Any books you would recommend?
>>
>>421481
What? The deal is evil would never prevail, not that no person being in the Church would ever be evil.
>>
>>420730
I hope this is bait.
>>
I've always felt closer to Catholicism but that's just because I'm Irish.
The Protestants up North have permanently tainted my perception of their religion because they're massive dickheads.
>>
>>420646

Jewish Christianity. It's what Jesus preached, and the first Christians practiced.
>>
>>420646
Coptic/Aramaic?
>>
Based Quakers

They're the true fulfillment of Protestantism. Free of official doctrine and an overall absence of a middle agent between the practitioner and the divine. They also have next to no history of violence against others being sanctioned by any sort of Quaker official. Groundbreaking in their religious embrace of the abolitionist movement, women's rights (I'm sorry /pol/), and Pennsylvania, founded by a Quaker, was incredibly progressive in its stance on religious tolerance. If Jesus wants us to love God, our neighbors, and our enemies the Quaker faith is one of the few denominations that has truly followed his example.

I'm not a Christian btw but reading history they clearly are the most "pure" denomination
>>
File: 1427060071630.jpg (38 KB, 469x640) Image search: [Google]
1427060071630.jpg
38 KB, 469x640
>>421882

Jesus just preached Judaism and believed he was the Jewish Messiah, a claim that has been objectively proven wrong. And also a claim that was common among radical Jewish Rabbis at the time due to them being unable to understand why a people that had the theological understanding of being 'chosen' by Yahweh being dominated and conquered by the Roman state.

The whole of Christianity is just a heretical offshoot of Judaism, which Jesus himself would be horrified by, the ultimate irony.

If Jesus wasn't dead and could still comprehend the world he would be more horrifed by the fact he had been turned into a false idol by billions of people around the world than he would be that, actually, he was wrong, he wasn't the Messiah, he was just a very naughty boy.
>>
>>421121
>>421146
this my niggas, praise Wisdom
>>
>>421924
>And also a claim that was common among radical Jewish Rabbis at the time due to them being unable to understand why a people that had the theological understanding of being 'chosen' by Yahweh being dominated and conquered by the Roman state.

Actually this isn't even a polemic, that's the key aspect of Jewish faith.

Most ancient peoples thought like this:

>believe in some god
>foreigner conquers me
>obviously, my god was weak and his god was stronger, so I need to start worshipping his god

This is why so many of those ancient cults got wiped out of existence. While the Israelites thought like this:

>believe in God
>foreigner conquers me
>obviously we somehow disobeyed God and he used the foreigner as a tool to punish us
>we need to worship God even HARDER

It seems pretty simple now, but back then this was a townright theological revolution and the main reason why Jewish faith survived until modern times.
>>
>>421920
>taking Quakers seriously

Fuck off and be quiet somewhere else, pleb
>>
>>421993
That's not very Christian
>>
>>420646
Depends on what you are, slav or greek: orthodox
Other europeans: catholic
>>
>>421949
>>>/d/
>>
>>422029
>Slav is a synonym for Russian

Not this shit again. Many Slavs are Catholic / Protestant.
>>
>>421485
You have evidence that they were?
>>
File: 1403877769005.jpg (178 KB, 640x477) Image search: [Google]
1403877769005.jpg
178 KB, 640x477
>>422060
No slovenia, nobody cares about you
>>
File: traditional-religions.png (630 KB, 944x768) Image search: [Google]
traditional-religions.png
630 KB, 944x768
>>422091
>Poland
>Czech republic
>Slovakia
>Slovenia
>Croatia
>Sorbia (not a country, but still)
>>
>>422060
>>422077
>>422091
>>422102
Will one of you take my Croatian language final for me
>>
>>422102
What's up with hungarian and transylvanian protestants?
>>
>>422133
The Transylvanian protestants are Hungarians (Szeklers). What this map doesn't show is that Slovakia is also around 10% protestant, both Hungary and Slovakia (same country back then) used to be around 95% protestant until the Habsburg recatholized the hell out of it.
>>
File: Protestantism.jpg (75 KB, 660x946) Image search: [Google]
Protestantism.jpg
75 KB, 660x946
>>420646
It is reasonable to argue that Protestantism was a necessary factor in the development of the early church and Christianity as a whole. Unfortunately however, it deviated from its initially honest intentions into what proved to be a destructive force. We can see today it served to divide Christian people in an utterly pointless bloody schism.
What is even more unfortunate is the state of Protestantism today. Protestants must either reconcile themselves with fundamentalist sects who require their brethren to reject science and human development, or empty meaningless church entities whom, in their attempts to make no-one feel isolated foolishly sacrifice their original identities. Protestantism today is seasonal, optional and ultimately inconsequential.
>>
>>422102
>Tibetan Buddhism
Explain.
>>
>>422146
Based Habspergers
>>
>>422174
Kalmyks.
>>
>>422133
The ones in Translyvania are also Hungarians (they're Szekelys).
No idea why they’re protestant, though.
>>
>>422112
Mogu, al’ ću koristiti što više srbizma da bi sve više iznervirao profesora
>>
>>422249
Because they were protestants originally. Bohemia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Transylvania and Hungary used to be protestant as fuck. Better question would be why are they catholic now.
>>
>>421136
>I like the gothic catholic church
fucking emos
>>
>>421502
Your best bet is to travel to Southern Egypt and just live there for 10 years.
>>
>>421920
>Quakers
>Mormons
>Jehoves
>Scientologists
>Evangelists

fucking pokemon tier. at least mormons make some sense with poligamy.
>>
>>421136
Interestingly enough they originally called it Gothic as a pejorative, since they saw it as barbaric and unsophisticated (Goths were ancient barbarians).
>>
>>421043

And both claim to be the one true way. Catholicism is the correct religion because of all the Catholic miracles.
>>
>>420664
>Each off-shoot tried to be the most bible-bashing of them all
>proddies
>not bible-thumping literalists
>>
>>422377
Lutherans and Calvinists are not literalists. Especially not Lutherans.
>>
>>422249
The Catholics are Székelys and the Protestants are Transylvanian Saxons, who are Lutheran.
>>
>>422102
Whats up with the tibetian buddhists in southern Russia?
>>
>>422634
>I'm a retard who can't read the thread
>>
Only the words of God (Scripture) sustain the soul and spirit.

Since the Word of God is exclusive, true and single, it should be clear to those who have the heart to seek God’s truth that it is the Authorised (King James) Bible.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.